Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Armrest leather covers came from redlinegoods.com. Gonna be fun figuring out how to install these

IMG_7351.JPG
IMG_7352.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I used staples. Problem is, like most 30 year old armrests, the plastic around the grip area is broken. So I couldn't staple here.

I did my best, but it could be better. I might need to search around for a donor armrest. The LRS ones use metal inserts, so not sure I can staple into that

More than likely at some point (next winter maybe) I'll redo this

IMG_7354.JPG

IMG_7356.JPG

I've ordered the LRS armrests. My OEM ones are too busted to invest the time and effort into permanently affixing the covers to. The plastic skeleton is just too brittle to staple into, and since it's a little broken, the foam inside has begun to fall apart.

Reviews state the material doesn't exactly match OEM, but in this case it doesn't matter for me. I just need something sturdy which these are since they appear to have a metal skeleton vs the OEM plastic.

They won't be here until next week though. I might stick the armrest in the car for now just to see how it looks and maybe take it for a ride this weekend. Been raining the past 2 days, so the salt may be washed away by now. We'll see.

Have yet to drag out the hoses so I can give the car it's spring time wash.

Ok threw it in. Got a nice heavy rain to wash the salt off, so I'd like to go for a ride this weekend.

Keep in mind, once I decided to go with the new armrests, I stopped stretching and adjusting the cover. So it's loose, and the unevenness is the crappy oem Ford armrest. The support plastic is broken and some of the foam has fallen out. Kinda the Reason why I bought new ones.

For now, take this wuth a grain of salt. The new ones arrive next week

IMG_7367.JPG
IMG_7371.JPG
IMG_7374.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So, after keeping an eye out in eBay for a while, I picked up a set of 05-06 GTO calipers for under $100 shipped. Very goood clean condition.

Got tired of explaining the Vette brakes. So off they come and will hopefully get sold for 2x what I paid

IMG_7392.JPG

IMG_7393.JPG

IMG_7395.JPG

I need to paint them. Ideas? Plain red? Mustang lettering? Bullitt caliper pony?

Well first official drive of the year. Threw the good wheels on and went for gas.

My polish job this winter paid off. These things are shiny in the sun
IMG_7430.JPG

IMG_7431.JPG

View attachment 603094
IMG_7432.JPG

My intermittent hesitation over 3k is still there. Car just falls on its face. When it doesn't do it it runs like a raped ape at high RPM and even starts to kick out sideways. But when it stalls it just hits a wall. Codes come up with nothing. I might try some new o2 sensors here

Can you elaborate on the PBR caliper differences?

BTW, mine were the variant with the raised Cobra text. I ground it down and repainted, now you'd never know the difference. #YOLO

The c5 and c6/GTO are just imporovements on the c4/Cobra style design. Nothing major but the biggest improvement is pad area. The pad contacts and sweeps much more of the rotor face spreading the heat out. Translates to much better thermal stability. Always used to bug me how the cobra calipers only touched the outside of the rotors edge (C5/c6 pad on top..same as Baer pad)
IMG_7472.JPG

Secondary improvements are stiffness, as the cobra calipers are prone to spread. They are pressure cast, vs the gravity cast Cobra style caliper so they are around 30% stronger.

My old Mach 1 calipers needed a refinish, so I decided to do something different. For what I sold the Mach calipers for, and what I'll sell these z06 calipers for, this might be a net gain in terms of what I spent for the setup.

I was actually going to buy the Baer 6p caliper, but after talking to Jack at MM I decided against it. Honestly I'm probably at the limit of what I'd do for brakes. I was just out driving my car and getting on the hard and they just stop very easily without much pedal effort. I love it

Decided to rebuild the new calipers and install new seals for $10 for both sides. I figure inspecting the calipers was worth doing.

As you can see, very nice shape.
IMG_7491.JPG

IMG_7493.JPG

I need to get all this caked on brake dust off prior to paint...which I haven't bought just yet.
IMG_7492.JPG

Slow progress so far. With snow season done, trying to clean up the yard from winters mess and do some landscaping work

Anyway, cleaned up the pistons a bit. Didn't need much work anyway.
IMG_7505.JPG

I'll pick up some paint and start cleaning up the housings this weekend. I also still need to test fit the cut-down GT500 1.25" thick rotor for a buddy who road races.

So much to do and no time

So back to the armrests. Much happier with how these came out. The LRS armrests are a sort of dense foam with metal Skelton that makes it easy to stretch and staple the cover on.

10 mins of stretching and pulling and staples. I can prob get a few more wrinkles out

IMG_7509.JPG

IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7512.JPG
IMG_7516.JPG

Compared to the first armrest I did on the oem cover I was able to get this one much tighter just because of the quality of the armrest itself.
IMG_7514.JPG

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Done.

In hindsight, given that I had to order new LRS armrests to get this done, not worth it. It's a clean subtle mod that barely stands out, which is good in a way, but not worth the $125 I spent.

Anyway. All done. Moving on to next. I think I'm gonna pass on the leather dash cover and call it a day with these

On the plus side, inside of car smells fabulous.

IMG_7536.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7543.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
I kinda pictured it bigger in my mind
IMG_7560.JPG

Exploring some ideas. I'm not sold on the mustang lettering. I'll prob run the pony like 01 bullitt calipers, but I think I need a bigger pony.

Going for this look
IMG_7561.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.