My car is plotting against me, wont hit 12's

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry it was a quote from The Fast and the Furious, it was a joke lol.
I got it, and aprove. :nice:

Curious, what kind of shape is your clutch in? Are you getting nice, crisp "barks" on the upshift, or are you experiencing any major slippage? I used to get major clutch slip on the power shift through 3rd with my last Mustang that I swear killed .2-.3 of my time. Used to drive me nuts! :bang:

How's it pulling? Does it seem to fall on it's face pretty early in the power band? Where are you shifting on the stock tach? Withe stock like heads and bumpstick in there, you should be shifting in the 5,400-5,600RPM range. Much higher than that could be costing you. It's as bad for power to overrev and engine, as it is to underrev it.

Launch at a higher RPM
Dude, he's cutting sub 1.80 60ft times.....It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with his holeshot. Something is happening between the 1-2 and 2-3 upshift if you ask me.

Curious, what kind of shape is your clutch in? Are you getting nice, crisp "barks" on the upshift, or are you experiencing any major slippage? I used to get major clutch slip on the power shift through 3rd with my last Mustang that I swear killed .2-.3 of my time. Used to drive me nuts! :bang:

How's it pulling? Does it seem to fall on it's face pretty early in the power band? Where are you shifting on the stock tach? Withe stock like heads and bumpstick in there, you should be shifting in the 5,400-5,600RPM range. Much higher than that could be costing you. It's as bad for power to overrev and engine, as it is to underrev it.

Dude, he's cutting sub 1.80 60ft times.....It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with his holeshot. Something is happening between the 1-2 and 2-3 upshift if you ask me.
Depends how he's coming off the clutch a lot. I can dump it at 6000 of the 2 step and go the same 60 as I would if I come out 4500 an ride it out. Difference would be if I went 6k and dumped it, I'd have not steam behind the car when it's in 2nd. More to launching a car then the 60 shows... One of the reasons we watch the 330 close with the race car

Depends how he's coming off the clutch a lot. I can dump it at 6000 of the 2 step and go the same 60 as I would if I come out 4500 an ride it out. Difference would be if I went 6k and dumped it, I'd have not steam behind the car when it's in 2nd. More to launching a car then the 60 shows... One of the reasons we watch the 330 close with the race car

I agree. His car isn't making near enough power to make a high RPM clutch drop worthwhile. He's made no mention of any sort of "bog" coming off the line, so it sounds like he's coming out of it cleanly with his current 60ft times. In my experience with a car making these power levels, riding the clutch out of the hole often nets a better run than just side stepping it at high RPM. Especially if the engine falls on it's face after the first 60ft because the car hasn't the torque, or built the momentum to carry it out past that distance.

Since when is a 1.8 a good 60? If he gets the 60 down even 1/10 that should get him into the 12's.
A 1.8 60ft time is good enough to get him well into the 12's with what he’s got done to the car now. I've seen and run cars with less power that make 12's with 60ft times above that. I'm not saying a quicker short time wouldn't be better....I'm saying that his first 60ft may not be the problem. His issues lie beyond that IMO.

Every almost stock foxbody launches on the stock limiter, so all the guys that put stockers into the 12's must have been doing it wrong. Got ya
Really....you've seen "every almost stock fox body run". You must get around? :shrug:

I've run 12's without touching the rev limiter...am I doing it wrong? How about the guys with the automatics? Maybe they'd run a better time if the swapped in a converter that stalled somewhere in the 6,000RPM range?

No two cars are the same. Dropping a blanketed statement like "Launch at a higher RPM” as though it’s the universal solution to all drag racer woes and then chastising someone for not embracing it after clearly explaining why that may not be the only solution isn’t solving anything. Don't be such a condescending smart ass.

Dont even look at the tach, just rev it till you hear the rev limiter, and drop the clutch.

But i do agree something is off there, cause even with that sixty you coulda went 12.80's

I didnt read the thread, but are you powershifting the car? If you arent, then you should

I am the smart ass? Clearly you cant read as usual. I never said I've seen every stock run. Do some research and you'll find almost all the guys that would get foxes into the 12's in the early 90's would launch at 6250. I never said that's the only problem but its deff not helping. What rpm at your going through the traps at and what gears are in it.

Reactions: 1 user
What DA are you at?...what temp was it out?...i run at sea level and with good DA sometimes its less...maybe that helps me when i run....

OK dumb question but what is DA?

My clutch should be good, it doesnt slip it catches pretty good, its a King Cobra that has maybe 10k miles on it.

The car doesnt seem to be falling on its face at all, I try to shift around 5500-5800rpm. I usually launch around 4500-5000 rpm I'm not bouncing it off the rev limiter, and I do drop the clutch but not violently, I also dont slip it but I do a controlled release I would say. The car pulls pretty good off the line, no bogging and I do power shift it.

I am the smart ass? Clearly you cant read as usual. I never said I've seen every stock run. Do some research and you'll find almost all the guys that would get foxes into the 12's in the early 90's would launch at 6250. I never said that's the only problem but its deff not helping. What rpm at your going through the traps at and what gears are in it.

3.73 gears, I am crossing the line in 4th gear, probably around 4000rpm

Have you experimented with shifting at a higher or lower RPM than what you usually do? I remember one of the last passes I ever made on the car when it still had the stock heads on it I shifted a few hundred RPM higher than I normally did, just for :poo:s and giggles, and I picked up speed and dropped a couple tenths. In my head, the car felt like it was nosing over but it still went faster.

I would say that if you're being that consistent, maybe throw logic out the window and start experimenting with your driving and see what happens.

OK dumb question but what is DA?
My clutch should be good, it doesnt slip it catches pretty good, its a King Cobra that has maybe 10k miles on it.

The car doesnt seem to be falling on its face at all, I try to shift around 5500-5800rpm. I usually launch around 4500-5000 rpm I'm not bouncing it off the rev limiter, and I do drop the clutch but not violently, I also dont slip it but I do a controlled release I would say. The car pulls pretty good off the line, no bogging and I do power shift it.

DA is density altitude in feet. It's calculated from the ambient air temp., barometric pressure, relative humidity, and elevation. The DA is used to correct the times to "ideal" sea level conditions so you can make proper comparisons with other runs done at a different DA.
I think you might just need to shift at higher rpm so try 6000. Your stock tach may be off (the Fox tach has been known to overread by a few hundred rpm) so get an aftermarket tach so you can see exactly where you're at.
Your launch is fine. A 1.8 60' time is great for a low 13's 1/4 mile ET.

If you had Aluminum heads on the car you'd be in the 12.7's those other guys are hitting. Since you're so close take out the passenger seat, run with 1/8 tank of high octane fuel, try to put a little more timing in it. You should be able to get a 12.99 with this alone I would think.