My 68' Project

Well, this is the 68' project I have started and will no doubt be asking you guys for advice on. These pics are as it sat when I bought it (for $1800) before I loaded it on a trailer for the ride home. I have since torn it down and began work and will post pics as I go along.

It was running when I bought it in 1999 yet as you can see by the liscence plate that it hasnt seen the road since 1980. I bought it from the second owner who, along with his wife, had a mustang restoration business about 30 miles from my home. I bought this car as they were going out of business and trying to clean up their yard.

The owner assured me the motor wasnt the original because it had 289 emblems but a 302 engine as you can tell from the air breather. After stripping it down I have since found out that the cars vin comes back to a 289 car, the vin on the engine block matches the cars vin, and the engines cast # confirms it was that mid year when they ran out of 289 blocks and finished 289's using 302 blocks. Heads are stamped 289 and rods are 289. Car has 44,000 miles and all engine componets are all original and standard bore. Hardly any wear at all. The hood shows that engine or carb has been on fire before so I believe original air breather was replaced with a 302 air breather probably from a salvage yard.

I have gathered some parts including: Granada front spindles with disc brakes, new rotors and calipers, an 8.8 disc brake rearend w/ 3.55 gears from a 96' explorer. Soon will be mounting on a rotisserie and continuing work. Would like to do a Shelby Clone because I love the look but will be saving all original parts for possible reversal.

Wish me luck guys, Im about to dive in...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3327889

Attachments

• MVC-001S.jpg
    MVC-001S.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 92
  • MVC-003S.jpg
    MVC-003S.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 80
  • Sponsors (?)

One thing you can do is use an LED tail panel instead of the original type, which requires cutting holes in the sheetmetal. The LED panel requires no such cutting, and has sequential function, and is so bright anyone who can't see your brake lights is more than half blind.

This is a clone with the LED lights:

TS1423.JPG

Welcome to Stangnet and congrats on picking up what looks like a real decent 68 coupe. I couldn't see any pictures on your Cardomain site, maybe you haven't uploaded them yet? Keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to Stangnet and congrats on picking up what looks like a real decent 68 coupe. I couldn't see any pictures on your Cardomain site, maybe you haven't uploaded them yet? Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for replying and im sorry my cardomain site didnt work. Im new to all this so I may have just goofed. I added my cardomain to my original post so maybe it will work now. I checked out your site and was impressed. Great job on your car. Hope mine lookes half as good.

Well, this is the 68' project I have started and will no doubt be asking you guys for advice on. These pics are as it sat when I bought it (for $1800) before I loaded it on a trailer for the ride home. I have since torn it down and began work and will post pics as I go along.

It was running when I bought it in 1999 yet as you can see by the liscence plate that it hasnt seen the road since 1980. I bought it from the second owner who, along with his wife, had a mustang restoration business about 30 miles from my home. I bought this car as they were going out of business and trying to clean up their yard.

The owner assured me the motor wasnt the original because it had 289 emblems but a 302 engine as you can tell from the air breather. After stripping it down I have since found out that the cars vin comes back to a 289 car, the vin on the engine block matches the cars vin, and the engines cast # confirms it was that mid year when they ran out of 289 blocks and finished 289's using 302 blocks. Heads are stamped 289 and rods are 289. Car has 44,000 miles and all engine componets are all original and standard bore. Hardly any wear at all. The hood shows that engine or carb has been on fire before so I believe original air breather was replaced with a 302 air breather probably from a salvage yard.

I have gathered some parts including: Granada front spindles with disc brakes, new rotors and calipers, an 8.8 disc brake rearend w/ 3.55 gears from a 96' explorer. Soon will be mounting on a rotisserie and continuing work. Would like to do a Shelby Clone because I love the look but will be saving all original parts for possible reversal.

Wish me luck guys, Im about to dive in...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3327889

Sorry for the problem with the cardomain site. Im a newbie and didnt know what that big " this vehicle is invisible" sign meant. duh. fixed it now. Sorry again