My car acts like key on engine off with no key in it!!

voodoo

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
Pensacola, Fl
Another question for you electrical gurus. I just recently rewired the 2g alternator in my 87 5.0 per the diagram that was made by tmoss. It worked great alternator is charging fine. After I fixed that my car died later and wouldn't start up. All of the sudden with the key out of the ignition my electric fan kicked on and there is a noise that sounds like the cpu doing a self diagnostic. It acts like key on engine off at all times. The self diagnostic noise comes on over and over again and my fan gets power at all times unless I unhook the battery. When I do the key on engine off the guages kick on but when I turn it all the way over to start it I get no power other than the check engine light and no start at all. I am getting so frustrated. I have recently changed the ignition switch, clutch safety switch, starter solenoid, and starter. My battery is new and holds a charge. I know it is something simple it has to be. Please help if you can. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

For diagnostics, if you have any doubts about the fan wiring, disconnect the fan wiring (from the power point connections) and see what happens.