mustang autocross?

• Sponsors (?)

7marcdetkalarge.jpg

:drool:

Attachments

• 7marcdetkalarge.jpg
    7marcdetkalarge.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 5,697
I know of lots of people that use them for auto cross. I'm sure they would be competitive if set up right. This is something that I would love to get into. I personally think that the auto cross would be more fun than drag racing.

gregpro50 said:
I know of lots of people that use them for auto cross. I'm sure they would be competitive if set up right. This is something that I would love to get into. I personally think that the auto cross would be more fun than drag racing.

I do too. Gee, I thought I was alone there!!! But you have to admit drag racing is much more eh, hem... convienient shall we say? :D

They're not the best cars for AutoX, but it sure is damn fun! I regularly AutoX mine, and so does fowler86gt. Driving skill is more important than a badass car. I've beaten much "better" cars because they have crappy drivers. And I've been beaten by "crappy" cars because the driver is better than I am. I say take your car out there, have some fun and see how good of a driver you can become.

My car on the front straight of California Speedway, about 130mph
Fontana.jpg

My car at the AutoX (before 5lug conversion and Bullitt rims)

185.jpg

fowler86gt's car at Willow Springs
103_0313.jpg

Attachments

• Fontana.jpg
    Fontana.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 103_0313.jpg
    103_0313.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 262
That is what im actually doing, is building my mustang up for auto cross. the coupes are the best i heard for auto cross just because they are lighter then the hatchbacks but you can make any car light as possible. weight redux.

Nick

A must read for auto x rs

The mustang performance handbook 2 by william r mathis. this is a must read has everything you wanted to know about auto crossing. He explains all the pitfalls of the suspension geometry of the fox body mustangs and the fixes for them. I myself love to go around corners, so you are not alone Chris

how do you get your car on an autocross for fun? do you need to pass an inspection? what if your car is stock? can you like "rent" the track? I know the sebring track is not too far from here, do i have to wait for some kind of special event so i can do a few laps?

We have a tech inspection here. Easy to pass. No leaks, battery strapped down, helmet. About as basic as that. I autocross for fun. No way I'm going to win in my class. Just pay your fees, make your runs, and go home with a hugeass smile on your face!

I bet a SVO would do better. Better front end suspension, lighter, and not too much torque. I was actually closer to my friends car when I had a stock motor. Now that I have a built 327, all it does is roast the tires. Even the Autocross tires (VictoRacers). Traction? What's that! :crazy: Even rolling in to the throttle, I end up roasting the rear tires. But it's damn fun each and every time!

runningmole said:
We have a tech inspection here. Easy to pass. No leaks, battery strapped down, helmet. About as basic as that. I autocross for fun. No way I'm going to win in my class. Just pay your fees, make your runs, and go home with a hugeass smile on your face!

I bet a SVO would do better. Better front end suspension, lighter, and not too much torque. I was actually closer to my friends car when I had a stock motor. Now that I have a built 327, all it does is roast the tires. Even the Autocross tires (VictoRacers). Traction? What's that! :crazy: Even rolling in to the throttle, I end up roasting the rear tires. But it's damn fun each and every time!

DAmn, that sounds awsome, maybe when im rich ill build an autocross fox for fun :)

I am setting up an autocross Mustang from my old 1987 LX 5.0. It is lighter than the GT and easily modified. Unlike most racing genres, autocross is less about the motor and more about suspension/chassis. Those are both shortcomings for the foxbodies. A little time and effort can produce one helluva autocross Mustang though. My mods (as well as those in the works) are as follows:

Front and Rear strut/shock tower braces
Subframe connectors
Front/Rear Tubular Sway bars (stronger and lighter weight!)
Lowered springs
Caster/camber plates
Upper/Lower rear control arms
Torque Arm
Roll cage (not necessary, but safety is always first!)
Rear Axle Truss
All bushings are polyurethane

The Motor is a stock 5.0 with a few ideas on how to get a few extra ponies out of the Speed Density setup.

Ford Cobra intake (can also use Intakes from 5.0 Explorers '95+)
65mm Throttle Body
GT40 heads
Headers
X-pipe (or off road pipe)
High Flow mufflers
155 lph fuel pump
adjustable fuel pressure regulator
24lb injectors
CAM with around 112-114 degree center lobe (vacuum is important for SD motors!)