Mustang for Towing

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
Anyone know if my stang could be used for towing a small boat....example 17' bowrider type of boat? I don't have a manual so I'm not sure what it says. Anyone ever done this? I'm sure it has the power, just don't want to hurt my baby.

I want to buy a boat....but all we have is this stang and a 4cyl Hyundai Sonata...and I'm guessing it doesn't have the power to pull a boat.

• Sponsors (?)

I know....the thought of a hitch on my stang makes my peter shrink....but the thought of being on the Ohio River in a boat feels like an orgy right now. I've thought about just renting some dock-space at a marina and keep the boat there, but I'd still need something to tow the boat every so often.

Besides looking ugly, would towing hurt my car any?

if youve got a tranny cooler and some gears, itd probably be alright. a buddy of mine has a hitch on his c6 z06. he uses it for his little trailer to tow his wheels and slicks and tools and spareparts to the autocross

One option cheaper than renting a boat slip, is to rent a truck for the weekend or when you want to go boating(one that has a tow hitch) :nice:

Jinx102672 said:
One option cheaper than renting a boat slip, is to rent a truck for the weekend or when you want to go boating(one that has a tow hitch) :nice:

I thought about doing that....my goal is to be able to come home from work and easily go boating for a couple hours. I work for public schools, so nowadays I get home at 3:00. And I"m off summers so having a boat at a marina would be very convenient if I wanted to use it a lot. Renting the truck might be an option for those few times I have to move it or something though if I do have a boat at a marina. Basically I'd like to be able to go boating without spending a lot of prep time every time.

Put beefier springs (or leaves) in the back and you won't notice the weight in that light of a trailer. Price out what it wold cost and it might be worth it to buy a beater (couple hundred dollars) to just tow your boat.

my manual says that the stang is only good for towing up to 500lbs... so if you've got two fat dudes (or chicks) in the back you're probably over that already...

also go for the super-hyper-flex-carbon-fiber stage 14 hitch and reciever...

I've got a hide-a-hitch on my vert and it's barely noticeable. I only tow my Sea Doo with it though. I've seen one guy tow a Sea Doo jet boat wth his but depending on the weight of the boat, I'd think about a hooptie truck for towing. You might need to upgrade your brakes for towing something that large.:shrug:

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll have to postpone my boat dreams till next spring. Don't really have room to store a boat and a beater truck at my house with only a 2 car garage. And don't really have the money this year to pay for a boat, beater truck, and storage (marina or facility) for the boat. Hmmm....the wife becomes an RN in a year, I can see it now! Maybe I'll upgrade this stang for a C6 and just use it to tow my house too!