My 95 Gt is pinging real bad any advice

wildman87

Jan 9, 2010
My 5.0 gt is pinging. the timing was set to like 0 so i moved it to 10 btdc where its supposed to be, pinging got lots worse, i have tried premium fuel and i checked my harmonic balancer and my mass air flow sensor. The egr seems to be working right also. I have set the timing to like 5 btdc so i could drive it with a little less ping. i tried seafoaming the intake with half a can im gunna use a full can tomarrow. i have heard that this was a common problem with these cars, if anyone has any advice it would be great. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

you say you ck'd the hb but it sounds like it has slipped and is giving you bad timing readings.
you can verify by setting #1 to tdc and making sure the timing mark is on 0.
@ 0 timing i'd thing it would be running like poo.

Not to belabor the obvious, but...

Do you have any codes?

You are pulling the spout when adjusting the timing, correct?

You say you "checked" the MAF. Did you clean it?

You "checked" the harmonic balancer. Did you do as above and rotate the engine to #1 TDC and make sure the lines line up?

Could you have a vacuum issue?

Does it do this all of the time, or only at operating temperature?

Personally, my car will not run if I retarded my timing that much. I know because I have stalled it out while setting the timing before. I can get to like 7 degrees BTDC and it dies.

My 5.0 gt is pinging. the timing was set to like 0 so i moved it to 10 btdc where its supposed to be

This is the magic answer to your query. The problem here is your engine was probably already timed to 10* but since the balancer is probably slipped, it was only "showing" 0. Now you say you have it set to 5 which is probably more like 15 in which case 99% of these cars will ping. The most I could ever get away with was 12 on a good running car.

How old is your balancer? Have you ever replaced it?

I thought I read a thread where the computer failed on one or two injectors so they would not open and the result was a lean mixture and the pinging noise. (The computer will fail, my 3.8 did and left 2 injectors open flooding bank 2 cylinders 4 and 5)