Mufflers

ron67fb said:
Those four factory cats might have something to do with that. My '86 has 2 chamber flowmasters and it's quiet. When my '67 had 2 chambers I had a migraine after every drive.
That definately had something to do with it, but after i put on 2 chamber flowmasters, it was perfect. not too loud, but sounded how it should to me.

• Sponsors (?)

so if i put flows on my car what will it sound like? loud, mello, quiet?(i know its kinda hard to describe a sound) and will i get any hp boost and how much? (1-5)(5-10)?

I got three chamber flowmasters (50 series) and like them, there is a noticable drone like most people say. It does sound good though. One muffler i would like to hear on a stang is the hooker areochamber. I had it on my TA and it was low and noticably louder than stock but quiet enough for everyday. Def. louder at WOT as well.

I have a set of Dynomax..or are they mangna flows? I know that when I got them you could see straight thru them. They are not too loud, but have a nice "Rasp" when you get on it. I also like how the new mustang stock system sounds.

Alarus said:
again i ask, is it worth it to put duel flows on it, what will i gain (any hp, mpg)

Just about anytime you put duals on in place of a factory single system, you will see some gains.

In your case, not that much. An engine is a vacuum pump, and you are only opening one end.

Does that answer your question?

lol, after the guy at work with the flows, I sure wouldnt own a set. He hated them after he got them also.

Personally they best tone wise IMO were the spin-techs. Not sure what ones the guy was running but they just sounded bad ass.

exactly, an engine is a vacuum pump. if you open up the intake and exhaust it will do wonders for you. thats why headers also make such a big difference. but just replacing mufflers wont do too much, it may feel just a little better. but if you replace the whole stock exhaust you will feel a difference and obviously hear a difference. if i were you, id wait and do it right. i did the whole system at once. tri y headers, 2.5" piping to 2.5" flowmasters, into dumps. that is a loud combo, especially with the cam in my motor. maybe too loud, but im happy with it. i couldnt handle it as a daily driver, but its not, its a weekend cruiser or cruise in car. so i think its appropriate. the difference between my car and an old chevy truck is that mine is actually fast, it isnt just loud and obnoxious.

EDIT: Here is what my car sounds like, excuse the belt slippage. i was having some aluminum pulley issues.
http://www.protoworks.com/Mustang/HomeAgain/sounds/65idleandrev.wav

ok that helps, so i take it that flows will make the car loud? i dont have a good speaker sys. on my comp so i couldnt really hear that too well. wouldnt sound that true anyway, alot of distortion from real to comp to real...anyway you told me id only be opening up one end, how would i open the other (at low cost) and what would all the advantages be?

The best way is to get an aftermarket intake. do u still have the factory 2bbl carb and intake? if so, an aftermarket edelbrock intake or weiand intake and a 4bbl carb is the best way without getting into expensive head mods and such. Id recommend a edelbrock rpm or weiand stealth manifold and a holley 4160 600cfm or edelbrock 500 cfm carb for pretty much stock applications. these will let u keep most if not all of the low end and and also flow much more in the high side. The intake will run around 150 dollars and the carb will be around 300 new, less if used. this combined with headers and full exhaust will give you noticable results and is the best bang for the buck mod imo next to rear end gears.

i beleave that its the stock intake but it has a 2 bbl holly on it (not shure on modle/size, it was on there before i got the car) right now im going more tords edelbrock...my holly gives me too many probs. (wont stay tuned) ill have it so i can roast the tires one day and the next it will just give me fits, i change the a/f and it works just fine...