My Clutch is Dragging!!! HELP!

jster91

May 21, 2004
Lititz, PA
I have a 2000 GT with a 5 speed. I had a centerforce dual friction clutch installed about a year ago. I am having trouble with the clutch not disengaging completely at a stop. As I drift to a stop and around 5 mph or so I feel a subtle lunging sensation. Also, when stopped I take it out of gear and let the clutch out and then depress the clutch and try to put it back in 1st, it goes into gear with difficulty and also moves the car forward slightly.

Now I've adjusted the clutch cable ratchet at least 3 clicks and it engages almost at the top of it's travel. With that much travel you'd think it would disengage completely.

What could be the problem. A shop told me to get a quadrant adjuster kit. But it seems like my stock setup is moving the cable plenty to disengage.

Any ideas??? Please help. I'm sure this isn't good for my clutch.

:(

• Sponsors (?)

We had various problems with my wife's 01 after the King Cobra was installed - so we threw everything at it; adjustable cable, firewall adjuster and steeda quad (actually tried both Steeda quads - the red one and the blue one). This gives us all the adjustability we could ever want, but the pedal height was still a problem (too high) - so we then bought a maximum motorsport clutch pedal adjuster and all our issues have now been resolved.
This seems to be an issue with most aftermarket clutches...different engagement/friction points. I'd recommend the 3 piece kit. BTW, we've had no problem with the aftermarket cable, which is what some people complain about-the fact that these aftermarket cables aren't made as well as the OEM cable.