Muffler v. catback

• Sponsors (?)

SVTRocket said:
Any data out there supporting hp/tq gains of upgrading to performance mufflers only (using stock pipes), versus the gains obtained with a catback system?

Thanks

Part of the gain from most catbacks is that the pipes are not only larger, but are mandrel bent so you don't get any crimping and loss of cross section at the bends.

I've got the Magnaflow catback on mine (and love it). It's 2.5 inches, vs 2.25 for the stock catback. In addition, when putting in just mufflers you'll need to cut the stock stainless system. I'm not real familiar with the 2001's but I think you've got the IRS. With IRS the entire rear section of exhaust will come out without any cutting, since it's below the half shafts. With the solid axel the system has to be cut to get it off.

I'd go with the full catback if I were you. Better performance and no cutting/welding. Also easy to switch back to stock. I put the original catback back on the car when I traded my '03 for the '04, then installed the catback on the new car and put the stock pipes up in my attic.

Snake03 said:
...Part of the gain from most catbacks is that the pipes are not only larger, but are mandrel bent so you don't get any crimping and loss of cross section at the bends...

What he said. If you're just looking to improve the sound & if money is an issue/concern, then welding in a couple of mufflers will work. Otherwise, I'd also recommend a new catback instead of just welding in a pair of mufflers because it's a really easy job to do on the IRS (since everything hangs below the suspension, as mentioned above).

SVTRocket said:
Thanks guys,

I'll invest in the full the cat-back. I thought it would be nice to hang on to the original system, also.

I'm looking into the Magnaflow system. Looking at the web-site, I don't see an H/equalizer pipe.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/cat-backs/mustang.htm

I thought that was better engineering for a V8 nowadays for both power and sound?! I'd welcome your comments and maybe I'll call Magnaflow

You have to cut the pipes off unless you take your axle out, so there's no saving them. A catback won't do much for sound or power w/o a high-flow catted or offroad pipe, that's where the restriction IS! My car w/ just an offroad X and the stock catback is plenty LOUD, sounds good and it picked up major SOTP HP.

Catbacks are great, just be prepared ($$$) to do the whole exhaust...so you won't be disappointed. I even say do the pipe first and wait/see on the catback.

you do NOT have to cut the catback on 99+ cobras with IRS. just undo 4 bolts, and pop it out of the exhaust hangers. takes me and my girlfriend 10 mins to take mine out. magnaflow has a good system. I have one myself. if you go with magnaflow i would stick with an X pipe not and H pipe. magnaflow has X pipes. good luck

SVTRocket said:
Any data out there supporting hp/tq gains of upgrading to performance mufflers only (using stock pipes), versus the gains obtained with a catback system?

Thanks

Pick up a set of magnapacks and have a reputable muffler shop weld them in for you. With the coin you'll save by not replacing the whole cat back you can use for some gears for your baby! I did the mufflers only thing and with the packs it was really impressive. The true restriction in the exhaust is the actual muffers. :flag:

Last year I had a set of Magnaflows welded in my stock exhaust pipes not becasue I was cheap to buy the whole catback but becasue I liked the stock 2.75 inch exhaust tips, all the other tips on the available aftermarket catbacks are ugly so that's what turned me off of buying a set. Can't say that I have any data supporting a HP gain....maybe picked up 2-3 HP, who knows.....but the sound is absolutely beautifull. :banana: