Mustang vs. Camaro

No Dude thats wrong!The last 455 Pontiac made was in 75.After that76,77,78, was a 400,Ford had nothing to compete with that.79,80,the 6.6--401Olds motor,still ford had nothing.Even in81 Pontiac had the 301 turbo,Ford couldnt even beat that.It was untl 85 when the mustang came with the roller cam,that ford startsd to rule!

• Sponsors (?)

If you will notice, I also have had experience with other pickup trucks. The Chevys were more comfortable for me, sounded better to me, looked better inside and out, and were quicker by a large margin. The 99 Silverado was a 4x4 and we used it to the fullest. We beat the hell out of it and it still kept ticking. I can't say that I've had experience with the Ford off road, but on road it did not impress me. The ride quality was poor, the interior was cheap, and the power was not there. As for 5.0's, I love them. I feel that before the 93-up f-bodies, the mustang was a superior sports car. After that I feel that Ford made quite a few mistakes with the mustang. As for the rest of Ford's lineup, I cannot think of any that I would buy over a similar GM product. I am not bashing Ford, because I don't hate the company, just the cars they currently have. For all I know they may make a great car this year that blows me away. But at this point in time I don't like anything they have.

I really like teh Camaro concepts they have been coming out with going retro like the new Mustang which I think looks good also.

If they came out with that proto type Camaro I've been seeing that's all retro, I'd drop teh cash right now for it, looks so sweet!

I gotta chime in on this also. First off, like the original statement of when the Mustangs are getting really fast the Camaro and Trans Am disappear. Put a 2003 Mustang GT against a 2002 Camaro, both stock, the Camaro will win. Also as mentioned above about GM pushing cast iron heads, 1993 Camaros and up all had aluminum heads. I own a Mustang and love it, but I gotta disagree with what is being said. I know I'm gonna hear about this, but honestly, you can't get into a stock LT1 or LS1 Camaro and not tell me its fun to drive or that it rides like crap. I have an '87 GT, a '94 Z28, and an '80 Corvette, the Camaro was hands down the fastest, the most fun to drive, and was the best overall ride quality out of all three. I am not saying that its more fun to drive than a modified Mustang, but stock. I feel the reason that the Camaro, Trans Am, and Firebird went under was due to the price also. They were more than the Mustang, but how much more power did they come with?

I work in a shop, I see and work on so many different cars. I wouldn't buy a Ford unless it has the 5.0 motor in it, or a much older ford. Otherwise it's GM all the way.

About GM being behind. Not at all. Look at the automatic transmissions for one. Ford tries too hard to be "up to date", they sacrifice quality for technology. The 4.6 is the biggest mistake Ford made, not saying it sucks but they could have charged less and made more money if they stuck to the proven 5.0 or even 5.8 platform and fine tuned it like GM did with the LT1 and finished the job with the LS1. FORD chooses to come out with something new, while GM fine tunes what works. Don't fix what's not broken. Why can't Ford produce the powerband in the 4.6 like GM does with the LS1? All that technology for what?

You think GM got a bach of bad crack when they cancel the T/A and come out with the Vibe and Aztec, and look at the avalanche, it only comes half painted, but some way they stay on top as the largest manufacturer and the only one reporting a profit. I guess they have something for everyone, even the weirdo's.

The expression "Chevy, we'll be there" that is so true.

Not sure about GM trucks but my friends F-250 with a V-10 can beat my other friends Turbo Cummings Diesel? Weird huh I thought the Dodge would win.

Absolutely nothing to do with Mustangs or Camaros.....LOL

powerstrokes are amazing motors, with a chip they will take vettes down on the highway, with some key changes full sized crew cab jacked up on 38" mud tires will run mid 11's in the quarter. IF you dont believe me, I have some vids. 30psi of boost over 13.4:1 compression is pretty impressive. Powerstrokes are definately the best designed diesel motor on the market.

willys1 said:
No Dude thats wrong!The last 455 Pontiac made was in 75.After that76,77,78, was a 400,Ford had nothing to compete with that.79,80,the 6.6--401Olds motor,still ford had nothing.Even in81 Pontiac had the 301 turbo,Ford couldnt even beat that.It was untl 85 when the mustang came with the roller cam,that ford startsd to rule!

