My 82 project. *Lots of pics*

• Sponsors (?)

Hello,

The project have been idling for a while. Not enough time to do a darn thing.

Anyway, my goal is to get it finished during the winter. And after i get all the painting done i will be more motivated to do some work. I'm all fed up of this painting and sanding and so on....very frustrating. I'd rather do something more mechanical. Change the rear end, work with brakes, drop the engine in, do some electrics...stuff like that.
But as said, after all the painting-job have been done, ill change to next gear(don't know if there's any english idiom for that lol)

Ok, something i did manage to do:

Fabricated an engine ''craddle'' to mount the engine from it's mounts so that I can attach the transmission.
View attachment 303727

Here is the flexplate bolted (had to take it off because there was a needle bearing for manual trans in there).
View attachment 303728

And here is it with transmission:
View attachment 303729

The quarter windows where in very bad shape:
View attachment 303730

After some bondo and sanding:
View attachment 303731

Finished:
View attachment 303732
I'm gonna repaint those with satin black but that's not big deal.

Thanks for cheering me up:SNSign: Hopefully I do get enough time to finish this thing soon. When i do get the engine mounted and all wired up, I'll post a video of a first start i'll promise. That will happen with only headers of course:D.

Yeah, the wheels...either they are going to fit, or they are going to cry and fit. We have pretty heavy hammers in Finland too. Actually as a package those arent much different in overall size as the previous set i had, but we'll see.

Yeah, the hood was some money + shipping costs, + ... pls don't remind me:p .Either that, or hole in the original, but I think cowl hood was made for foxes, they just forgot to put it on from the factory lol.

Thank's for your intrest.

Hyvää syksyn jatkoa! ;)

So how did you get into Mustangs being from Finland? Do you guys have any performance cars there?
I've been a mustang fan from very early age. Don't know why, but Mustangs have fascinated me always. I had some savings from my musical career before i turned 18(age limit to get driving license) and so I bought mustang for my first car.
Not too common in Finland. Gasoline is very expensive here, usually people here drive cars with 1.3 to 2.0 liter engines. Or approx. 2.0 diesel-powered cars. 90 per cent, I would say.

There's a Mustang Owners club in here. I'm not sure how many members it has but quite a many actually.

Now there are 130 stangs for sale in the most common site to sell cars in Finland. Not much, and most of them are SN-95 with 3.8.... Not too many foxes. New 2005-2008 Mustang costs here about 49000€ to 89000€...about 69000$ to 127000$:eek: Thanks to our nice taxing program...
Only way to get it cheap is to come to US and live there a year, so that you can bring one car here taxfree.

Anyway, there are quite alot performance cars here, especially older ones. But some of the new too. For example, one finnish guy has couple of (Mustang) Shelby Europas which were shelby mustangs built and sold in Europe only. Those are VERY RARE. Only 14 built and wherebouts of 9 are known.
1971/1972 Shelby Europa Here's the link if you like to know more.

There are more Japanese and european sports car too, but I'm only interested in cars built in USA, and FoMoCo products especially.

Hello again!

Sorry I haven't been updating the thread.
I'll give you a brief update of what has happened during these days.

Last summer: I wasn't totally happy with the lacquer of the roof. There was quite an orange peel at the middle of the roof, because my hand didn't reach the center of the roof that well.
Anyway, I thought that I'd wetsand it a little, and put a new coat of lacquer on it. Since I wasn't familiar of wetsanding, it did go through the lacquer coat, and I had to recoat it with white basecoat..
That's when it started to go wrong. There was some chemical reaction, and almost the whole roof was spoiled.
This kind of fault:
View attachment 248727
As I tried to fix it, the area got bigger, and it started to go wrong from many spots (at least 50% of the car was looking like that at some point).
I tried and tried, but not any improvements.:notnice:

I came demoralised and pushed the car to the corner of the "cold" part of the garage. I did nothing during the winter and only grieved my bad luck and my lack of know how.

Well in spring I "turned on" again and deciced to finish the painting.
Guess what, SAME PROBLEM AGAIN:(

Then i got some advice i tried and it eventually worked. I heated the car first, then sprayed primer with little thinner only in thin coats also. Then I dried it with heat.
I fixed every spot with this method, and the sprayed a thick coat of lacquer with fast thinner.

I sanded the laquer and then started to spray the basecoat again like this:
View attachment 248728
Blue allready painted and covered.

And these photos are from this evening (its 00:19 am here now):
View attachment 248729
The stripes go tho the door well now unlike last summer.

View attachment 248730
This is the only spot I'm not totally satisfied with. Lacquer flowed a bit, but I'll let a professional to fix it someday.

View attachment 248731
Some shot of the engine bay.

I hope you understand why I haven't updated this thread. I had been too sad to even let anyone know when my problems appeared.

But now I'm doing all well:) and the project goes on.

Next I'll take out the k-member to put the engine and transmission on it.
I'll update for you whenever I get something done.
I have 2 weeks of holiday now, hopefully I'll get something done.
Thanks for your interest.

P.S.
I did paint some little parts couple a days ago:
View attachment 248732
Valve covers to match the colors of the car(blue bc is painted with a brush so it isn't so accurate)

View attachment 248733
MSD Blaster 3 became a cranecams coil:shrug:

Nice!!! I was anxious to see the updates on this car! Gotta love European Mustangs! I used to live in Lille, France for a while, and when I traveled through Europe I got excited everytime I saw a Mustang. But I actually only got to see like 5 at the most! :)

Okey, the engine is in now.
I got it in with the new k-member all by myself by lifting the whole car with this kind of setup:
View attachment 248045

View attachment 248046
The transmission is not supported by the crossmember yet , since the new i don't have new bushings.

Yesterday I installed new MM front control arms. Didn't match that well with upr k-member, but i forced them to fit and now they are ok.

Today I drilled the spindles to fit the 5/8" bolt of the bumb steer kit. Also installed the spindles on to the control arms and put the C/O setup in too.
It's MM's C/O kit and the struts are kyb AGX.
View attachment 248047

I can't put it on wheels yet because my front tires are in Denmark now lol. Ordered them from Germany, because they are much cheaper there and the price includes transportation to my "front door". Ordered the rear tires from there last summer. Rear wheels will not fit, because the size and the backspacing to the wide rear (3/4" wider than original fox widht).

I now have the front and rear wheels installed.
Installed the 95 GT rear which has sn95 lenght axles. As you can see the wheels fit quite well.
View attachment 245991

View attachment 245992

View attachment 245993

View attachment 245994

Next on my list are either to finish brakes, or start doing some electric work to get the engine running.

I had to fabricate a temporary tranmission crossmember because I have lost my original one. I have new one allready ordered.

I'll get back to you, this was just a quick update. If someone has something to ask about this setup, please do. I'll be more than happy to answer.
:nice:

good for you man, love the car!!! Don't let the project get you down when things go wrong.....this is a hobby for you, not a job. It's perfectly ok to push it aside and take a break but I hope you don't cause I love the progress I'm seeing!!

Take care,

Drew