Mustang Suspension Help

Joe Scrivens

Aug 27, 2014
ok so i'm "past the performance "aspect and now i'm trying to keep the tires on the road.

my suspension is completely shot.

its the Original shocks and springs from factory.

i just ordered these for the rear:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-ma810/overview/year/1988/make/ford/model/mustang

was this a bad idea?

also does the rear end have whats known as QUAD SHOCKS that i neew to upgrade too?

after shock ill be getting up and lower control arms and welding in my torque boxes.

now what goes in the front?

shocks or struts? i'm confused between the two names or are they the same thing?

can I get away with using cheaper shocks/struts for the fronts?

usually 90/10 is what is recommended for suspension so if I get cheapo PEPBOYS shocks for the front wouldn't that work ok?

im sure anything i put will be better than what is there now!

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

what is your goal- oem replacement, street upgrade, street/strip/strip?
Are you talking about replacing shocks, springs, control arms?

The first thing to do is add full length subframes if you don't have them- maxumum motorsports are what I recommend

Reactions: 1 users
what is your goal- oem replacement, street upgrade, street/strip/strip?
Are you talking about replacing shocks, springs, control arms?

The first thing to do is add full length subframes if you don't have them- maxumum motorsports are what I recommend
hey I am just trying to get a hold of my cars stability.

the shocks and springs are OEM and they are BOUNCY

i want street strip but more strip than street.

i dont mind a fairly hard ride as long as it helps grip!

yes subframe and rollcage were coming soon too

I just upgraded my suspension. ..front I went with upr kmember and coil overs with strange 10way adjustables with 150lb springs.....rear I actually took off my eibach draglaunch springs with airbags and put a set of used stock springs in an cut off one coil and went with Viking double adjustable shocks. So for dragracing my 60fts went fron high 1.5s to mid 1.4s and if I wana run it to a car show or just take it out for a sunday drive I just set the front an rear suspension accordingly.

I'd rethink your entire list. Using cheap suspension parts will only leave you doing the work twice.
Struts go in the front.
Yes there is quad shocks.
90/10's are drag struts, it's still going to be bouncy.
More strip than street is always going to give you poor handling and a bouncy ride.

You can get qa1 or strange adjustable shocks and struts at a decent price.

Yes, i'd return those shocks you ordered.

I'd rethink your entire list. Using cheap suspension parts will only leave you doing the work twice.
Struts go in the front.
Yes there is quad shocks.
90/10's are drag struts, it's still going to be bouncy.
More strip than street is always going to give you poor handling and a bouncy ride.

You can get qa1 or strange adjustable shocks and struts at a decent price.

Yes, i'd return those shocks you ordered.

I sent them back. I am going to find what will work better.

I think strange is the way to go!

Reactions: 1 user
Strange 10 way struts and adj rears,keep the rear springs and remove a coil, and some good rear controll arms. Most importantly are the subframe connectors. Don't use 90/10 struts on a car that sees mostly street time. Under hard braking they nose dive like an sob and are "bouncy". A roll cage is unnecessary unless you are running sub 12 sec et's. And plan on climbing over the door bar and have aftermarket seats with a harness. I suggest you look up maximum Motorsports,UPR,TeamZ Motorsports websites.