Mustang v6 vs Integra GSR

Blake Z

May 1, 2002
Choctaw, OK
I'll try not to start a rant, but I'm in need of advice.

I currently own a (dark green satin...beautiful color) 99 Mustang v6 auto. It has 65k on it. A few months ago I wrecked it and bent the frame...which has been fixed but still worries me that potential problems could occur. I've really liked my car and have had all sorts of mods I would love to do, but never had the financing to do so. It's current form remains...stock. :nonono: I owe $5000 on the car, and it's current kelly blue book value is $6,300.

The dilemma.

I recently found a (newly repainted pearl white) 99 Acura Integra GSR 5speed. It has 138,000 miles on it. The GSR comes with features my car lacks such as leather, a sunroof and of course the 5spd (I wish my stang was a standard
:( ). The car was left at a friends shop, and became title 42'd..which becomes the shops property, and they are willing to part with it for $5000. The kelly blue book value for this car is $7,300.

Where I stand.

I've had a blast with my mustang, lots of good times. But I'm concerned about the resale value, and how fast its declining. I've never had any money to mod my car, and if I could sell it and profit...I may have a little money to mod the Integra or get closer to payin it off. I am still reluctant to be a Honda driver...even though it is one of the nicer ones.

Sorry for this being so long, I'm just lost on what to do. :shrug:

Thanks for your input. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

1. I don't think you will get anywhere near blue book for a car that has had a bent frame.

2. I don't think you would be in any better shape in the possibility of having mechanical problems if you buy an Integra with 140k that was left at the mechanic so long that the owner forfeited the title.

5-SpeedStallion said:
1. I don't think you will get anywhere near blue book for a car that has had a bent frame.

2. I don't think you would be in any better shape in the possibility of having mechanical problems if you buy an Integra with 140k that was left at the mechanic so long that the owner forfeited the title.

:stupid: 100% I mean, think about it. Here's a car that blue book says is worth a bit over $7k and someone just leaves it at a shop. I guarantee you you do not want that car. 140k miles is a lot of miles, I don't care if it's on a Honda or a Ferrari. At that many miles, the things that haven't already broken are going to start breaking. I say, if you want more power, do as everyone else suggested and get a 5.0. It's got great power potential, and if something breaks, it will only cost you a fraction of what parts for that GSR would cost you. :nice:

I work at a honda dealership and trust me honda parts are not cheap and aftermarket replacement parts dont last on imports. Sure the GSR is fun to drive hell it revs to something like 8k RPMS but Im positive you would be much happier with a 5.0

:flag: :flag:

You have another option. You can try and buy the GSR for 4,200 and then turn around and sell it. Those things sell pretty quickly.

I know I'm giving this away, but if anyone knows someone that has a 1986 corolla gts (piece of crap) you can buy it for less than 800.00 from an unsuspecting person and turn aroung and sell it to a "drifter" for 2,500 easy.

The GSR is just one of those sought after cars.

1990BLUEGT said:
You have another option. You can try and buy the GSR for 4,200 and then turn around and sell it. Those things sell pretty quickly.

I know I'm giving this away, but if anyone knows someone that has a 1986 corolla gts (piece of crap) you can buy it for less than 800.00 from an unsuspecting person and turn aroung and sell it to a "drifter" for 2,500 easy.

The GSR is just one of those sought after cars.
I wouldn't pay anything more than an AE86 is worth. I have an AE96 (88 Corolla GT-S) and only paid 1800 bucks for it in great condition. But yes, buy the GS-R and part it out. You can sell me the engine for 1000 bucks.

Integraholic said:
I wouldn't pay anything more than an AE86 is worth. I have an AE96 (88 Corolla GT-S) and only paid 1800 bucks for it in great condition. But yes, buy the GS-R and part it out. You can sell me the engine for 1000 bucks.

The reason the AE86 is so sought after is because it was made popular in Japan in drifting events. The main reason for this was that it was a cheap, small, light, and RWD. You could crash them and not feel sorry about it. However, young american "drifters" (usually the ones that saw initial D) thought it was the best car for drifting because of its popularity. These cars are being bought very quickly by these drivers and most are getting crashed in nearby mountain roads.
There aren't that many out there for sale. Don't believe me: just check to see if you can find one in autotrader or the recycler for less than 2,000.00.
Try it. If you find one for less than 1,000 and you don;t want to buy it, please PM me ASAP.
Isn't the AE96 FWD?

You could buy my TSi AWD auto Talon. Its a 97 with fewer miles (100k) and more hp. It has new tire and brakes. Its black with all available options. If I got $4500 I'd live. The body is kinda rought but the interior and engine a great. NADA values it at $7000. You could do a tranny sway to a 5 speed awd trans. I've seen them go on ebay for $350- $500. Still under the $5000 for your GS-R. Something to think about.

Yeah, but it wont fall apart like a crappy DSM will. Diamond Star Motors suck my nuts.

Yes, my AE96 is FWD.

And yes, I know all about the AE86s. I'd like one, but I wont pay an inflated price for one. I'll stick to my Nissan.

Thanks for the input.

I haven't been able to see the Integra yet, and check on its quality/reliability. The car is about an hour and a half away, and they are still waiting for the state to send the title. I agree it is odd that the car was just left at the shop after getting some comestic work fixed. But someone's loss is anothers gain.

In regards to the 5.0, I love foxbody's and they are definetly fast...just not my style. My masterplan, is to either sell my current Stang or the Teg immediately and use the profit to get whatever car I keep closer to being paid off. My ultimate goal is to get a 350z or 05 GT by next year. So I'm trying to consider which car will be worth more in about a year/+20k miles. Playing around with KBB.com (probably not accurate). My car (currently 65k) with 20k more miles reduces the price $1000. The Integra at 138k, plus the 20k (estimated years driving) only reduced $300 dollars.

Like someone else said. The Integra definetly has more draw to a certain crowd. If I left it near stock/minor mods...it would be bought a lot quicker even with the high mileage. Our v6 Mustangs are simply a dime a dozen, and resale value is falling by the day. Too me, I just saw a very good deal in that Teg for only $5000. Regardless of which car I choose to keep, I'm really just trying to make a quick buck. :shrug: