msd 6al

megan_92

Jun 6, 2005
Perkasie, PA
my car has had 2 msd 6al ignition boxes over the course of its life. everytime i turn the car off it runs for about 1-2 seconds before actually shutting off. my boyfriend installed one on his car and it does the same thing, but another friend of mine doesn't have this problem.

any idea why it does this? i'm not looking to correct it because it's not that big of a deal to me but i'm just wondering why it does this on some cars and not others?

• Sponsors (?)

some how electricity is contuning to flow even after the ignition has been shut off. i dont have this problem with my 92 but when my friend and i put in a 6a in his 72 nova, when he pulled the key out, the car kept running and never shut off. had to pull the wires off the coil to stop it. it was because on some cars you have to install the diod/resistor that comes with the box. this cuts the flow of power when the key is turned

The problem you are describing is called Dieseling. Did your boyfriend install both 6ALs? What plugs are you using? Dieseling can be caused by a number on things. Bypass the box and see if it goes away.