my cheap project for the day!

• Sponsors (?)

PEWTERPONY said:
Tinting flim is made to adhere to the inside, not the outside. I just don't see those tail lights staying the way they are over time, weather, wear...

after several high pressure car wash, and high speed driving, mine sitll not off. Once moisture is gone, they are not coming off untill YOU take it off

Yeehah, just did mine last night. I found a windshield tint strip at walmart for 4 bucks that was like 5"x72" and it worked perfectly. The only bad part was I couldn't' cover the outside portion of the light with one strip so I had to add another little section to the outside of each one. You can't tell unless you look really close. I also did the 3rd brakelight on the trunk edge which was a royal pain but it came out looking great. Its amazing how well the vinyl stuck, even on weird curved surfaces. I can't believe you did that in just an hour either. It took me at least 2 or 3 goin back and forth to the garage and the kitchen to cut new pieces. I'll post a pic once I get my camera from school. Looks awesome on silver.

gtvertsoon said:
Yeehah, just did mine last night. I found a windshield tint strip at walmart for 4 bucks that was like 5"x72" and it worked perfectly. The only bad part was I couldn't' cover the outside portion of the light with one strip so I had to add another little section to the outside of each one. You can't tell unless you look really close. I also did the 3rd brakelight on the trunk edge which was a royal pain but it came out looking great. Its amazing how well the vinyl stuck, even on weird curved surfaces. I can't believe you did that in just an hour either. It took me at least 2 or 3 goin back and forth to the garage and the kitchen to cut new pieces. I'll post a pic once I get my camera from school. Looks awesome on silver.

I used your method, it took me 1 hr 40 minutes to cut a template out (4 of the sections can be used with this template). Then I used a piece of paper from the roll to cut out one for the thrid light and used a little bit more for each of the outer ones. I wasted too much and don't have enough for the thrid brake light :( althrough that is already pretty bright.

Looks very nice.

I used the vinyl window tint stuff you buy at Walmart. It peeled off after about a week of driving. I think the dust around this area was able to penetrate or something.

I used to do window tinting, and I had it cut perfectly, squeegied completely, etc... not sure, maybe the tint I got was subpar quality. I think perhaps next I will try that Saran wrap that is black if they make it.