Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

• Sponsors (?)

So I ended up going to Oreilly's and picked up a bushing kit. It seems as though no one makes the appropriate size for the brake pedal.

So I'm going to file two of them down to fit. So I'm going to have custom bushings! Sounds pretty killer, huh?

Maybe I can put that on a show poster for judging?:D:doh:

I'll assemble it tomorrow and post pictures.

You could always grab one from that yard you've posted.....

You could always grab one from that yard you've posted.....
Yeah, but I figured I would feel better with a new one. I probably wouldn't make any real difference, but after the powder coater made those parts look so darn pretty I would have always know I did that.

So maybe I'm just a little anal....

Ok, so I did a little something finally.

I re-seam sealed the jambs of the hatch. Here it is masked to seal it.
image.jpeg

I used a heavy body seam sealer on this since it would have been a thorough pita to use flow able seam sealer. I was in a rush to paint the last car of the day yesterday, so I didn't take a picture of it finished, just imagine a black line around the seams, ok?

I finally got enough paint to finish all the components. So there will be some work on Doby in the next couple weeks. I obviously have to paint the hatch. In addition I have the bumpers, mouldings and I still haven't done the trim yet.

I need to go dig up the hatch hinges and paint them as well since I want to go ahead and hang the hatch when it's painted.

Speaking of the hatch, I'll jamb it first, then shoot the outside. There isn't a convenient way to do the jambs and outside at the same time.

I'll post pictures when it happens.

Reactions: 4 users
What to do.....what to do.....

My brother needs to borrow my pick up today and will leave me his Prius to drive around, so obviously I'm not going anywhere.

I think I'll finally put my pedal assembly back together, though I might have to drive (if that's what you call going somewhere in Prius) over to Home Depot, lowe's, or Ace hardware to get some new nuts and bolts for it. I can't be expected to reuse the old rusty ones, can I?:shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
What to do.....what to do.....

My brother needs to borrow my pick up today and will leave me his Prius to drive around, so obviously I'm not going anywhere.

I think I'll finally put my pedal assembly back together, though I might have to drive (if that's what you call going somewhere in Prius) over to Home Depot, lowe's, or Ace hardware to get some new nuts and bolts for it. I can't be expected to reuse the old rusty ones, can I?:shrug:
1. a prius? reallly dont blame you
2. can you wire wheel up the bolts and nuts?

Reactions: 1 user
1. a prius? reallly dont blame you
2. can you wire wheel up the bolts and nuts?
Yeah, but then that pretty yellow coating gets rubbed right off of them.

I tell you Mike, when one is forced to be with one's family all day, one looks for little escape routes here and there.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, I didn't do crap for Doby.

I would have, but first I wanted to flush the brake fluid in my truck and put new flexible lines on it.

NBD, right?

I have spent the last six and a half hours doing roundy round loops around my truck trying to get the air out of my brake lines. About an hour ago I finally got the idea the new lines I had might be the culprit for letting air in. Very frustrating for me though, I know how basic and simple the system is and after tightening and retightening, replacing the new banjo washers with more banjo washers.:bang:

I simply have not had enough to drink today.:doh:

I swapped out the left rear for the original, bleed that line and BAM, I have brakes. Jeez. I should have just flushed the lines and been happy with that. I would have spent maybe an hour tops for that.

@madmike1157 , I almost hit you up for the throw in the towel guy.

Bright side, the truck does brake noticeably better from just the fluid.:banana: That fourteen year old fluid looked pretty nasty. Kind of a brake enema, got all that old sht flushed out.:eek:

Reactions: 1 users
Brake fluid is a vastly under maintained commodity. I do it on my daily drivers every 1-2 years and always feel a difference.

With our humid summers, plenty of opportunity for the system to absorb water

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ok, I didn't do crap for Doby.

I would have, but first I wanted to flush the brake fluid in my truck and put new flexible lines on it.

NBD, right?

I have spent the last six and a half hours doing roundy round loops around my truck trying to get the air out of my brake lines. About an hour ago I finally got the idea the new lines I had might be the culprit for letting air in. Very frustrating for me though, I know how basic and simple the system is and after tightening and retightening, replacing the new banjo washers with more banjo washers.:bang:

I simply have not had enough to drink today.:doh:

I swapped out the left rear for the original, bleed that line and BAM, I have brakes. Jeez. I should have just flushed the lines and been happy with that. I would have spent maybe an hour tops for that.

@madmike1157 , I almost hit you up for the throw in the towel guy.

Bright side, the truck does brake noticeably better from just the fluid.:banana: That fourteen year old fluid looked pretty nasty. Kind of a brake enema, got all that old sht flushed out.:eek:

You'd never use my throw in the towel guy anyway,......you're just not that kind of guy Dave.

You'd never use my throw in the towel guy anyway,......you're just not that kind of guy Dave.
Yeah, but I wanted to for a good thirty seconds or so after a replaced those little banjo washers for the second time.:fuss:

I had a brief thought of that I work at a dodge dealership, why not get them to fix it for me, then I realized what a puss I would be.

So.. Are we sure that new brake fluid makes the brakes feel better and it's not just the fact the system is being bled of any air that may have gotten in?

Not discounting that brake fluid gets funky.. But fluid doesn't compress. Be it water or hydraulic fluid. Just thinking out loud here..:scratch:

Last edited: