Mustang making ticking noise

chris23g

Jan 21, 2007
Hey, I have a 2003 GT auto with 93k, and it started recently making a ticking type noise similar to what an exhaust leak would sound like. The exhaust has been checked throughly and is fine. The noise is coming on the passanger side up towards the engine. The exhaust guy said that it sounded like something to do with the valves, possibly valve tapping, but thats just his opinio idk. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

MODS

3.73 gear
Magnaflow Catback
Pypes o/r X pipe
BBK Cold Air Intake
K & N Air Extreme
75 mm Throttle Body & Plenum
Sniper Tuned
Rear end rebuilt.

• Sponsors (?)

COULD be this.

TSB 03-25-6

Some vehicles, equipped with the Romeo built 4.6L 2V engine, with an "ENGINE BUILD DATE" prior to 9/17/2003 may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the cylinder head. The noise may be more prevalent in the front wheel well area and may not be heard with the hood open.

Action

Replace the cylinder head and cam assembly

Would a plug about to blow out make a ticking sound which raises with rpm? My 98 gt developed this today:(

Yes, it will speed up and slow down with RPM. Check the plugs and make sure they're seated properly.

Also, I had quite a bit of valvetrain noise. I was using the rugular Mobil1 synthetic 5w-30 in the car with an FL820S filter. I switched to the Mobil 1 5w-30 Extended Performance formula at the last oil change and almost all the valvetrain noise is gone.

Yes, it will speed up and slow down with RPM. Check the plugs and make sure they're seated properly.

Also, I had quite a bit of valvetrain noise. I was using the rugular Mobil1 synthetic 5w-30 in the car with an FL820S filter. I switched to the at the last oil change and almost all the valvetrain noise is gone.

Well I took out every spark plug and reseated them to 14 ft-lbs, two seemed loose but the ticking is still there. :shrug: The ticking only happens from 2000 to 2800 rpms, freeway speeds it really ticks. It doesn't tick at idle, only when the engine is under load and seems to come from the front of the engine. I also changed the oil and used the Mobil 1 5w-30 Extended Performance formula and the old oil was same as always nothing out of the ordinary. Should I check the exhaust next or the belt tensioner?

Find a hollow pipe. Something like 1in. diameter PVC pipe or something like that that is kinda long. I know you said the exhaust has been thoroughly checked but... Have someone hold the engine at an rpm where you hear the ticking. Put one end of the pipe to your ear and run the pther end down around the exhaust manifold gaskets where they meet the head. See if you hear anything.

Also, get a solid shaft, large screwdriver, rebar, or something like that. Put one end up against your ear and the other end on the accessory drives one by one.

For instance, to check the belt tensioner put one end on the stationary bolt head and the other end to your ear. You should hear a smooth hiss like sound if the bearing is good.

For the alt put the other end as close to the pulley as possible.

And so on for the other accessories.

Find a hollow pipe. Something like 1in. diameter PVC pipe or something like that that is kinda long. I know you said the exhaust has been thoroughly checked but... Have someone hold the engine at an rpm where you hear the ticking. Put one end of the pipe to your ear and run the pther end down around the exhaust manifold gaskets where they meet the head. See if you hear anything.

Also, get a solid shaft, large screwdriver, rebar, or something like that. Put one end up against your ear and the other end on the accessory drives one by one.

For instance, to check the belt tensioner put one end on the stationary bolt head and the other end to your ear. You should hear a smooth hiss like sound if the bearing is good.

For the alt put the other end as close to the pulley as possible.

And so on for the other accessories.

One more thing to add, I was stopped at a stop light and it just died and started right back up and it's never done that before. O it is an automatic. Could this be the alternator going and could this make a ticking noise (going bad alternator)?

Are you still having this problem? A friend of mine with an '04 is having the same issue, we traded IAC's and he still is suffering from a tick and occasional dying. His too is an Auto...I am going to try to con him into taking of is alternator and having AZ test it for him.

Well I got a new alternator and cleaned up the battery, no more dying issues. As for the ticking, its still there. It ticks with the belt off and I changed the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer) so I know its in the engine. It can't be the valve train because it is all brand new from when I did my head-swap not to long ago. I'm thinking it is a bad wrist pin so I'm in the market for a new forged engine. I was looking at MMR 600 but I might just spend a little more and get the MMR 800 with all the bells and whistles for a grand total of 3700.:)

Only ticking under load really sounds like an exhaust leak.. You probably have a leak at the manifold.

You could also try unplugging the injectors one at a time an see if the tick is still there.. Then you will know which cylinder it's coming from.

As for the Mobile1 Extended Performance, I noticed the exact same thing in my 2007 Focus ZX5. Cold starts are now quiet and the motor has fewer "noises". Used to be that the motor would tick for a few seconds during a cold start. Didn't change filter types either. Only thing changed was the oil. I went from regular Mobile1 5-20 to Extended Perf. 5-20

Riley

Only ticking under load really sounds like an exhaust leak.. You probably have a leak at the manifold.

You could also try unplugging the injectors one at a time an see if the tick is still there.. Then you will know which cylinder it's coming from.

As for the Mobile1 Extended Performance, I noticed the exact same thing in my 2007 Focus ZX5. Cold starts are now quiet and the motor has fewer "noises". Used to be that the motor would tick for a few seconds during a cold start. Didn't change filter types either. Only thing changed was the oil. I went from regular Mobile1 5-20 to Extended Perf. 5-20

Riley

That was one of the first things I checked but everything looked clean by the manifolds, wouldn't there be black residue if I had an exhaust leak there?