Must Cure Terrible Gas Milage!!!

• Sponsors (?)

check your timing chane if the camshaft gets to retarded gas mileage drops. you can check it by grabbing the crank pulleys and turning the crank cw to ccw youll feel the slop, the engine turns easily then the chain tightens, it its more then 10 degrees a new chain would definity help,

my car is a carbed 302 e cam ported c3oe 289 heads get 8 mpg in town 17 on the highway i feel ya. i bought a 93 grand am and its paying for itself.

cardudeusa said:
When you get gas how many gallons does it take to fill it up? Maby your gauge isnt working right? :shrug:

well it really isn't an issue with the gas guage. The numbers speak for themselves. I am going to get some codes pulled today and go from there. I am hoping that i am leaking at the fuel rail where my guages is mounted. I know it doesn't leak at idle, but maybe under load.

your mpg is about the same as mine. i don't drive crazy or anything but it is hard to stay out of the gas.mine is far from stock but when it was it was really not much different. just enjoy the car. does the car have aftermarket whiteface gauges? if it does your gauge may be off.

i don't think my guages are off and if they are it isn't by much. When you do the math subtracting what you put in from the size of the tank the guages don't even matter only the odometer...which is funcitonal. I just pulled the codes and it looks as if my MAF sensor has gone bad. Im am going to run up to Mustangs Unlimited and get one. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Wow, what an expensive holiday weekend!

Well, it looks like that cured the problem. I haven't run a full tank yet so I don't know the milage, but the needle sure as hell doesn't move as fast as it did! Before the MAF sensor, I would be right below half tank at 70 miles. I already put 50 miles on this fresh tank and its just left the full mark. I'll see what kind of milage i get though. It just goes to show that the check engine light might not always come on when you have a problem. Something as important as the MAF sensor went bad and there was absolutly no indication whatsoever. Even the guys at autozone didn't think the scanner would pull any codes if my check engine light wasnt on. I appreciate the assistance...

hmm...I used to get like 210 to a tank, now I only get like 150 at most. car sat for a month, all of a sudden I get bad mileage..can't find a visible leak...need to find that UV dye for gas..bad mileage sucks