Ok you totally got me on that one, for some reason the 6.6 slipped my mind, i'll take a bath on that one..lol

In either event, early '80s Vettes aren't much, if it all, faster than the last 5.0s, are they? I think that says a lot, even considering the EPA crunch of the early '80s. Sure the Vette will runs circles around the 'stang, i know.

Yea,I think your rite,early 80's Vettes (c4) were pretty slow in the 1/4 mile.I think a stock 5-speed 5.0 could take it!When the new style Trans am came out,till this day (well until they stopped making them) they use chevy motors.Thats one thing I miss about back in the day,every GM company used there own motors.

Mopar has commercials for that new Hemi comming out the wazoo!My favarite one is still the one where the two rednecks are hanging out at the light and the pickup towing the charger pulls up,Does that thang got a Hemi!!LOL!

90mustangGT said:
I work in a shop, I see and work on so many different cars. I wouldn't buy a Ford unless it has the 5.0 motor in it, or a much older ford. Otherwise it's GM all the way.

About GM being behind. Not at all. Look at the automatic transmissions for one. Ford tries too hard to be "up to date", they sacrifice quality for technology. The 4.6 is the biggest mistake Ford made, not saying it sucks but they could have charged less and made more money if they stuck to the proven 5.0 or even 5.8 platform and fine tuned it like GM did with the LT1 and finished the job with the LS1. FORD chooses to come out with something new, while GM fine tunes what works. Don't fix what's not broken. Why can't Ford produce the powerband in the 4.6 like GM does with the LS1? All that technology for what?

You think GM got a bach of bad crack when they cancel the T/A and come out with the Vibe and Aztec, and look at the avalanche, it only comes half painted, but some way they stay on top as the largest manufacturer and the only one reporting a profit. I guess they have something for everyone, even the weirdo's.

The expression "Chevy, we'll be there" that is so true.

The 4.6 was not the biggest mistake that Ford made. It was a gateway to the future. Sure they could of put more R & D into the Windsors, but I think the biggest probelm was the polution. They couldn't get those motors to burn cleaner. And of corse you could say why didn't they put more R & D, well because it was already being devoted to the new modular. They just made step away from pushrod's and not look, everyone in the car market offers distributorless engines.

Now, "I heard" that Chevy is using Toyota engine's like in their Vibe, which stunningly resembles a Matrix. Correct me if I'm wrong. But the point is, Chevy is having to pay for motors instead of making them, while Ford was with it since 91. I'm not trying to argue that Ford is better than Chevy, I'm just saying moving to the 4.6 was not a mistake.

Well, you guys know why I like the fox body so much? Because I always have! I have one now finally at a single 31 years old a toy becomes "ok" with a morgage and large assortment of other bills. Ok, Ford did not change too much on the stangs during the 87- 93 period. I like that, it led to alot of parts being available + a huge aftermarket. Ford had the "boring" Chevy philosophy during this time period! If they didnt it would be crap. It takes years to discover what works in a real world customer environment. Ford is constantly tinkering! And for what? In the end it costs the customer more for parts! Sure, a Ford will sell cheaper and its value will drop like a rock but then comes the parts expensive. Ford likes to make their money on the back end! To me, thats just not right!! I remember during high school learning about how Henry Ford came up with "Mass Production". He changed the world! But that wasnt enough! He found out that the common man was repairing their own Model T's. That pissed him off! FAWK that, he wanted money on the back end too! So, that philosophy still exists today. Sure, Chevy can be quite boring with the line up of models that have so many parts that are shared but that is "Standardization". That is something Ford is against due to greed!