MSD ignition choices?

MattK67

Jun 30, 2004
I have been looking at an MSD ignition system for my newly rebuilt 302. I was looking at a self standing distributor like this one... http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=MSD-8352&FROM=MG

I was also looking at this one that need an ignition box
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=MSD-8479&FROM=MG

What are the benefits from having the box? The car will be mostly a daily driver with a trip to the track every so often. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

i got a 73 mach 1 with a 351 cleveland, mostly stock, but few mods, i got the electronic ignition system with the 6 series ignition box and honestly it didnt make a noticeable difference, i think that if your car has a lot of mods/ponies it will help a lot, but with a mostly stock car it probably will not be very noticable if at all

I went from stock points to a MSD 6T box and a MSD pro billit distributer with 8.5 super conductor wires and i must say it was ABSOLUTLY amazing how mych better the car ran!!!!!!

I opted to get the one that required the box, but thats just me, i say get it, and dont forget the blaster 2 coil ;)

don't expect a gain in power over a well maintained stock ignition. All that MSD stuff looks nice, but I have a hard time spending close to $700 for something that doesn't really provide any gains on a street car.

That being said, you can use a points distributor or a duraspark distributor to trigger the MSD box. I'm using the duraspark stuff right now, but plan to switch to a digital 6 box for the 2 step rev control and retard features that I need on my track oriented car.

I have to disagree man, i think the pro billit distributer is a good investment, less parts to break or go bad IMO, ive had my MSD box (bought used for 25 bucks) and brand new MSD distributer on for allmost 2 years now and havent had to adjust ONE THING in the ignition system,(besides the vacume advance curve, but that was to get a little more spark advance up top) that to me is worth the 700 bucks, not to mention how bad ass it looks and the stares that people give the motor lol.......just my .02

I put that dizzy in my stroker, I'll bet I had only 300 to 400 miles on it before it failed. The internal module was or became heat sensitive, once the car got hot it would shut off.

I sent it back to them recently for repair, I'm hoping for it to be covered under warranty, but that is doubtful since I bought it two years ago, as we all know these projects take a lot longer than planned.

I replaced it with a Duraspark, I purchased the Crane spring and vacuum chamber kit so I could fine tune it some. I'm not sure if I will be putting the MSD back in after I get it back.

You had it for 2 years and only put 400 miles on it???? i bet the sitting had something to do with maybe? im not arguing that the duraspark wouldent be just as effective, im sure it is, just stating that i persoanlly have had a good experiance with it, 2 years and something likr 15,000 miles on my MSD setup, and yes i daily drive it ;)

Im probbly going to change the cap and rotor for the hell of it next week

I put on the MSD distributor and box. Made a huge difference for me over points. Best imporvement I am sure due to the box. The stand alone dist. does not have the spark capabilities of the box. If you want to keep it cheap, but effective, get the duraspark and a 6a box.