Electrical MSD 2 Step and Relay

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by RangerJoe, Dec 29, 2012.

1. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Advanced Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Hey guys, going to try getting around to installing my 2 step that I've had lying around for a few months. I'm going to to wire both it and my linelock to be "deactivated" upon release of the clutch pedal. The MSD instructions call for using a "Latching Relay" and provide their part# of 8961 for their relay.

My question is this: What is a "latching" relay? Is there relay any difference between this relay and a regular relay I can buy at the parts store or Radio Shack? I actually have a couple of 5 prong relays left over from a previous project.

Thanks for any help!

Joe

2. madmike1157

madmike1157 the humor is still lost on me SN Certified Technician

Albums:
    It's simple, but from what I read MSD wants you to use their 8960 DP/DT relay instead of what you have. Id personally just use one relay for the LL, and another dedicated to the clutch switch, w/the 12v signal wire that goes to (pin 85) on both relays split from the button you press for the LL.
    That way there'll be no need to buy their fancy smancy version of the same.

3. gearheadboy

gearheadboy Mod Dude

I was gonna wire my line lock and 2 step the same way. But I ran into an issue..my car was originally an AOD car and has no clutch switch currently.

4. jrichker

jrichker StangNet's favorite TOOL SN Certified Technician Founding Member

A latching relay holds the main contacts closed even if there is no power on the relay coil from the circuit that operates the coil. A regular relay releases the contacts when power is removed from the relay coil.