Mustang II, a Forgotten American Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have been a Mustang II enthusiest all my life. I have always believed in the little Mustang that Lee Iacocca dubbed "the little Jewel." Born in the uncertain times of the oil crisis; the Mustang II has more significance then most people give it credit for. It saved not only Ford, but the American automobile. I filled up my gas tank today and watched the price soar as the tank filled. I have never been so proud of my Mustang IIs as I am today. However, i am very disturbed about the current course of the II's image and direction in automotive history.
I hear all the time from many people, even people who have IIs who don't really appreciate them. Every car I have seen has been completely ruined by neglect and abused by owners who have no respect for the car. Last summer, my friend and I found a car so ruined that we could not even tell wether it was a Ghia or a coupe. Even the door and buck tags were different and the vin made no sense at all!! I also saw a 4 cylinder hatchback for sale. The seller said that even though it had the 4 banger in it it "had potential for a V8 coversion" My point is that these cars and not appreciated for what they are. Nobody makes reproduction parts for our cars so we have to canibalize cars to get crucial parts. Even cars with great potential get ruined or their fate meets the crusher.
We are truly an endangered species! I see so many of these cars just ruined by people who only see value in parts.

The Mustang II proved that even in the most difficult of times, that the American automobile would not only survive, but rise to triumph and see the Mustang enjoy 40 years of thrills! Motor Trend was right after all! :D

• Sponsors (?)

I couldn't agree with you more! A month ago my husband talked me into buying a 78 hatchback when I really wanted a 60's something stang. Now we just found and bought a 78 cobra.

This poor cobra hadn't even been started in 2-3 years. It had been stored outside and has quite a bit of surface rust but the interior is beautiful and the engine is original (we're only the 3rd owners). Before we got it started my husband actually talked about parting it out and I was against it. This car is almost all original. It appears the rear end has been replaced but other than that it is great and I'm going to fight to keep it that way. I can't wait until we do a little more cleaning up of the body and I can email the person we bought it from a picture or video clip so he can see what he let go to waste. Why do people buy these cars and then let them sit until they are virtually worthless? (Sadly enough I even know of a 70 boss 302 that someone is ignoring.)

The first weekend we had our II we were in a parking lot and someone asked us what we would want for that Pinto. He was looking for something to soop up. My husband and I couldn't get out the words, "It's not for sale!" fast enough.

Two's are great cars! We need to promote them more and drive them daily (if we can afford it) so others will learn to appreciate them too. I'll be driving mine a lot right now as my regular daily driver just got rear ended and will be in the shop. Anyone know where I can get a big neon sign that says, "It's a II and I'm proud of it!"

I honestly don't understand why people hate IIs.

They're lighter and handle better than older generation stangs. They look just as good as any other stang in restored condition, and they're cheap.
In the old days, rodders wanted cheap and fast more than anything else.
I think people have lost sight of what hot rodding is all about.
It's not about some kind of prestige, or whatever.

A built II can and will destroy most other cars on the road. The only complaint I have about the II is that damn strut-rod support system on the sub-frame, which makes it tight and awkward to work around, especially for large headers. Once I finish getting rid of that strut-system on my car, I will consider the vehicle to be perfect. I couldnt ask for anything better.

I don't know if everyone feels this way but I respect a car just as much if it has a 4cyl or a 8cyl, i look at gas prices now and wonder how it would be if my car was still equipped with that 171ci.. and tim and i are in the process of dismantling a coupe but its not a bad car at all as far as body wise.. i think if people would just get their heads out of their a*** and take time to understand the ii and what it meant for the automotive industry then there would be alot more running around and we wouldn't look at a Mustang magazine and see 64-73 79-93 94-98 and etc.

My II has become the recent target for bashing. I think people won't open their eyes and they are too proud to admit that the II is really a nice car. Either that or they have too much rice up their ass :rolleyes: The most crap that I get for my car is my 5.0 only make 140 hp, but 240 torque. It's a stock 79 engine. And I tell them that, and they act like it can't be modded. :rolleyes: I actually had a girl with a prelude call me a ricer! Because I was listing the plans for my car, and I said I wouldn't race anyone until I had a different cam and headers. Anyway a girl with a honda prelude running 14's with nitrous called my mustang II rice. Is that not the funniest **** you've heard? lol

Oh and another thing, I'm almost ashamed of my generation of cars. The 70's people were driving stangs, gto's, firebirds, camaros. My generation thinks a honda civic with 18's is the best thing ever.. :( And they have no respect for muscle cars.

