MRT H-Pipe - excess smoke after install

Thundermouse

Sep 17, 2003
Decatur, GA
I just installed the MRT H-pipe w/cats and after starting it back up, I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the tailpipes. I would have thought this to be normal w/ an offroad midpipe, but not from a catted version.

Is this amount of smoke normal (there was enough to make me a little nervous, and it smelled like a car with a rich tune), or do the cats just need some break in time?

I love the sound but I'm a little worried... Can anybody ease my mind?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Don't sweat it. I had the same thing happen when I installed my Bassani o/r x-pipe. Whatever it was burned off within the first hour or so of operation. No problems since then.

Dave Holman said:
Don't sweat it. I had the same thing happen when I installed my Bassani o/r x-pipe. Whatever it was burned off within the first hour or so of operation. No problems since then.
Thanks, Dave, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

Green Flea said:
I can't answer your question but I'm thinking of going with an MRT Catted pipe also. How do you like the power gains?
I can't comment on it yet, it hasn't left the driveway :shrug:
I'll give a report tommorrow though.

Dave Holman said:

:stupid: Right. What you are observing is likely an anti-corrosive coating placed on the piping to keep it from rusting in the warehouse and during shipment. You shouldn't be alarmed the first 3 to 4 hours of driving with the smell and smoke.

Now, after you run a tank of gas and fill 'er up--and she is still smoking, time to go back to the draw-ring board, Simon...