Mustang factory alarm

Inspired from the stealing mustang thread..... just wondering how the factory alarm works on the 99+ Stangs. I see the theft light blinking, but i have NEVER set the damn thing off!! i can bump the car, close the hood and do whatever w/ the alarm on, but the damn thing never goes off. Its not even sound sensitive!! what the hell does it do and when will it go off??? has anyone ever set it off???

• Sponsors (?)

streetstang03 said:
Inspired from the stealing mustang thread..... just wondering how the factory alarm works on the 99+ Stangs. I see the theft light blinking, but i have NEVER set the damn thing off!! i can bump the car, close the hood and do whatever w/ the alarm on, but the damn thing never goes off. Its not even sound sensitive!! what the hell does it do and when will it go off??? has anyone ever set it off???
:stupid: subscribing

You could try reading the manual (what people in tech support call RTFM). There is no factory alarm, the theft deterrent is the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System). The key word here is passive.

There is a chip in the plastic base of the ignition key, with a code. If the code is not recognized by the car when the key is inserted, the fuel system shuts down, and the car will not start.

cybore said:
You could try reading the manual (what people in tech support call RTFM). There is no factory alarm, the theft deterrent is the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System). The key word here is passive.

There is a chip in the plastic base of the ignition key, with a code. If the code is not recognized by the car when the key is inserted, the fuel system shuts down, and the car will not start.

yup, hence the reason why you have to have a module and an spare key for any remote start application on a lot of fords. :(

just buy a new alarm, the only unusual part on the install if you dont do remote start is the door triggers need to be diode isolated...or it was the lock/unlock i cant remember.

The only time i've been able to set my alarm off was when i got in my car and my friend hit the auto lock button from the inside (this, i guess arms the alarm). Then when i tried starting the car the alarm went off. :shrug:
O yes and i also think i remember setting it off again when the auto lock button was hit and then the auto unlock and the door was opened. Maybe that wasnt how it happened i dont remember exactly. Guess ill have to try it out tomorrow.

streetstang03 said:

good question :D try this leave your window down, set the alarm and
open the door using the inside handle, this is the only way I could set it
off on my old car.

Alright, here is how an alarm works...

First off, Ford has the option of having an actual alarm with shock sensors and the whole deal.
The alarm from Ford, just like all other alarms, comes with an adjustable shock sensor. It has a small adjuster that allows you to make the alarm as sensitive as you want. It's on the little box under your dash that is for the alarm shock sensor.

Also, once you activate your alarm when you lock your car, you have to wait from 15-30 seconds before the actual shock sensor and door sensor are active and can make the siren go off.

So if you are having trouble setting your alarm off by bumping it, then adjust the shock sensor to be more sensitive.

edothekid said:
Alright, here is how an alarm works...

First off, Ford has the option of having an actual alarm with shock sensors and the whole deal.
The alarm from Ford, just like all other alarms, comes with an adjustable shock sensor. It has a small adjuster that allows you to make the alarm as sensitive as you want. It's on the little box under your dash that is for the alarm shock sensor.

Also, once you activate your alarm when you lock your car, you have to wait from 15-30 seconds before the actual shock sensor and door sensor are active and can make the siren go off.

So if you are having trouble setting your alarm off by bumping it, then adjust the shock sensor to be more sensitive.

do you have a picture or more specific location and description of the adjustment box :shrug: i wanna try making it more sensitive and let everyone know how it goes.

mcmmotorsports said:
Provided you have that option. Most just have the P.A.T.S. Key and no alarm.

Very true!

I just bought an 04 MUstang GT over the weekend and they had that option already installed in my Mustang . The price for it was $595. I told them that I didn't want that alarm, but at the end of the deal, they ended up throwing it in there for free.

By the way, my 1996 Mustang GT was put to rest about a week ago.
RIP- 1996 Mustang GT (1996-2004)

I started a tread about this, so anyone cares to morn with me come on in.
I also listed all the stuff thats I took of my 96 that are up for sale and soon to go up on ebay.

streetstang03 said:
do you have a picture or more specific location and description of the adjustment box :shrug: i wanna try making it more sensitive and let everyone know how it goes.

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow with somemore detail as to how to do this. Cool?