Mustang Related (not Fox)

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by LarsD, Sep 27, 2013.

1. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I figured I'd post here since you guys know me better and there isn't much traffic in the 1st gen side of the forums. I was out poking around on my wife's 67 today. Decided to pull the "battery box" (code for a chunk of sheet metal shaped like an L). Found rot in the core support and inner fender. I'm not terribly surprised as this is a problem area for 1st gen Mustangs, plus the hackneyed battery box kind tipped me off. Good news is once I removed the monstrosity of a battery holder I found I could fit the spare aluminum radiator I had into the car to replace the corroded to bits brass rad that was in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. madmike1157

madmike1157 the humor is still lost on me SN Certified Technician

Albums:
    Yea you on the cooling system upgrade, too bad you have to expose such an ugly wart to do it.

3. mikestang63

mikestang63 Mustang Master

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I feel your pain. My first Mustang in 1979 was a 67 fastback that thanks to the northeast winters and salting of roads, I ended up replacing the entire front clip, rear quarters, trunk., floor boards, and doors. That was before everyone started making repop panels so I bought a donor car, cut it all out and, and welded it all in. The good thing was the donor car had a blown 428, good C6 and 9" rear with 4.11's which also made it's way into the 67. I had the same motor as you 289 4 barrel .....

You should be able to buy a patch panel and repair that fairly easy. I can't see it in the picture but what do your shock towers look like? That's the trouble spot on these cars.

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Relatively easy repair, as stated above. I didn't know the battery tray was in the way for a aluminum radiator swap; I never put mine back in the 67, as I'm doing a battery relocate anyway. I did order the full SVE aluminum radiator kit for the Fox body, got a great deal for radiator, hoses, catch can... Only thing that won't work on my 67 (5.0 from a 91 LX swapped in) is the heater hoses. Amazing how much stuff is almost direct fit from the Fox body onto the first gen cars.

5. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    The shock towers and frame look to be in good shape fortunately. Unfortunately I can't afford the space to pull the front of the car apart to fix it right now. I'll have to cobble it back together in the mean time to I can move it around under it's own power. Hopefully I'll get a garage built next year so I will have the space to rip this one apart.

6. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Yeah one of the previous owners apparently liked to run straight water in the cooling system so the rad is ruined. I have that aluminum one as a spare from when I was running a big block in my Mopar and it seems to just fit. I also have a fairly new Fox body rad I can try to run if necessary.

7. mikestang63

mikestang63 Mustang Master

Showcase:
    Albums:
    From what I remember, the front suspension on those early mustangs were terrible as well. Trying to keep them aligned was always an issue, and the upper control arm bushings squeaked like a ****.

8. madspeed

madspeed Colonel Mustard Mod Dude Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    my first was a 69, and it was always in the shop trying to realign the front end. Had those stupid eccentric bolts that held the a arms, they could never be tight enough. Add the weakend frame rails and shock towers due to typical rust and you can see the disaster!