All cars have strengths and weaknesses. I've owned Mustangs from many different generations and I can see some reasons why the II hasn't caught on with people who restore cars. For one, working on my 68, everything is steel of some sort... even the dashboard. So I can weld it, beat on it, sand it and in general mold it back into shape. Ever tried fixing a 74-78 urethane bumper that is all bubbly from the steel supports rusting beneath it? Not an easy job or at least not for me. What about the plastic chin support that the spoiler bolts to in the front? I don't think I've ever seen one hold up very well. Although the front suspension was ahead of its time, the gas tank seems like an utterly flawed design to me. That whole reserve tank in the wheelwell is just a kludge if I've ever seen one. As far as the engine goes, offsetting it to the passenger's side presents some real modification problems as well and the engine compartment isn't roomy to begin with. Anyway before I get a bunch of people hating me... I love my II and wouldn't give it up for the world but I can't say Ford made the car perfect. The II has a lot of historical significance but honestly that stuff doesn't mean much to me. I like a hotrod and that is why I restore cars so that they go fast and sound good. If any one reason has kept me staunchly committed to my II it has been the challenge of making it into something.

d

Oh and another thing, I'm almost ashamed of my generation of cars. The 70's people were driving stangs, gto's, firebirds, camaros. My generation thinks a honda civic with 18's is the best thing ever.. And they have no respect for muscle cars.

You should apply for the Mustang Monthly "YO" club. each month they recognize your generation that has an older stang with a 500.00 yep 500 dollar award! It would be nice to see a II win it. Mustang Monthly is generally favorable to II's

JOhn

I love my II

I think that II´s will be eventually widely recognized by what it has done for the automotive industry but, much more, for what it has done for the Mustang mith.

I do not understand why people don´t see that without the II´s we would never had the 2005´s...

Anyway, I was also trying to find a 68 when I found my II to restore. I have already dedicated around 3 years for the project and, despite the $$ that I have to put on it to make it shine again (even worse in Brazil, you can imagine, having to import everything), I could not be prouder of it.
Now that it is running again (not finished yet though) I can see people turning heads when I pass by.

So, it is really good to be around of you who love and respect the IIs.

For those of you who have not had the chance to take a look on what I have been doing with my MII since 2001, please visit my project site.

Mstng2 said:
Oh and another thing, I'm almost ashamed of my generation of cars. The 70's people were driving stangs, gto's, firebirds, camaros. My generation thinks a honda civic with 18's is the best thing ever.. And they have no respect for muscle cars.

You should apply for the Mustang Monthly "YO" club. each month they recognize your generation that has an older stang with a 500.00 yep 500 dollar award! It would be nice to see a II win it. Mustang Monthly is generally favorable to II's

JOhn

Yeah I'm in it. :nice:

Obviously you guys on this site know... but I really think the $ value of the II's will be going up over the next five years - too many getting crushed or abused. Besides your own if you have one... when was the last time you saw a Cobra II or a King Cobra on the road that is relatively complete?? I see more classics, Mach's, and every other style around as I cruise.

Personally I think the Cobra II looks close to the early Shelbys. I don't think up here I will find a complete one, I will probably make a cruiser Cobra II clone out of a basic one.

I have never seen a genuine King on the street, and I've been into IIs since I got mine, in 1989.
In the early 90s, I used to see a Cobra II here and there, but I don't think I've seen one in a couple YEARS.

IIs are extremely rare these days. And the chances of me seeing another built-up II around here is next to zero. I see 60s Stangs all the time, but no IIs. I like the fact that my II has become much more rare.

People squint at my car and say things like, "Holy cow, is that a Mustang TWO??"

Blue Thunder said:
I have never seen a genuine King on the street, and I've been into IIs since I got mine, in 1989.

You know, now that you mention it, I just realized that I've never seen one in person. That is, unless my memory is failing me at the moment, and I've liked II's since the "Cobra bites man" ads.

Of course if you divide 4,318 by 50 states plus Canada, there were only like 75 per. I bet not many found the junkyard though, unless they were wrecked.

i had the opportunity to buy an orginal King Cobra in 1991, and am i glad a did! right now the tires and the battery are the only two non stock items on the car. yep it is rare, but i have seen another in my city, but that was a couple of years ago. i will eventually get mine painted and in show condition, but i still like firing it up and going for short cruises. NEVER fails to draw attention to it. some are not sure what it is, some know and smile and wave. IIs rule!!!h

Blue coyote said:
Kinda funny that the Cobras and King Cobras seem less rare up here in Canada. While I don't see them that often, I have seen several over the years, and I see Mustang IIs in general every couple of weeks...

i agree with you on that. if i happen to see a II on the road it is usually a cobra and rarely the other King in my city. not too many ghias or regulat h/bs. probably cuz the cobras and Kings were deemed the only one that were 'collectible'. personally i would love to some day collect all available body styles. :rolleyes:

Even funnier is that I see WAY more IIs than I do Pintos and Bobcats combined!

The downside is that I also see the occasional Pacer....I swear that Canada's west coast is the "classic" car capital of Canada. Same with trucks, too. Its not that uncommon to see an unrestored old International or split-window microbus just cruising around town...

better yet, when was the last time you saw a Mach 1 on the road compared to a Cobra ;). While I admit I'm having the rea and front Cobra spoilers added, I will keep the paint scheme, and not make another clone. I just think the hatches look like they are missing something without the rear deck spoiler.

77sleeper said:
the only M1MII I have ever seen in real life is Darryls.

when was the last time you saw a stallion?
Does the one on ebay a while ago count lol. I can honestly say never. Almost bought a white MPG car, but instead bought my Mach 1 about 2 days later- didn't have the funds, or I probably would have bought them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.