Mustang vandalized - body shop or dealership?

Dreadnaught

Aug 5, 2006
Someone decided to put a 12'' scratch with either a screw driver or LARGE key in the back rear panel above my rear right tire. It is down through the paint, with metal shavings; it is NOT dented, however.

I pay a $100 deductible and Allstate covers repairs up to the cost of the car. Allstate recommended two body shops that they certify. I can also take it to the Ford dealership to have it repaired; my car is still under the original warranty.

Which do I go to?

You opinions are greatly appreciated!

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

Warranty has nothing to do with it. Take it to the shop that you feel best with. Just because it is a dealer, it does not mean they are good. Look over the work that all the choices have done and make a decision and follow thru.

I don't even think I want them to try to sand it down and make it even. There are two concave bumps on each end of the scratch; very sutble, however.

I want them to replace the entire pannel. New paint. New clear coat. OEM parts.
Allstate is already trying to give me a run around about refrubished. Ugh.

Come on, it is un-reasonable requests such as a new quarter due to a scratch that drives up the ins. rates. Take what the ins. will pay, and you pay the difference to get what you want. If I had to replace a panel after a minor scratch......oh well.

Come on, it is un-reasonable requests such as a new quarter due to a scratch that drives up the ins. rates. Take what the ins. will pay, and you pay the difference to get what you want. If I had to replace a panel after a minor scratch......oh well.

Pretty reasonable to me, id want a whole new car if mine got keyed. i dont think its the people getting their property vandalized that are driving up insurance rates, its the stupid people that dont about your s**t and know they wont get caught. I say the first offense for vandalism, you lose an arm maybe that'll make some people think twice.

Guy...seriously....I am just as passionate about any and ALL of my vehicles....BUT

Insurance is meant to indemnify you...not make you better. So your car got keyed...Insurance is only there to make the car the SAME before it was keyed...meaning fix the scratch. It is entirely unrealistic to ask them to replace the quarter panel.

Just my .02.

And NO, I do not work for an insurace company...they are the biggest bunch of snakes around...

You bet I want an entire new right rear panel. I pay a ton for insurance, supposedly good insurance from Allstate.

If I pay good money for my insurance, they better fix it the way I want. If they have to sand-smooth, sand-grind something down so the scratch is even, one side of the car will be different than the other.

No dice. Would you want an uneven side on your pony, when you pay good money every month for full, comprehensive auto insurance?

Get real. The insurance company is NOT going to CUT the rear quarter panel off of your car to fix a scratch. Seriously, this is the most absurd thing that I've heard in a while from this forum. This sounds more like MustangForums.com kind of stuff. As far as a "uneven" side, what in the world are you talking about? The insurance company is going to pay for the car to be FIXED from a body shop. This means that it will be like new. It really sounds like you have NO idea what you are talking about. :shrug::shrug:

Fairly rude reply there buddy.

I don't know a lot about cars, no. But all I know is it better be EXACTLY the same as it was before, as in same curve, same smoothness, same shape as the other side and prior to the incident, or yeah...they will take the panel off and replace it.

As I stated in my first post, this isn't some scratch you can remove with ScratchX or some other product. It is a very deep, elongated scatched; complete with metal shards and two concave indentations on each end of the scratch due to the force of the objected used in the "carving" of my right rear panel.

This isn't the first time I butted heads with the insurance company, it won't be the last. I'll get what I want.

My initial question was strictly on where does the more constructive, intelligent individuals on this board reccommend me taking my car to.

Fairly rude reply there buddy.

I don't know a lot about cars, no. But all I know is it better be EXACTLY the same as it was before, as in same curve, same smoothness, same shape as the other side and prior to the incident, or yeah...they will take the panel off and replace it.

As I stated in my first post, this isn't some scratch you can remove with ScratchX or some other product. It is a very deep, elongated scatched; complete with metal shards and two concave indentations on each end of the scratch due to the force of the objected used in the "carving" of my right rear panel.

