Muscle car comparision

390Fe

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Pottstown PA
Did anyone happen to see that Canadian show "Dream car garage" last night.

They did a comparison of all of the big '60's Detriot muscle cars (454 SS Chevelle, Buick GS, Hurst/Olds, AMC AMX, Hemi Challenger, and the Boss 429)

The winner by final subjective vote?

Boss 429! :D (Ran the quarter in 13.7!) As the host said ".. Anyone that tells you that a Boss '9 can't run in stock trim... Bull*****! (you kinda had to read his lips :rlaugh: )

It was just cool seeing those cars brutalized and abused - The sad part was the hemi car fried it's clutch.

• Sponsors (?)

390Fe said:
Did anyone happen to see that Canadian show "Dream car garage" last night.

They did a comparison of all of the big '60's Detriot muscle cars (454 SS Chevelle, Buick GS, Hurst/Olds, AMC AMX, Hemi Challenger, and the Boss 429)

The winner by final subjective vote?

Boss 429! :D (Ran the quarter in 13.7!) As the host said ".. Anyone that tells you that a Boss '9 can't run in stock trim... Bull*****! (you kinda had to read his lips :rlaugh: )

It was just cool seeing those cars brutalized and abused - The sad part was the hemi car fried it's clutch.

how did the AMX fair? my brother has a 69 AMX 390, but he wont take it to the stip and rarely takes it over 85

I had wanted to see that show! How did the H/O do?

Back in 1999, I took part in the Popular Mechanics Musclecar comparison with New Musclecars, and the Chevelle SS454 was the fastest of the bunch.

I'm suprised at the Boss '9, because as completely stock, they were not very fast. Maybe this car was 'massaged'?

Not as well as I thought it should, the little 390 (compared to the monster sized competition) just didn't have the torque. I know the AMX's were quick - having been walked by one... and at the time my mach was running 13.9's.

390Fe said:
Not as well as I thought it should, the little 390 (compared to the monster sized competition) just didn't have the torque. I know the AMX's were quick - having been walked by one... and at the time my mach was running 13.9's.

yeah, i know what you mean. my brother blew me away in his, and my 92 runs like 13.7

Chepie,

The GM's (except the Pontiac) were hampered by gearing (like 3.31's and such) and auto transmissions.
Since they were all completely showroom (down to the bias ply tires!!!!) the Boss '9 had an advantage with gearing (I think stock is like 3.91 standard) and a 4 spd trans.

I would have LOVED to see the dual quad Hemi Challenger run but the darn clutch gave up. (If it's not one thing its another with those darn Hemi cars :rlaugh: - something always is out of tune or breaking)