My 1990 LX project

This will be the beginning of my twilight blue 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 T5 hatch thread.

Plans for this project:

Engine: Build it pretty much stock with a mild cam, gt4o heads, all smog legal with bolt ons.

Suspension/brakes: Replace all suspension componets and install lowering springs. Upgrade brakes all the way around.

Interior: Clean up and replace with stock interior, add some gauges.

Exterior: Paint car original twilight blue, add Cobra headlight housings.

I will start with these current pics:

1990MustangLX50028.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

1990MustangLX50030.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

1990MustangLX50031.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

1990MustangLX50034.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

1990MustangLX50038.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

1990MustangLX50041.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

1990MustangLX50044.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

1990MustangLX50046.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]
Well, started on my suspension today and I'm beat. Here are some pics. The rack & pinion is the biggest ############ pain in the ass to deal with. I couldn't screw in the pressure hose, so I am running to the parts store to return my old r&p core and order a new pressure hose. Looked like the threads were a little screwed up on the pressure hose:( The rack was $60 bucks with an $85 core, go figure. Everything else came off easy. Got the rack in, hose is holding me up. Once I get the hose in, I can assemble everything on the driver side, then start on the passenger.

mustangsuspension001.jpg

mustangsuspension007.jpg

mustangsuspension012.jpg

mustangsuspension015.jpg

mustangsuspension021.jpg

Once I get the new rack in, I will install the new endlinks and bushings, eibach sportline springs, a=-arms with new ball joints and urethane control arm bushings. Also installed urethane rack bushings. All the old rubbers were trashed on this car. Looked all original.
Well, made some more progress tonight. Finished up the rack and installed a new return line as well as a pressure line. Finished up the driver side suspension. New a-arm with bushings, ball joint, tie rod end, eibach sportline spring, cc plate. Waiting on my tie rod endlinks and sway bar bushings from CJ Pony.

6fa218fd.jpg

c4728c0d.jpg

cc7f1f36.jpg

More progress........Installed the brakes and tightened up cotrol arms, spindle and tie rod end. Just waiting for my sway bar bushings and endlinks to come in. Then this side will be done. I also decided to just run the upper spring iso in front. I'll see how the car sits once I'm done with everything.
894082d3.jpg

922c04be.jpg

3364f1a8.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

One thing I was curious about was, how should I adjust the cc plates until I take the car to the alignment shop?? I haven't tightened up yet because i wanted to see if the wheels were going to camber in or out. I was thinking since the cc plates will be loose the wheels would camber towards the engine. Also, do these get adjusted with the full weight of the car on the ground?

Well, way more progress today.
Front is all done.
2ef5c067.jpg

Here is the rear.
3804353a.jpg

All done.
bc3a3c68.jpg

The end result:)
22bdf8cb.jpg

7e79ef8e.jpg

One thing I did was, I only installed the upper isolators on the front springs. Just wanted to see how it would look. I really like it alot. Problem is, tires rub like crazy when I try to make a tight turn. The alignment is off like hell, so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it. I adjusted the cc plates all the way outward toward the outside of the fenders and the center part where the struts bolt to, all the way towards the front of the car. What do you guys think?

Looks like a good project. Love projects, but hate how long they take. Sometimes I just wish I could drop a ton on money into one to get it done so I can enjoy it more. So ready to get my 93 Coupe closer to completion.

Those 93 Cobra's look VERY nice on the hatch. The car looks great. Keep up the good work.

I recommend getting some exterior trim paint and touch up the trim and 1/4 windows. Take the 1/4 windows off and get some filler primer and some sand paper. Prime, sand, and repeat until smooth. Then shoot a couple coats of trim paint. Worked great on mine. All the small things add up to a clean looking car.

Update:

I took the car to a very reputable alignment shop here in town. Suppose to be the best. The rubbing ended up being more than rubbing. Tires weren't rubbing at all. My rims were grinding against the lower a-arm at full lock!! Also, they found the k-member off by 1/2". Also something about a screw that holds the driver side liner was getting rubbed on by the tire at full lock.

They are going to put in some spacers and align the k-member. I am getting her back tomorrow all good to go!! Damn it was scary to drive it to the shop:eek:

I hope you got a good deal on it cause that thing was on CL for a LOOOOONNNNGGG time

CL?????

Craigslist. Nevermind , duhhh.

Picked it up for $1900 with a decent engine and some nice seats. Original engine had a sever rod knock, so the guy swapped it out for another engine for me. I also kept the original engine which has also been machined already and is for sale.