This isn't the first time I butted heads with the insurance company, it won't be the last. I'll get what I want.

My initial question was strictly on where does the more constructive, intelligent individuals on this board reccommend me taking my car to.

First of all, hes right. Secondly, it doesn't mean its going to be uneven. If they have to do anything, they will sand it down smooth then ADD body filler to make it even anyway. Thirdly, your insurance will not pay to have a entire panel replaced unless the entire panel is screwed up. If there is enough of said panel left to fix, they will fix it before they replace it. Lastly, demand what your want or not, your insurance company is likely to be more rude than NastyStang113 when you try to tell them you want the WHOLE panel replace because of a scratch. Either that or they are going to laugh at you then ask you if you wanted it fixed or not. If you do, your going to do it there way or pay out of your pocket to have a entire panel replaced for a scratch.

Constructive, intelligent individuals would not demand an entire body panel be replaced for a SCRATCH. Constructive, intelligent individuals would take thier car to the best shop to be chosen from (The list you were given from your Insurance company) and let said shop do there job without making it harder on them. :nice:

The repair will most likely fill/sand/paint. It will look perfect if the right shop does the job. If you do not like what you see when you pick up your Stang. TELL THEM. Do not accept it if you are not satisfied. Also, instruct the shop that Nobody has permission to drive the car. (Unless the paint & body shops are not under the same roof) And no reason for any test driving. Good luck.

The repair will most likely be fill/sand/paint. It will look perfect if the right shop does the job. If you do not like what you see when you pick up your Stang. TELL THEM. Do not accept it if you are not satisfied. Also, instruct the shop that Nobody has permission to drive the car. (Unless the paint & body shops are not under the same roof) And no reason for any test driving. Good luck.

Good point.

To demand it be perfect is fine but to demand a whole new rear quarter panel because of a scratch is just ridiculous, especially knowing that it can be fixed without that and the amount of work required to remove a rear quarter panel. I've dealt with a lot of body shops and insurance companies and I can promise you that they all will laugh at you and you will have a rough time getting the situation fixed. My suggestion is to go to each body shop, ask for examples of their work that they are currently doing, etc. Make a decision based on their work and any hear-say from friends, neighbors, etc. Since you really don't know too much about cars, and I'm not trying to insult you, let them explain what they are going to do and allow them to do it. If it doesn't look up to your standards, than tell them that it's not acceptable and what you want fixed. This is a much better approach to the situation. Otherwise you will be butting heads until the car is fixed, it won't be fun. Take my advice and see what happens.

If you think the current scratch repair will make a difference from side to side, wait until they tear the entire interior, rear and side apart for the quarter replacement. You may very well have problems that you may never get over. See what has to be disturbed for that quarter replacement before getting to wrapped up in a scratch.

Yes, I want my car to be correct also but not outside of reality.

As for more constructive and intelligent.....I still refer to my original reply made prior to this going into a complete rebuild for a scratch. Maybe you should demand a new car since it will NEVER be 100% as you bought it. lol

Laughs Out Loud. U dreamin for that dude!!!! In the end of a s197 rear quarter panel being replaced you can look forward to sqeeky noises, leaks and even shimmers at high speeds. You just burn your breath into a phone demanding what you want and you better like what you get.
There is a saying out there, Dont piss into the wind. :)

I find something funny about this thread and I will comment on it later. :nice:

OP, our cars aren't space frame. you cant just bolt and unbolt body panels such as quarters on our car. our quarter panels are part of the cars structure.

to replace your quarter panel they are going to have to cut the old one out, sand down to bare metal, weld new one in, seal it, prime it, paint it. clear it.
you have alot better chance of it looking good with them sanding down the area of the scratch, adding some filler, and spraying it.

its unreasonable to want a new quarter panel, for a scratch. that could cause more problems then its worth.

i did body work for 2 years. and we focused on old car restoration. i've welded in quarters in about 3 different cars.