My 1990 Notchback Build Thread

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by oatburner99, Jul 2, 2011.

1. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Thank you for the explanation. I do have a another question however. So disconnecting the vacuum from the pressure regulator should be left open to the atmosphere while you adjust the fuel pressure, so a "zero-vacuum setting (vacuum is eliminated at wide-open throttle) of 39 psi could be achieved. While the fuel pressure "drop" with the introduction of vacuum to the regulator varies from car to car, roughly 4 or 5 pounds of fuel pressure once the vacuum line was reattached. If going about it this way, how would this effect my WOT?
  2. NIKwoaC

NIKwoaC 中國製造

Regardless of what your pressure drop is when the vacuum is connected, if you got a pressure reading of 44 psi with the stock fuel pressure regulator with the vacuum disconnected, that's what your fuel pressure has been forever, in other words, that's what your fuel pressure at WOT has been forever. Lowering that number to 39 psi will lower your fuel pressure at idle/vacuum, but it will also lower your pressure at WOT, AKA- lean out your WOT A/F. Lowering it is a blind effort without being able to read A/F, and maybe it could help, maybe not. The car could be rich at WOT, or it could be lean, or it could be spot on right now with the 44 psi, but you don't know without a wideband (or a buddy who really knows how to read spark plugs). These cars just tend to reek of raw gas, so I guess I wouldn't go lowering your fuel pressure on a hunch that you're running a little rich. Adjusting fuel pressure without a solid way to measure A/F is like giving a blind guy a baseball bat and sending him to the plate. He has just as much chance of swatting the umpire in the head as he does hitting a home run.
    oatburner99 likes this.
  3. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Ok. Now that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Guess I just needed you to draw a picture with crayons LOL. Thanks for the input man, I appreciate it.
  4. NIKwoaC

NIKwoaC 中國製造

No problem man :nice: keep up the good work on the car.
  5. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Quick update:

Ordered a flaming river steering shaft today. Picked this up today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to pick up some new parts for the rear axle shortly.
  6. hoopty5.0

hoopty5.0 Mustang Master

Love my manual rack. Even with the 427 now it's still easy to drive....
  7. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Picked this up.. It finally showed up on last thursday. Just haven't had a chance to get it installed yet. REASON for the install is because the stock rag joint is hitting the downtube on the #5 longtube. :( Anyway hopefully this will gain me the clearance that I need for the longtubes :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Figured I'd take some pictures of the whole steering shaft issue. This is the reason I picked up the flaming river steering shaft:

Collapsible steering shaft that isn't so collapsible:
    [​IMG]
    Yeah...soaking for the night:
    [​IMG]

The culprit:
    [​IMG]
    Even with some clearenceing, it still hits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

So here's the finished product:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1989DropTop likes this.
  10. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Wanted to do a little update:

About a week ago, while driving to work I noticed a bad vibration that kind of showed up pretty sudden. Brought the car home, and jacked it up. Figured it was maybe a u-joint. I've got a FRPP
    aluminum driveshaft installed, that is fairly new however you never know. Well, as I got to the differential, and checking for radial and axial play, found that the differential pinon flange had a
    ridiculous amount of play. Found my problem. Well this last weekend, I ended up down at Special Vehicle Operations (who's a very good friend of mine) who was kind enough to lend a helping hand
    in helping me rebuild the rear axle. I had never torn into a rear axle (other than fluid change, and axle swap) so as far as setting up gears (backlash and preload) I was lost. Well my good buddy
    gave me a really good understanding about tolerances and what not. Well as we pulled the rear end apart, we found that there were no shims installed between the carrier and the shims. You could
    basically move the tapered shims back and forth inside the carrier. GREAT! As we dug deeper, we pulled the carrier out and proceeded to get the air tools out to punch the bearings off, one quick brrrrap!
    and the bearings FELL OFF.....literally. We pulled the pinon gear out, to find that whoever previously set up the gears before me, never installed a crush sleeve, again bearings about fell off. Surprisingly
    the gears didn't look bad. So after it was all said and done, rebuilt everything, and then even had some new goodies :)

Tearing it apart and finding missing parts (and yes that's a Terlingua in the background):
    [​IMG]
    Just about done:
    [​IMG]

a VERY VERY NICE piece of History (Indiana Jones of Foxbody stuff :)
    [​IMG]

So finished that all up. Then during the test drive and gear break in this happened:
    NOTE, this was while pouring the coals to 2nd gear and snatching up 3rd with a Steeda Tri-Ax
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then strangely enough these followed me home :) Nice set of flo-fits
    [​IMG]

That's all for now.... :)
  11. VibrantRedGT

VibrantRedGT "STANGNET'S PENGUIN SMACKER" Super Mod

You broke the aluminum on the shifter handle? Now that's banging the gears. Like the garage flooring with the spec.
  12. Gearbanger 101

Gearbanger 101 we love us some gays up here Super Mod

You're not the first person I've heard of breaking the aluminum stick with the Steeda shifter. Hope mine holds out.

I don't generally power shift unless I'm at the track, but I can speed shift like nobodies business. :burnout:
  13. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Yup....poor lil Tri-Ax. Yeah I really like my floor :)

Oh I'm sure I'm not the only one. I wasn't power shifting.....btw.
  14. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Lights were starting to get that yellow/hazed look again. Spent some time cleaning them up. Wet sanded them, and then took a variable speed buffer and some PLAST-X to em....I think they turned out good.
    BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]
  15. 88LX5.Oh

88LX5.Oh Advanced Member

Those cleaned up really nice
  16. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Well haven't made any real progress with the coupe...other than things breaking. Clutch cable (stock motorcraft with 150,000 miles on it) broke. Heater core gave up the ghost (also original) So I picked up a ford racing cable (non adjustable) heater core, restrictor, heater core hoses. Also found that the tailshaft bushing is DONE. Picked one of those up as well. Then last night I was down at a neighbor's helping him with his newly aquired 84 GT350, when I heard a crash and a bunch of screaming. Little boy lost control of his bike and ran into the front driver's side of my car damaging the bumper cover. Little boy was ok, went running home to his dad, who promptly brought him back over to apologize. I don't think I've seen a little kid so scared. He obviously didn't do it on purpose, dad was willing to pay for it. Told them both not to worry about it, just glad his son was ok. Sooooooooo gave me a little bit more motivation to get started on this:

[​IMG]

Also if ANYONE has a tailshaft bushing removal tool that would rent to me I'd appreciate it. I don't really want to pull the trans out AGAIN to change it. I'd pay to rent it!

Thanks
  17. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

Worked on the garage today. It was in dire need of being cleaned up:
    [​IMG]
  18. Illuminator

Illuminator Active Member

Wow....wish mine looked like that. Need three women to get their stuff picked up to even have half a chance here....lol
  19. oatburner99

oatburner99 Member

lol I know the feeling....the whole right side of the garage had "WOMAN" junk stacked up....told her "You can either get rid of it.....or I can get rid of it" Garage is mine....you have the whole house....you need to get your stuff out!
  20. 84Ttop

84Ttop They make new pistons every day, so why worry? SN Certified Technician

I had that same conversation about a year ago when my garage was all junked up with her crap. I'm getting divorced now so it looks like I won't have to worry about that much longer. :cool: