Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolted the seat mount on a seat. Everything lined up nicely. Tried to fit the seat skirt on, but since it's an oem part in a non-oem application I will need to trim slightly.

In the meantime.

IMG_1124.JPG

So, to be frank I am a bit disappointed at the height. Thought it would be lower. Looks like these sit only about 1" lower than th sn95 seat on manual tracks. Not quite the 2-3" I was hoping for. Of course, depending on where the adjustment falls, I could always remove the Recaro seat slider as that would lower the seat 1"

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

Oh one more thing that surprised me. Both seats with seat track installed weigh exactly 43.8 pound. What are the odds. Again, was hoping to shave a bit more off.

But, lets me just say this. When you sit in the sn95 seat...you sit ON the seat. When you sit in the Recaro, you sit IN the seat. The difference is quite substantial. So when I say I'm disappointed....I'm really not.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I stand corrected. They are much lower. At least 2". I feel like I sit down into the car now. The difference was drastic enough that I had to readjust my shifter and the tilt wheel is now one notch lower. Radio is now more visible and not a reach. I like

IMG_1140.JPG

But even with the original gray center material they don't look bad at all. I wish I spent s little more effort washing them now, and ignore the two cig burns. I'm still going to redo the middle, but this isn't half bad actually.

IMG_1133.JPG

I like them. Not quite done yet as I gotta install the side trim skirt panel, but the fit is quite excellent.

Going to order up the passenger bracket soon, and work on the back seat.

As for these fronts. Prob bag them up and store them. I might get myself an SN95 convert in the future, and these seats would go well in it.

IMG_1146.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Oh, started working on the Corbeau rear seat. Only halfway done with hog ringing the seat bottom, but I have my qualms about this kit. I'll save my review for when I'm done and its installed.

I wanted to get away from the SN95 seat as the bottom doesn't securely attach and it raised an eyebrows during state inspection with the empty seat belt holes and the fact it just lays there unsecured. I'd like to get my rear seat functional for kiddo use, so going back to the fox seat.

At least it's pure black vs the charcoal SN seat .
IMG_1148.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Ok. It sucks. Got it pulled tight but the creases are from how it was folded and packaged. Hopefully they work out, but it looks loose even though it isn't. I may not be a pro, but I'd like to think if I can make those Recaros look decent I should be able to pull this off

The TMI kit was way better. I should have bought a rear seat from them even if they charge an arm and leg for rear only. I test fit the rear TMI seat bottom cover and not hog ringed at all the fit was much better than this.

This is done and in the car. I probably should have gone cloth it microsuede instead.
IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG

Needs to sit out in the sun on a hot July day to tighten it up. Won't be any time soon

But again....temporary.

Opposite was true if the seat backs. These things were tight! I only got one done tonight as my fingers need a rest. Total PITA. Some of the holes were off so I ended up drilling my own. The vinyl would only stretch so much.

Installing the new rear carpet was even more of a pita. No holes were predrilled. So drilling the holes and the trying to stretch and line everything up? Wow

Definitely tighter than the bottom. I like the color too
IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

Anyway. One side down. One to go.

Oh, the creases on the bottom cushion are also starting to relax somewhat. If it would stop raining, I would toss it on my deck in the sun for a few hours and see if it softens up a bit

Last edited:
Been debating this. Do I change over my leather boots to include red stitching, or just leave as is?

If I changed, I'd need to change shifter and e brake boot, door armrests, center console lid cover, and dash pad.

Momo steering wheel could use some red stitch too perhaps?

Or just leave it all alone?
IMG_1169.JPG

Rear seat done. A little under 4 hrs to do it. Waiting on some hatch seat hardware and then I'll toss in the car.

Overall not bad. The wrinkles are coming out and it fits decent. Material is not bad either. Nice and thick

If you need a simple rear seat...it's works. Still needs a day to sit out in hot sun.

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

Trimmed and mounted the lower skirt panel on. The switch doesn't fit because the seat bracket is so close so I need to find some way to finish it off. Either way, hides the sandwiched brackets quite well.

The angke of reflection makes it look lighter in the pics. I painted it same trim black shade as the recline hinge cover on the pic

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users
So nothing exciting here tonight. Did an oil change as I usually do for winter storage, and swapped on my storage roller wheels.

IMG_1210.JPG

Also decided to test fit a '98 Cobra wheel. I dunno. I kinda like it. Looks "tougher"
IMG_1214.JPG

Now I can see why big aftermarket calipers clear these so well. Miles of room
IMG_1212.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Man, the sun really does wonders on getting wrinkles out of vinyl

Threw the seat backs outside this AM and pretty much all the wrinkles are gone. Just pulled the seat bottom so well see how this does.

Being black probably helps. Every 30-45 min I go out and rotate to try and get an even "tan"

I like this kit a lot now. Just a lot of labor

IMG_1232.JPG

Wrapped up the day by pulling my other SN95 seat, washing it down, and then wiping it with conditioner. Both seats are bagged and will spend some time in a corner of my basement until I decide what to do with them. Like I said before, I might pick up an SN95 convertible ar some point and might need mint seats.

IMG_1248.JPG

I then turned my attention to the interior. Vacuumed it out and gave everything a good wipe down. I love a clean black interior...sometimes. Then it gets dusty and looks like hell. You gray interior guys....you got it nice and don't even know it.

Pass seat bracket is in the mail. Should have the other seat installed next weekend. I hope it clears that amp.
IMG_1247.JPG

Seat backs aren't in yet because I bought a second set of seat hinges off eBay. My converted sn95/fox seats have the hinge under the upholstery. The fox seats have the flap. Since I didn't want to disassemble my other seats, I bought a spare set. No clue what I'll do with my fox converted SN95 seat just yet.

But, as you can see. The sun worked its magic. Seat bottom needs some more time. Sun went away before I could get every angle on it. Still...way better
IMG_1249.JPG

it looks like the center fabric has burn holes, and is stained...is that an optical thing?

No, you have it right. Two cig burns and some misc ass stains. Those are the center fabrics from the original seat covers. The recover kit I got didn't include new centers. Currently getting quotes on making a set in dark gray Alcantara with White Recaro lettering. I messaged @95steedamustang a few times but guess he hasn't been on SN in a while. I don't have other contact info for him. I've gotten quotes from other shops but want to run it by him as well before deciding

Original fabrics
IMG_0695.JPG

Partially recovered but same centers as above
IMG_0759.JPG

Last edited:
Brackets showed up.
IMG_1262.JPG

And back seat fully installed. Still gotta do something about the seatbelts I have my original red ones on the side and those gray ones in the middle. The bolts on the red ones are stuck fast. No amount of heat or impact gun will take them out. I've probably destroyed three or four t-45 bits trying.

I had a MINT set of 79-84 black belts. Seeing as I couldn't install them duevto the seized bolts, I tossed them on eBay for $200. (Thinking they would never sell) Someone offered $175 and I took it. Now I need black belts :(

Maybe I'll just install my original red center belt latches and say I intended it like that. JDM YO.
IMG_1263.JPG

Anyway. I ordered some stuff from maximum motorsports taking advantage of their weekend deals. Let's do some real mods now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Decided to strip this out of my $100 set of sn95 junk seats. Been parting those out so I figure I keep this for myself. Should I do it? Why not. It's free and a nice custom touch

IMG_1324.JPG

Will it actually work with the design of the seat inserts?

Actually it's quite scary how well it will work.

On the SN95 (and maybe fox) bladder, there are two listing rods on each side that slip over a clip and hold it in place.

On the Recaros same thing. The center insert secures at top and bottom and the side bolster cover wraps around and uses s rod to secure it to the same type of clip.

Best pic I could find.
IMG_1346.JPG

You can see the black tabs running vertically securing the red bolster cover to the frame. Then the center insert attaches at bottom and peels up and secures at top. It's actually anazing how well this could work.

And look...I even have a place for the switch (although it's round peg in square hole)
IMG_1343.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Last seat post for a while.

Got the passenger side bracket. Was worried it wouldn't clear the factory amp, but it does. What it doesn't clear is the amp wiring under the carpet. The bulge of the harness hits the bracket, so out cane the grinder

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

And installed the other side. Of course, they will need to come out again, but for now they can hang out in the car past the holidays as I likely won't do much with them til after.

IMG_1476.JPG

Anyway, I'm all seated out. I broke out the credit card and ordered all the MM parts I needed for my suspension overhaul. When they come in..time to start. Not gonna lie, I liked working on these seats in my nice warm basement. Now I gotta work under a car :(

Reactions: 4 users
Also, finally got my hands on some junk gray shock trim covers, cut them as needed, SEM paint and install. Just need to pick up a loop for the right side to act as a tether

IMG_1473.JPG

Oh, I also have these to tackle. I figure I start with the dash pad and do the inserts later when I confirm my material matches the seats. I like nice clean inside work
IMG_1480.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.