mustang tuning front chin spoiler?

roached1

May 12, 2003
Scotia NY
Well this isn't a tech question, but I'll ask any way. I recently recieved my mach 1 style chin spoiler I ordered for my 95 GT. However, when I went to install it the other day, it doesn't look right. The one in thier picture looks like it follows the shape of the bumper all the way around. The one I recieved doesn't look right for the 95. Tonight I held it up to my 2000 and its a perfect match. before i call complaining(well I did that last night and no one returned my call today) I wanted to see if any one here has bought and installed one from them. Like I said, it just doesn't look like the one they have in their pictures. Any advice or pictures of one installed on a 94-98 would be appretiated.
Jay

• Sponsors (?)

I got the same one and installed it last week. The way you see it is how it is. Its not a perfect fit but I still like mine. :) And if you look at their pic, you can see that theirs doesnt match completely either.

47602Mustang5-med.JPG

47602Mustang4-med.JPG

47602Mustang3-med.JPG

47602Mustang2-med.JPG

47602Chin2.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I'll have to go check it out again when I'm in a better mood. Maybee I was just jumping the gun a little thinking it was wrong. By the way, did yours arive folded up in a small box?

Yeah, mine arrived folded up in like an 18" x 18" box. I didnt like that too much but once you install it, you cant see any folds or anything.

Its not too hard to install. I did mine by myself in under an hour. I ended up just stariing at it for about 20 minutes trying to come up with a strategy to get it on there, make it fit symetrically and not have to drill any unnecessary holes. I held it up in the middle with the front jacked up and then marked the very middle hole with whiteout. I moved the spoiler out of the way and drilled the hole out. I've heard its best to start with the sides but I cant see how you can get symmetry like that.

After drilling that first hole I connected the spoiler to it with the plastic rivet and then continued one hole at a time on each side till it was done. Just make sure that you start with the middle hole and then drill/rivet each following hole one at a time till you are done. Also make sure that you get the spoiler lined up or at least consistent with the edge of the bumper.

Its not too bad once you figure out what you need to do. It will take some getting used to when parking cuz I've tended to hit it on parking concretes and curbs. Thank god its urethane and not fiberglass!!! Also, I didnt notice any difference with fitting a jack underneath afterwards....relieving.

Good luck!!

Chris

BTW....mine did not come with enuf of the plastic rivets. By accident or on purpose, I dont know. Luckily I had some extra left over from a radiator cover so I just used them. :)

thanks again Chris. Mine did come with enough clips. 3 on the spoiler and 10 in a seprate bag. As far as it coming back to shape, I simple left it on the roof of my car(black) for a couple of hours and it came right back. as far as fitting a jack, I can't get one under the car now, unless I drive up on some blocks, :D so It can only be worse with it on!
Yeah, I can see parking blocks being a problem :D

One other thing, make sure that you use a drill bit that will fit snugly in through the holes of the spoiler itself. Anything bigger and those clips may not hold very well. They will be tight and the screws will seem impossible to screw in, you will just have to almost force them into the clips. Just thought that may help you so that you dont drill holes that are too big for the clips to secure.

Its about as functional as the rear spoiler....it pretty much doesn nothing at normal driving speeds. Its mostly just for looks. On the track, it would most likely provide a little downforce to keep your front wheels on the ground. Race cars are ideally more close to 50% weight front and rear. So they need as much front downforce as rear downforce. Our cars have much more of our weight up front so we dont really need anymore downforce up front anyways, even if we could get up to a speed where it would benefit us.

I'm wonder if the chin spoiler blocks the air that is supposed to be deflected to the radiator by the other two 'flaps'? Have you noticed any change to your temps? I lowered my old stang and removed those 'flaps' and couldn't keep it cool anymore.

My car has been sitting for a while. I only drove it for one day with it on and only had it for like two weeks before that. So I really dont have anything to base it on. However, This car has three of the air deflectors and my '95 only had two. My '95 always ran too darn cool and this one runs too hot. So it may make a difference but I dont think that it makes a huge difference. I wouldnt make that a factor in whether or not i'd get a chin spoiler. :)

I'm wonder if the chin spoiler blocks the air that is supposed to be deflected to the radiator by the other two 'flaps'?
I removed all the lower deflectors off mine before taking it out for spring. I've put close to 2000 miles on it in the past month or so, and its been runing at normal temp. I think most of your air for cooling comes through the grills instead of from underneth the bumper. But not sure.