my cheap project for the day!

There is no need for a diagram or any of that crap you guys used.. cut it a little over sized in ANY shape, begin to apply it to the light, and then get it all straight and nice, and pretty much stuck down then cut pieces off and squegee(sp, lol) some more, and then cut to make it "flat" on the light where there is no wrap arounds on the corners if that makes sense.. and then squegee some more.

It's suuuuuuch a waste of time IMO to make a diagram and crap and try to be all perfect about it.. just put it on yer light and use a razor blade (box cutter) and cut nicely around the outside, but not hard enough to get to the plastic.. it was simple and I did the whole thing in about an 45 minutes this way.

I found it easier anyways since you could almost "stretch" the vinyl around the light for a tight nice fit.. it worked perfecly and gave me some room to work with, rather than trying to fit a perfectly shaped peice on and making sure there was no air and keeping it all straight.

I figure you can get it on there and all laid out, then cut.. Just my $0.02

• Sponsors (?)

I just tried the spray tint method. I didn't mask off the reverse lights, but I'm not making the lights really dark. At the moment, the paint is still hardening. I'll probably put them back on the car tomorrow, and take a pic.

Susky said:
I just tried the spray tint method. I didn't mask off the reverse lights, but I'm not making the lights really dark. At the moment, the paint is still hardening. I'll probably put them back on the car tomorrow, and take a pic.

waiting on your results...so post those pics :D thanks

I ordered the nightshades, spray tint a while back, and did it on my truck. I like it better than tint film on the taillights. If you do them right, they look factory tinted. I wetsanded mine in between each coat, then buffed them, and threw on a coat of wax, and they looked perfect. Mine were dark, but when your lights are on you cant even tell they are tinted because they dont trap the light in. Pretty cool stuff.

Here's the job I did. I should have done all the sanding and such, but I was too lazy, and in too big a hurry. It has a little orange-peel effect if you look really close, but at real traffic distance, it's just peachy.

It's a little misleading with the sun hitting one side, but believe me, they're evenly tinted.

Yeah, I know it's dirty. I also put on the black letters, and I'm waiting a couple of days for them to be good and stuck before I start scrubbing around. The wait will also help make sure the tint paint (and clearcoat) is totally hardened.

tail.jpg

PEWTERPONY said:
Tinting flim is made to adhere to the inside, not the outside. I just don't see those tail lights staying the way they are over time, weather, wear...

Why not just clearcoat the film?

The main thing with me is not the cost, but rather the fact that if I get hassled or when I sell, its going to be hard with sprayed on tint.

Looks nice!

I might go the spray method. I think I am going with a black theme for my Mineral Grey. I will probable do the black letters and black wheels (with polished lip) as well as the 35th anniv. rear panel. I already have tinted windows.

Mossberg said:
Looks nice!

I might go the spray method. I think I am going with a black theme for my Mineral Grey. I will probable do the black letters and black wheels (with polished lip) as well as the 35th anniv. rear panel. I already have tinted windows.

Thanks. Yeah, the black theme seems to work the best for me. I'm not really happy with the color of the stock wheels (gray). I think I'd prefer having the real black version of them...but I have what I have.