Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

• Sponsors (?)

You're going 5 lug correct? Anywho...most 9" wheels use a 5.5" backspacing if memory serves. An 8" uses 4.5" I believe. Been awhile since I looked. But I also just rembered I don't think they make a wheel that will fit the front other than a 4" wide (drag-street/strip)

You're going 5 lug correct? Anywho...most 9" wheels use a 5.5" backspacing if memory serves. An 8" uses 4.5" I believe. Been awhile since I looked. But I also just rembered I don't think they make a wheel that will fit the front other than a 4" wide (drag-street/strip)
I was mainly thinking for my back wheels, I narrowed the rear two inches on each side. The normal backspacings is 6.5".
And yes, five lug
Those are nice wheels, I would like 8" wheels on the front(or close to it). I call tonight and see what I can find out.

Reactions: 1 user
I've got a question for you engine bay smoothers. I was talking to one of the body men at work today about smoothing the engine bay, he said that I might want to use seam sealer to smooth out the welds along the shock tower due to flex from body twist on more aggressive launches. He says he has seen cracking along that seam. While there is some logic in my mind concerning this idea, have any of you had an issue with just using bondo to smooth the seam?:thinking:

Last edited:
I used as little filler as possible in the engine bay. Grind the welds down as smoothly as you can. The filler should just fill the little pin holes left between welds, not create the smooth transition between the panels.

The only area where I have had cracking in the past is near the sway bar mounts and where they mount to the frame rail. I welded the hell out of of that area and made it a point to smooth the welds to perfection.

As long as you aren't using gobs of filler, you shouldn't have any issues.

I used as little filler as possible in the engine bay. Grind the welds down as smoothly as you can. The filler should just fill the little pin holes left between welds, not create the smooth transition between the panels.

The only area where I have had cracking in the past is near the sway bar mounts and where they mount to the frame rail. I welded the hell out of of that area and made it a point to smooth the welds to perfection.

As long as you aren't using gobs of filler, you shouldn't have any issues.
I started reading your build from the beginning, I've popped in her end there on it in the last few months to see what you were doing.
It's lengthy, i think I'm in love with your motor. That's beyond my means right now. I want to stick with a pushrod motor as time goes along, so there will be a dart block in some form in my car's future.
I like the idea of an IRS as well.
I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing and see how progress and time changed things on your build. Probably give me a clue on my car.
Very cool car though, thanks for doing your build thread.
Scott Rod says I should have my new panels for the engine bay tomorrow. The only question I have about them right now is about the hole that the windshield fluid goes through. Not sure of an idea for that one yet. I'd rather not cut a hole in the new panel. Maybe an aftermarket washer bottle?

image.jpeg
Got my Scott Rod parts in! They are just beautifully manufactured. I can't wait to put them in.
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, my wife is acting extra nice to me. Which means I may not have much time this weekend to do much.
I'm going to try really hard though to sneak out to the garage and get after it. It may be a real early Saturday morning for me.
I think I might be a bit of a car geek because I can just sit and look at these new parts and marvel how nice they are.:crazy:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I have had times where I havent wanted to use a part because it looks so nice, and would almost rather display it. But then my wife brings me back to reality and reminds me a set of new wheels and tires looks out of place hanging on the living room wall.

Reactions: 2 users
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ok, I managed to cut the passenger side out, trim the new panel and weld it in today. I'm pleased I got that much done....Gots to go get tokens of love and admiration now for wifey. Here's the pics of today's action:

Reactions: 5 users
Sooooo. This week I will spend at least an hour and a half each night smoothing the engine bay. Tomorrow night I will finish welding the right panel and filling holes. Tuesday I get after the driver's side panel! I hope to mud by this weekend.
Then it will be time to seam seal and start sanding for paint!
Jeez I hope to have to have this painted by this time next month. I really want to start assembling all of those new parts I've been buying.

Yeah, I am ready to see you assemble all those new parts too. To me, reading progress threads is like watching a movie. I put myself in there like I am the main character, and feel like I am doing the work. And lets just say I'm not a huge fan of body finish work. I dont mind cutting and welding, but trying to make it look good afterwords always sucks. So hurry along so I can feel like I am doing fun stuff again. Thanks. :banana:

Reactions: 1 users
It's going to be in the seventies here all week long! I have to get the seam sealer on the car this week and POR 15 the underneath side.
It's freaking February and it's going to be in the seventies, almost eighty Thursday. Woohoo!
I see this as God approving of my build. So, in inference, God likes mustangs as well. My wife is wrong and should hold her tongue from here out:jester:.

I've got a question for any and everybody. Have any of you used Eastwood's rust converter? I have some rust on my floor board that doesn't warrant to have the panel replaced, yet it needs to be addressed. I bought some already, so I'll see what it does one way or the other.
I just wanted to hear if anyone has had a negative experience with it in the past.
BTW, with the nice weather I'm taking a break from smoothing the engine bay and am going to seam seal the crap out of the interior. I'm also going to coat the undercarriage with POR 15. How many chances will I have for it to be in the mid 70's in February?

I've got a question for any and everybody. Have any of you used Eastwood's rust converter? I have some rust on my floor board that doesn't warrant to have the panel replaced, yet it needs to be addressed. I bought some already, so I'll see what it does one way or the other.
I just wanted to hear if anyone has had a negative experience with it in the past.
BTW, with the nice weather I'm taking a break from smoothing the engine bay and am going to seam seal the crap out of the interior. I'm also going to coat the undercarriage with POR 15. How many chances will I have for it to be in the mid 70's in February?

I've never used the Eastwood stuff.. I've used Ospho, and Evaporust.. two very distinctly different products (from each other). They both work fantastically, not sure which the Eastwood product compares to.. @madmike1157 swears by muriatic acid, I believe.. says it's cheaper and more effective..:shrug:

I've never used the Eastwood stuff.. I've used Ospho, and Evaporust.. two very distinctly different products (from each other). They both work fantastically, not sure which the Eastwood product compares to.. @madmike1157 swears by muriatic acid, I believe.. says it's cheaper and more effective..:shrug:
I was thinking most of these type of products would use some form of that. Eastwood says that it can be treated as a primered surface after it's done doing it's stuff. Sounds good, hope it is. I'll let you know after I use it tonight.

I was thinking most of these type of products would use some form of that. Eastwood says that it can be treated as a primered surface after it's done doing it's stuff. Sounds good, hope it is. I'll let you know after I use it tonight.

Yeah, that sounds like the ospho type stuff. It changes the rust from iron oxide to a neutral iron phosphate i believe. Good stuff so long as the rust isn't real thick.

Reactions: 1 users