MSD 6al?

impulse001

Jan 16, 2008
New Jersey
Hey,

So I have a friend selling a used MSD 6al ignition for $100.. I believe he had it in a Honda Civic. I was wondering if this will fit my 87 GT, or if I need to buy other things for it to fit.. Not sure the model number yet, he is going to let me know what it is later tonight.

What can I expect from installing this ignition as far as any HP gains?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC there is three or four wires on the back. You have to cut some of them for your engine config (EG 4 cyl, 6cyl etc). With that in mind I'm sure you can do a little bit of soldering. As far a power gains go it would probably be minimal. They really outshine the stock ignition when you turn high RPMs (the stock setup doesn't have enough time to saturate the coil).

You really only need an ignition system if you have a fairly highly modified motor. Boost, high rev, etc. I don't know what you're running, but you probably won't see any gains even if you have a mild HCI car.

That said, if you can get it for cheap, and you know you'll be able to make it work for you, I'd go for it. Especially if you have plans on going with a wild setup in the future.

IIRC there is three or four wires on the back. You have to cut some of them for your engine config (EG 4 cyl, 6cyl etc). With that in mind I'm sure you can do a little bit of soldering. As far a power gains go it would probably be minimal. They really outshine the stock ignition when you turn high RPMs (the stock setup doesn't have enough time to saturate the coil).

Good info. Make sure you can reconnect the little wires! mine was a PITA!

my car definitely feels stronger and throttle response is better on my stock 86 5.0 HO. it will also help a bunch for emissions. my stock 86 with 372,000+ original miles still passes calif test only smog!!