Mufflers or Cat Back?

JimmyS5600

Jul 9, 2001
E Amherst Ny
Hi,
My 99 GT is too quiet for my taste. Would I get a bigger benefit in changeing the mufflers or a cat back? Mostly after sound but a perfromance boost would be great! Seems like it would be a bunch cheaper with just the muffler replacement.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
My 99 GT is too quiet for my taste. Would I get a bigger benefit in changeing the mufflers or a cat back? Mostly after sound but a perfromance boost would be great! Seems like it would be a bunch cheaper with just the muffler replacement.
Thanks

I am kinda in the same situation. I have seen this question asked before and a lot of guys say if they had it to do over again they would just weld in mufflers. I am going to be throwing a KB or Vortech on it in about a year though so I don't know.

EDIT: I had a Flowmaster cat-back on my 97 and the tips looked like ***** after a couple years. The stock ones on my 2000 still look great. Plus I am pretty sure I read aftermarket tailpipes get in the way of installing some parts. ie; Panhard Bar.

Buy good, high quality MILs and you wont have a problem. Another option is Diablo Predator or SCT Livewire, Xcal or similiar hand held tuner. This will also correct your speedo when you get gears - and you gotta get gears (hands down the best mod for seat of the pants - totally changes the car)
Honestly, I'd start from the rear of the exhaust and work forward...the best option (which is what I finally did for both GTs last year) is to buy and install both a midpipe and catback at the same time.