Mustang will be gone in less than 5 years!

Will Mustangs Be Discontinued Within 5-10 Years?

• Yes, For Sure

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • No Way!

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I Can't Tell

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

DFG 5OH

Aug 28, 2004
Louisville, KY
I had some guys at work tell me today that even though mustangs have outlasted Cameros, Firebirds, and are pretty much the last american muscle car, someguys told me they'd be discontinued like the camero and firebird within five years. I was like WTF no way, Cameros and Firebirds sucked, thats why they were discontinued them, and they were like yea, but they're coming back, and they said that they'll take mustangs off the market, then bring them back, over and over, just like cameros or firebirds.

So the question is, do you think mustangs will be gone within 5-10 years.

• Sponsors (?)

matthiasj said:
I had some guys at work tell me today that even though mustangs have outlasted Cameros, Firebirds, and are pretty much the last american muscle car, someguys told me they'd be discontinued like the camero and firebird within five years. I was like WTF no way, Cameros and Firebirds sucked, thats why they were discontinued them, and they were like yea, but they're coming back, and they said that they'll take mustangs off the market, then bring them back, over and over, just like cameros or firebirds.

So the question is, do you think mustangs will be gone within 5-10 years.
No,,and its not the last american muscle car,,GTO,,300c,,,Magnum,,,the charger is coming back,,and theres more to follow in a few years.Camaro's and Firebirds s@cked?? The GT Mustang is finally getting into the 13's in the 1/4.First time in decades( I said the GT,,not the Mach 1 or cobra) The Z-28's and Trans Ams were in the low 13's bordering high 12's when they bowed out in 2002.

Nah I don't see em pulling them so shortly after the release of the new style.. and the mustang sells to a broader demographic since they offer everything from the cobra to the 6cyl (erg.. no cobra this year but you know..) .. so I should think that would help keep it around more so than the firebirds etc .. chevy also has the vette to keep as a sports car, if ford eliminates the mustang, what do they have? (minus the ford gt :p)

They keep selling so many of them, I can't see why they would ever stop selling them.

GM is a bunch of bean counters. They wanted 35k for a car that should be sold for 25k. Not to say that the car isn't worth it, but they are definately reaching for a smaller demographic when they price it that high. Unless they get the costs down, there will probably never return.

If they do, that will be fine by me. They were such limited production that it doesn't really matter.
Scott

well as far as no 13's on along time a buds 00GT 5spd went 13.9@101 bone stock with the temp tags still in the window within one week from picking it up.

Ford is going to have an issue with not having enough mustangs to go around. Once the computer flash gets out that thing is going to be NNUUTTSS, and even stock there nice.

Ford learned the lesson with the probe (I hope), yes GM ended up with like 20,000+ or so F-bodies that they could not sell, and Ford sold more v6 models than all F-bodies combined (v6, v8, pontiac, chevy).

Sheeeeet, The Mustang is the best seller next to the F150. Why the f would Ford get rid of the stang. You asked a dumb question. I will have a mustang for the rest of my life. Period. I can guarantee that there are Millions that could concur. The camaro/Firechicken line sucked. Sure they have a 350 ci but look at aftermarket parts. what better car can you modify than a stang. nuff said.

Lets not forget that last time Ford asked the question of whether or not to drop the Mustang from its lineup (not that they are now). The Probe was already in the works and a similar Probe model was drawn up to replaced the Mustang all together. I think the outrage from the Mustang crowd alone saved the car from the ax. If the idea starts swirling again I think the Mustang crowd will again succeed in convincing accounting to keep the Mustang. Anyone in business today knows that accounting basically makes all the decisions anymore. Yea "the man" signs the paper but the "the dollar" makes the decision for him.

Just my 2 pesos

Crap! I accidentally hit the wrong button and chose "Yes, For Sure" on the poll. Oh well.

Ford will keep the Mustang around for a long and won't consider killing the program until it begins to lose profits.

I think one needs to consider the other cars being built by Ford when talking about whether or not the Mustang is "the right car" or if it is "the last muscle car." Ford is currently selling the Ford GT and should begin production of the new Shelby Cobra in a year or so. SVT devotes about half of its efforts to the Mustang Cobra. The Shelby GR1 is very likely to be a production car. With that said, all one needs to do is look at what Ford is offering and developing. So far, these concepts have been a complete success. Two door sport cars are a big hit and Ford is right now waging a bet that this trend will continue for at least another decade. Dodge had great success with the Viper, but I believe Ford wants to "up the ante" by offering several cars with 300 - 600+ horsepower in two door fashion. In fact, forget the Dodge factor, Ford is directly aiming at the European market and their higher priced exotics and sport cars.

Why toss the Mustang when it is "easy money?" Need we mention the attention Mustangs get overwhelmingly from the aftermarket? In an era of increasing import sporty cars popularity, I believe the benchmark is still the Mustang (not that the Mustang will always win every comparison, but it is a player that is not ignored). I think we'll see Mustang hit the 50, 60, and possibly the 75th anniversay mark. Technology and political pressures will dictate that success later on. That's my .02 worth. :)

I think the Mustang will be around for a while longer. Ford seems pretty committed to it. But there are some disturbing trends. Ford has pleny of bean counters who would kill it in a second if it didn't make business sense. The Probe replacement debackle surely would have killed the Mustang by now, had it replaced the Mustang. Ford has very shaky commitment to SVT. They failed to bring an independent rear suspension in the new model. And the new car has a very trendy retro look. That's good for immediate sales boost, but look at how the other trendy retro cars sell a few years out (a la Beetle, Mini, PT, etc.). Put that all together and it don't look good.

Thankfully the Mustang sells to a very broad base. That may be what saves the legend.

You can never be too sure about the bean counters, the Taurus was the one of the Top 5 best selling cars in America and they killed it. By the way I am pretty sure that not only does the F150 sell better than the Mustang but so does the Explorer, Ranger, Focus, and Taurus (for now).

Ford doesn't have as many products as the GM world and even if they were thinking about it, they have always been proven wrong in the market....They assumed the probe would replace it and if the probe had outsold the mustang they might have pulled it although its a totally different class in my eyes. GM is looking for a place with a lot of new products, like the magnum and the restyle of the Monte so there was no need to continue muscle!!!Ford has it! and Dodge holds the sports car spot (viper). But again if Ford put out lets say the new ford cobra or ford GT at a comparable price mustang might die off???