Must Cure Terrible Gas Milage!!!

JC 25TH

Oct 15, 2003
Georgia
I have a 90GT with stock motor and gears. I am getting about 150 miles out of a tank in the city and just a tad over 200 on the highway. The previous owner did put a Superchip in the car, but even that shouldn't affect the milage THAT much. I am going to do a tuneup replacing the filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc..and clean up the sensor on the car this weekend now that I have a little time off from work because of the holidays, but should I be looking elsewhere for my problem? I mean 10mpg on the stock motor is rediculous. This is my first Ford and my first fuel injected car, but the 400HP 355 carbureted motor I built for my camaro got 14mpg and almost 20 on the highway!!! Help me please...the gas attendants are starting to recognize me and always say "see you in a few"

• Sponsors (?)

I get about 160 in the city, or around 11mpg. If I'm nice to it, I can get 15mpg. On the highway, I get about 26 mpg. Mines stock, except for exhaust and the small stuff like timing. It's just that I'm always on the gas in the city. I like the smell of burning rubber. :p

put in some fuel injector cleaner that is big culprit for bad gad milage is dirty injectors the cap/rotor/wires will help if your not geting a hot enough spark then you car wont burn all the fuel as well and get bad gas milage and a lack of power so you should be fine once completetion of those things but 5.0's pass everything but a gas station. i didnt buy mine for fuel economy i bought it for POWER!!!!!

88stangmangt said:
put in some fuel injector cleaner that is big culprit for bad gad milage is dirty injectors the cap/rotor/wires will help if your not geting a hot enough spark then you car wont burn all the fuel as well and get bad gas milage and a lack of power so you should be fine once completetion of those things but 5.0's pass everything but a gas station. i didnt buy mine for fuel economy i bought it for POWER!!!!!

What kind/brand would you recommend for cleaning the injectors?

well I did a full tune up to her and if anything the gas milage got a little worse. I have a serious problem here and i can't put my finger on it. The car runs great, the engine is VERY strong, heck it will break the tires loose at will even with the stock 2.73s out back. But it is sucking down gas like mad. I just don't understand it! I cleaned and replaced everything i could think of. I am going to go back and double check my timing and turn down my fuel pressure tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

9mpg out of a stock car is absolutely rediculous!

Well, do you drive like a nut, or like you have some sense? Pull the codes. O2's could be to blame. What do your plugs look like? They should be black if you are running rich. Pull all of the plugs and look for one tan one and the rest black. If one injector goes lean, the puter is supposed to richen them all. Good luck. That is not right, unless you drive stupid all the time. I get close to 20 in the city and 26 on the hwy.

Jerry's right - pull the codes and see if your O2 sensors are working correctly. If they're defective, gas mileage will suffer. I'd add, however, that if you're city commute sees heavy stop and go, gas mileage will plummet. Mine gets 16-19 mpg in the city without heavy stop and go, 22-26 mpg on the highway trying my best to get good mileage.

I was getting about 20mpg in the city but that was keeping my foot out of it, now I'm suddenly getting about 11mpg in about a day's time and engine is running the same but running really rich,did your's ever get good milage?

I just bought the car recently, so I couldn't tell you as far as long term, but it has always gotten this kind of milage since I have had it. I do not drive like a nut at all. I was actually trying to baby it to stretch this tank out as much as possible. I replaced the O2s when I did a tune up on friday. All the plugs actually looked great when I pulled them too thats why I am at a loss.

I am starting to think that I have a leak in my system somewhere (possibly where my guage is mounted). The plugs were perfect when I pulled them out, yet I my fuel has to be going somewhere! I am going to remove the Superchip that the previous owner put into the computer to see what kind of results I obtain.

JC 25TH said:
I just bought the car recently, so I couldn't tell you as far as long term, but it has always gotten this kind of milage since I have had it. I do not drive like a nut at all. I was actually trying to baby it to stretch this tank out as much as possible. I replaced the O2s when I did a tune up on friday. All the plugs actually looked great when I pulled them too thats why I am at a loss.

I noticed a reply saying to use some fuel cleaner,well I've used all of them in the past just experimenting on fuel economy and never had any real difference in mpg's.finally saw a study on fuel additives and it's been proven that none of them work,I believe it because I tried them all several times.

Did you change the fuel filter? Check your fuel lines. I had a slight leak on the line that goes out of the fuel filter.

I've heard a faulty coil will give you bad gas milage.

TrophyHead said:
Did you change the fuel filter? Check your fuel lines. I had a slight leak on the line that goes out of the fuel filter.

I've heard a faulty coil will give you bad gas milage.

I did change the fuel filter. I even let the car run for a little while to make sure it wasn't leaking. I do want to change the ignition. I have a MSD 6AL box from my old car that I want to put on, but I haven't found a good mounting spot without switching over to a fenderwell cold air setup.