My Car is Messed Up!!!!!!!!

MadHandle8169

Founding Member
May 5, 2002
Brick, NJ
My car has ran great since I had it until I put in Nitrous. The nitrous may be unrelated but I'm not sure. Recently my car doesn't want to idle at all. I'm not spraying the nitrous until I get this figured out and I might take it off I haven't decided. But, I readvanced the timing to 14* which is where it ran pristine before the nitrous install. I also installed new colder spark plugs. I have cleaned the MAF as well.

Now to what my car is doing. Sometimes it is difficult to start but when it does start it starts normally. Then it goes haywire. It does not want to idle at all. It is just all over the place. It feels like it's going to stall and sometimes while driving it does. It doesn't backfire or anything but it also doesn't feel like it is at full power. I also heard the computer on these cars doesn't respond well to mods. I don't have anything to pull codes with nor do I have the money to bring it to a shop to look at it and charge me a lot of money. Anyone have a similar experience or have any idea what to try and fix it. I'm about to take the nitrous out and buy regular spark plugs and just run it like that and see. I'm going to try and clean the MAF sensor as well. But, it gets expensive to just try and buy parts to see if that helps.

Sorry this is soooooo long but please help!

• Sponsors (?)

I noticed you have the zex nitrous kit which I assume still uses signal from the tps sensor to activate. It is possible that it is causing problems with your tps sensor and that is the idle problem, or it could also be a dirty idle air control. Check your tps with the key on and see if your voltage is about .99 or so. If you don't want to read the codes yourself advance auto parts has a excellent code reader and will give you a print out of the codes and what they mean. As far as the computers not liking mods some do and some dont. It is usually cams that they do not respond all that well to.

I doubt the Zex NMU is causing problems with the TPS, 2L8. It simply taps the white wire from the TPS, and only reads the voltage.

MadHandle, I'm probably misunderstanding you, but did you spray with 14* timing? Please say no. Also, did you do the normal nitrous precautions before you started spraying (fuel pump, cold plugs, retarded timing, ect)?

Sounds like you may have a blown headgasket, which is one of the first things to go on our cars when they go lean on nitrous. Make sure your oil and coolant aren't mixing. Is the car overheating?

No I never sprayed on 14* I set it back to that from 10 to see if that corrected the problem. I am not overheating either.

I did all the nitrous precautions besides the fuel pump but I only sprayed the 75 shot and never heard any pinging. The performance wasn't the main problem because I think it just feels slow off nitrous. It is mainly the idle it just wants to like die basically.

Does unplugging the battery reset the computer so it could relearn the car or does it not work like that?

The car is sitting right now because I'm at college but that is one of the best parts of coming home for the weekend to drive my car.

i know this thread is kinda old, but i wanted to mention that i have a zex kit. the wire splice they provide for the tps sensor is a peice of crap. i could not even use it. other people mentioned that the tps voltage could be effecting your idle. i dont know much about the tps, or the 3 wires and what each wire does. but it just made me think that if you used the wire splice that came with the kit maybe it is interfering with the voltage for the tps. try a splicer that is of higher quality, and make sure you have a very good conection at that splice. i would strip the wires, hope that helps. (exuse my bad spelling)

check for a vacuum leak in one of the lines going to the zex control box. that would be my best guess. aside from a vacuum leak, i see no way that the nitrous kit could be the root of your problem.

Good avice. There are two vacuum lines that run from the NMU, one to the fuel pressure regulator and one to the manifold.