Progress Thread My 89 Lx Gets The Trickflow Top End Treatment Etc....etc.

Now that the cam is out and timing set is off its time to start putting this bitch back together.

20160710_150809.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

20160710_152924.jpg
I kinda knew you had to do something weird about the cam retainer with the timing set that comes with the kit, but it sorta slipped my mind till I had to deal with it. You have to counter sink the supplied bolts into the retainer to clear the cam gear, other than needing to run out to Lowes and get a countersink it wasn't that bad.

Attachments

• 20160710_152419.jpg
    20160710_152419.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 161
So glad I'm finally putting parts on, timing set went on without any issues.
Don't forget to loctite the bolt... I forgot then had to pull my timing cover back off and apply the loctite when I did it.
Luckily the instructions reminded me to use some red loctite on the retainer bolts or I definitely would of missed that.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so looking forward to getting done, I'm sorta at the point where I'm questioning, why did I take apart a perfectly good motor with zero issues and spread it all over the floor ???? Could be cruising around with the a/c blowing, sorry I'm a really impatient guy haha

FB_IMG_1437230419245-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm so looking forward to getting done, I'm sorta at the point where I'm questioning, why did I take apart a perfectly good motor with zero issues and spread it all over the floor ???? Could be cruising around with the a/c blowing, sorry I'm a really impatient guy haha
Jeez, I think I understand what you're saying......:nonono:

because doing that while blowing away the camaro next to you is better.

I need to install push rod guides and thermactor plugs for the front of the heads for the accessories, I'm frustrated with my lack of knowledge and what is available on the Internet about this, loctite? thread sealer ? What is best for these pieces ? When i reinstall the heads do i need to use anything for the hook up of the cross over tube ? Also I've read way too much about head bolts, thread sealer, thread lube, motor oil, a combination of both, which is it ?? Normally I put stuff together with experience, trial and error. I'm not interested in doing this twice, I would love to hear opinions on this. Thanks.

20160717_113227.jpg

Last edited:
Head bolts bet assembly lube under the bolt heads and washers. and on the threads of the smaller bolts that do not go into the water jackets. The longer bolts that go into the water jackets get asembly lube on the bolt heads, washers and then pipe sealer on the threads. Torque them in 3 stages per the installation sheet, 30, 60, then the top at 70. the pushrod guide plate bolts get RTV or pipe sealer so they don't leak. All metal parts that touch- rocker arms, pushrods, valve stems should get a dab of moly lube. Put a dab of Right Stuff in the corner of the HG where it meets the china rails Make sure the head dowels are in place. HG go on DRY and make sure to install them with the front to the front and up. If you are not ruunning the thermactor tube, use 5.8" short plugs with teflon on the threads. If you are reinstalling the thermactor tube put some antisieze on the threads.

Short bolts go in water and get sealer, long bolts just get lubed. Rocker studs get torqued with lube (I don't think they protrude into the runners on the 170s). I'd use red loctite on any threaded plugs/reducers on the front/back of the heads. Antisieze on any other non-lubed fastener, especially stainless.

For bolt lube, if you're using arp bolts like you should, they usually come with a small packet of moly lube. If not, I think they usually say to add about another 10 ft-lb using motor oil vs the moly.

Before you put the valve covers on, squirt some of whatever oil you're going to use over the rockers and springs.

Reactions: 2 users
I do have the ARP bolts which did come with fastener assembly lube, I also purchased from LMR the ARP thread sealer anticipating I would need it. So I think I got the gist of this, a combination of assembly lube and thread sealer on the smaller bolts that pass through water jackets, just assembly lube on the longer bolts, there were two different opinions on that so I'm guessing here. lube or thread sealer on the rocker studs ? Teflon tape or loctite on the thermactor ? Anti seize on the cross over smog tubes ?

Last edited:
Long bolts are blind (don't go thru water jacket) and don't need sealer. Short ones do, as you probably saw when coolant probably started pouring out of them when you were pulling the old heads off.

I use loctite on the plugs since you can't really torque them and they can come out with whatever accessory bolt goes in them if you ever take it apart again. I do the same if I ever have to do a helicoil or keensert.