My 90 GT was hit 2 days ago advice?

indk67k

Jan 3, 2011
Hello, i dont have many posts so ill introduce myself again. my name is Mike, i live in colorado and im 22, anyway 2 days ago my car was invovled in a collision.
a 72 year old guy with a cast on his foot rammed my passenger side rear quarter panel area going maybe 10-15 mph in his chevy suburban, and now im heartbroken.
The guy took full responsibility and admitted to his fault, said his foot slipped off the gas....causing him to hit me and keep going to hit 4 other parked cars on the other side of me.
my car had just rolled over 100k miles, motor was rebuilt at 95k, new paint, all new suspension, 5 lug 4 disk break swap and just recently purchased a **** load of parts and was about to buy some new tires and wheels that same day.
the body estimated me 3,600 atleast. they say that the insurance company will most likely total out the car, my allstate agent says the same, and that if the repairs exceed more than 70% of the bluebook value they will total it.

at this point im not sure what to do but i am having a really rough time, its almost depressing. part of me wants to keep the car but part of me feels like the car is tainted forever even after the repair and that i should get another one and swap everything onto it and then sell/part it out, i feel really guilty thinking about it, but there is a nice silver lx with 97k that i am a little interested in.

i dont know if that body shop just charges a ton or not so im going to wait for the adjuster to let me know what they want to do. i want to look around more for body shops but dont know anything about them or where to look, anyway i guess im just looking for some advice?

Ill get pics up of the damage soon.

• Sponsors (?)

i dont really understang why people are always so worried about body shops. find a good reputable shop and fix the car. it will be fine! generally if you ask them too they will make sure everything is done perfectly and most shops detail the hell outa your car when finished. chances are it will look just as good when finished. but the key is find a good shop. remember you get what you pay for

You can argue with insurance companies about the value. Fair market value vs blue book. Start looking at cars with same mods and miles and start saving the ads...dont let them screw you.

In March 2008, a hit and run driver sideswiped the front of my 89 GT and totaled it. He tore off the driver's side front bumper, fog light mounting bracket, bent the fender and radiator support and tie rod. The insurance company totaled the car and gave me a check for it. At that point, the car became their property. I intended to buy it back ($200 or so) and repair it myself or have some shop do the body & paint. The insurance company said they would not insure the car, and I could only use it off road or for parts. That translated into not being able to get a valid license plate or renewal sticker for the car.

I bought the car back with a scrap/salvage title. In Florida where I was living at the time, that means the car is basically for parts only. I removed all the parts I thought I would use and had the wrecker carry the shell off for free. No wheels, no transmission, no rear axle, no electronics inside the car. All that was left in the car were the seats, a worn out 5.0 engine, the hatch and doors. The wrecker had to use an empty 20 gallon propane cylinder under the stripped shell to roll it up onto the wrecker bed. Every small thing of value was removed and stored away. The Tremec 3550, King Cobra clutch, and aluminum driveshaft has already found a home in the replacement 89 LX 5.0 hatch that I bought later in 2008.