Mufflers

• Sponsors (?)

I have an '85 Mustang GT parts car with flows on it. It also has no headliner, so the flows probably sound louder than they otherwise would. I like the way it sounds. Yes, they get loud at around 2k rpms. But I have 2.73 rear gears, so it's easy to avoid the drone at highway speeds. The speed I don't want to go is right around 75 in 5th gear. I need to go either slower or faster. With a non-overdrive car and steeper rear gears, the flows may be more annoying on long trips.

Before I got the car I was planning on going to something quiet for my '70 vert when I go to a V8. Now I'm thinking I want Delta Flows. I will most likely have the car geared to stay away from the drone at my common highway speeds. If you are going on long trips you might want to protect your hearing, as well. If you mostly just cruise around town at lower speeds you'll like flowmasters if your taste is similar to mine.

Whats are you putting them on?

What sound are you looking for?

Whatever you end up going with, have the exhaust routed over the rearend and out the back, otherwise you will have droning.

I think Flowmaster has sound samples on their website. But I wouldnt rely on them too much, but there's good text describing each muffler.

Me, I went with the Flomaster Delta 50 (love 'em) No droning here. Not too aggressive at idle or crusing but when you nail it, it screams.

1965pony said:
Hey Ron,
Is that what are you running on your fastback? I saw it drive by one day and it sounds great. Do you still have it? Haven't seen it around lately. Vin

It's mostly in the garage and has been for a while. Where did you see me? Must've been a while ago.

I have some pipes ordered so I can route it out the side. The tailpipes were banged up by the rearend, plus they didn't sound all that great because the guys who built my tailpipes used that crush-bent tubing crap.

Alarus, I appologize in advance for the highjack.
Hey Ron,
yeah its been awhile more than a year im guessing. I saw you crusing down Hillside. I was in a friends driveway. I work at the Dodge dealer on Serramonte Blvd.
Some of the tubing these guys use are real bad. Looks like a 2 1/2" pipe can get pinched down to 1 3/4" pipe. Nasty...I like mandrel bent my self. see you around.
Vince

heh no prob, people gotta talk somehow right? lol
anyway, what would it take to do it myself, where would i get the pipeing, ext. (only thing i cant bend, no bender) i can weld perty good, only thing is i cant get the car up that high...maby 2 feet unless i can get to use the lift at my old school

pipes

Hey,
two feet should work. I use to do full exhaust stuff with a car on drive up ramps at all four wheels. This would be the best way so you can asess clearence.
If you don't have a bender no problem. I buy J bends from Summit. A 2 1/2" mandrel j bend PN SUM621008 is about $16 each. You can buy an X pipe kit PN SUM642125 or a Flow master kit PN FLO 1011. Tig all that together and you have a nice aluminized exhaust system alot cheaper than a custom mandrel job...which goes for $450-$500 in my area.
Welder, chop saw, a jack , 5-6 jack stands and ramps your good to go. now get to work... :cheers: Vince

2 Chambers Loud

I agree that the 2 chamber lowmasters(series 40) are a bit loud. I have them on my 67 and sound pretty aggressive. but my cam is big too. Doing it again I would go to series 50, 3 chamber.

Summit already carries pre-bent exhaust kits for old Mustangs, part #680110. It comes with their own mufflers for $130. It's made for headers so with the stock logs you'd have to figure out how to route them up into the engine compartment. I'd suggest getting that kit and pay a shop to hook up the rest, shouldn't cost too much. If you're comfortable with welding and have a chop saw you could hook it yourself but I don't see a shop charging all that much just to hook up the front pipes. You'd probably be well under $200 or $250 total when you are done.

Later on as budget allows you can add your choice of crossover and mufflers if you decide you want to change them.