Mustang engine backfiring update

62thunderbird

Jul 2, 2008
Nor Cal
Well I changed all my spark plugs and now it seems to be fine, it has less than a half a tank and it does not do it so I think it is in the electrical sys. i bought some autolite plugs. When i was changing the plugs I found that cylinder #3 wire had a gash in it. I glued it and wrapped it in electrical tape for a temporary fix. I am getting new plug wires tommorow. and I am going ahead and replacing my o2s.

• Sponsors (?)

Its definatly possible that #3 wire was arching out somewhere and not feeding sufficient spark to that cylinder, causing the mis-fire.

What kind of shape were your spark plugs in when you pulled them?

The spark plug that came out of that cylinder was covered in surface rust. And cylinder #5 plug had cracked porslin too. All the plugs were lean but I showed them to my auto teacher and said it was nothing to worry about if it gets leaner then I would want to richen it out. I would like to richen it out anyways which is why I am getting a new o2s just to see if that is the main cause why it is lean. The plugs were so tight I thought I was going to break them getting them out. The guy who built this motor really did not know what he was doing. they were overall dirty and I was happy to replace them.

No, but should I pull them back out? and redo them? I am getting plug wires tommorow and when the wires are off I can pull them out and put anti sieze on. The old plugs did not have any antisieze and they were tight but I think the guy who put them in tightened them way to tight.

I didnt put any on mine and they were fine.

There is a debate about using anti-sieze on a 4.6... some say it will help the plugs back out (which they are infamous for) and eventually blow out, and some say your crazy for not using any.

I havnt used any and so far no problems. I change them every 30k though, as I use coppers.