Mustang5L5's progress thread

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by Mustang5L5, Aug 2, 2008.

1. what if you get a trim kit thats moves the heat controls to the bottom and radio to the top?

2. Don't think it would ffer any better mounting solution for two single don radios.

Plus, it would require modification to the center console I don't really want to do

3. Attached Files:

4. I think what makes the stock radio look so good with the black Fox interior is the fact that it seems to blend in and is almost unnoticable. It is like an afterthought that, "hey there is a radio there" type of thing. It definetly does not overpower the feel of the black console. Compared to the in your face look of the current aftermarket systems, this thing looks completely outdated, yet absolutly like the right fit for the Foxbody appeal.

5. 5L5, any updates?

6. Well, since the radio, only mod I've done is been to add bullit pedals.

I made a vid a few weeks back, but I haven't done much or driven the car lately.

Hopefully this fall/winter I can get some more stuff done. I still have plenty I want to do.

YouTube - ‪1988 Mustang LX 5.0‬‏

7. Just to update.

Made a trade with a board member this week. Straight trade for my steeda Tri-ax for his MGW shifter.

Needless to say I am happy. I should have bought this shifter to begin with, but the steeda was a gift and I didn't get to choose.

I just love MGW shifters....this is my 2nd :)

jrichker likes this.
  8. Congrats! I have one too but it has the silver racing handle. Haven't installed it yet...I figure if I'm going to start to take my console apart I might as well do the dash and get to my heater core and cluster that I've been putting off for way too long :)

9. you dont have to take the console apart at all. just remove the shifter boot and trim :nice:

10. removing the console does make putting the inner shift boot back easier. But if you have swivels and other angle tools, it can be done. I swapped shifters by just pulling the boot up

11. Been a while......

:)

And it's got friends..... :)

View attachment 178979

Now the only thing stopping me from reinstalling my A/C is swapping out the old Evap core which is filthy inside. I have a brand new Ford unit....actually...everything i'm reinstalling is brand new Ford! I scored a new Deep Vacuum pump, and have been studying up on A/C to really do this right!

I figure with what i spent on OEM Ford components....i might as well splurge for the good stuff. besides, have you seen what R-134a sells for these days? $15-20 a can! R-12 is not that much more expensive on Ebay.

12. A/C is a must. If you need a set of refrigeration gauges let me know, Mike.

13. Decided to just add pics to my thread rather than cloud up other threads. So, after a few years of life on hold, I'm back to toying with the mustang. New house, and finally a garage.

Not much has changed in 5 years. Car is a little dusty, and could use some good cleaning. Only damage from a few years of storage was a heavy item falling and breaking the Saleen spoiler.

So I removed it. Also damaged was the molding on the drivers side rear, so that was removed too. Found a replacement and having it painted along with LX wing.
    View attachment 559356

Secured a nice LX wing, and currently getting it painted up. First shots ever with LX wing in a decade or so
    View attachment 559357
    View attachment 559358

Testing out the new rims
    View attachment 559359

Feels good to have her back. First major project will prob be putting the new ac system back in...along with R-12

View attachment 559360

PS. New daily driver too
    View attachment 559365

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

#1114 Mustang5L5, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  14. Woot! Welcome back to the game.

15. Always loved those wheels.

Noobz347 likes this.
  16. Always liked your car, simple and clean. Glad to see you active again.

PS, congrats on the house and having a garage now. Most of us take that for granted!

#1117 95BlueStallion, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Mustang5L5 likes this.
  17. Well, never too late to get back into it. Mostly I'm gonna spend the next few weeks cleaning up the car from its short stint of sitting the last 3 years or so. Lots of dust and grime need to be cleaned.

Some of the plastic interior parts seem to have become brittle. My dome light shattered when trying to install an LED bulb.

Added LEDs to the under dash factory courtesy lights (I know, I know)
    f9d38fcedcf2394393db880824ac30e3.jpg

Going to work on getting the LX wing mounted up as well. Need to get it painted first.

I noticed the engine had a rough idle, so I decided to run codes and do a cylinder balance test. Got all 11s but did get something on cylinder #1 indicating a misfire there. The last time I failed a CBT, I had a dead injector.

So, time to start troubleshooting that.

Oh, got my under hood light working. Last time this worked was 1999ish. :)
    4c05aa7cd2644a385863d4f9b0894b9b.jpg

And yes, there are actual mods I'm planning on getting to soon. Question is what do I do first?
    A/c reinstall with r-12 (all black car no fun to drive in summer heat)
    2003 cobra steering rack
    Mass air conversion (finally)
    TFS stage 1 cam, crane cobra rr's, GT-40Ps

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

#1118 Mustang5L5, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    skyline247 and Davedacarpainter like this.
  18. AC install Mike, no doubt.

For the injector an easy way to test it on the car is with a 9 volt battery and connector with leads. Put the leads to the injector terminal and listen if you hear it click.

A5literMan likes this.
  19. Well I think it makes more sense to do the heads and cam before installing the A/C, but I understand the need for the A/C for summer comfort.

That being said, you will want the mass airflow after installing the heads and cam, so I guess that should come first. Soooo, A/C next summer???

#1120 95BlueStallion, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Davedacarpainter likes this.