My EFI wiring harness pics!

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
Yep, got the wiring harness a couple days ago after 2 months of round-about BS with the guy. I ordered it from http://www.fordfuelinjection.com
I must say, I'm very impressed with the superior quality of this harness and WOULD reccomend the wiring harness, but it took forever. It took him two months to get this harness to me and he told me it only takes 2-3 days to build it.

As far as I'm concerned, the harness is THE best EFI harness out there for a classic Mustang. All one piece, has good protection, well built and strong, wires are all marked, and it's price CAN'T be beat. So, I'm finally happy with it. So....here are the pics of the installation getting underway.

harness1.JPG

harness2.JPG

harness3.JPG

harness4.JPG

Here is the wiring harness entering behind where the glove box was. The computer is just sitting there right now. I'm not too sure how I am going to be able to mount it in an easy to get to location and still be able to have room for my glovebox cardboard. :shrug:

harness6.JPG

I also have this brown, yellow, and green wire connector that must connect to a stock connector that gives power to the harness when the key is on. I still can't find that connector. Maybe someone could point it out to me?

harness5.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Speed_Demon1965 said:
Here is the wiring harness entering behind where the glove box was. The computer is just sitting there right now. I'm not too sure how I am going to be able to mount it in an easy to get to location and still be able to have room for my glovebox cardboard. :shrug:

I mounted mine in the center above the radio, using a (modified) bracket that is available from one of the California-based Mustang suppliers. Works well, but I did have to reverse the computer mount on the bracket. Email me if you want more details - [email protected]

Here's a couple pics of my install. With 65 mounts and some cutting and welding on the monte carlo bar I got it to fit. For some reason my bar had a downward bow in it, I had to cut it and flip the bar to clear. I still need to modify the export brace. If I wasn't running the egr valve it might just fit with 1/4" spacers at the shock towers and firewall.

attachment.php

You might be able to see the harness grommet at the far left behind the hood hinge. The battery is in the trunk, and the red cables are the alt feed and starter wire. I put a distribution and fuse block on the radiator support to the left of the radiator. I mounted the ECM with a factory style plastic retainer under the cowl, with rtv on the screws to seal. I forgot to get pics of that.

attachment.php

The sender looking thing is just that, I modified the stock sender to mount the fuel pump, we'll see how it works. My fuel guage reads empty when I've got 6 gallons left, so I doubt I'll run it low enough to have problems.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 263
  • untitled4.JPG
    untitled4.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 262
fast64stang, he builds the harness from scratch. It's all brand new. The connectors are brand new OEM Ford connectors, but he builds this harness specifically for the classic Mustang, so there is no extra emissions BS to deal with.

It is $475 for the harness. But, I got the 3G alternator upgrade and it came to $500. It's the cheapest EFI wiring harness I have found. Damn well worth it, you'll just have to wait a few months so be warned if you decide to buy one.

I used the Ford Motorsport harness. It's made for a 5.0 EFI to go in an older car. Works great. It was about $480 from my local Ford dealer and only had to wait a week or so. Here's a plus: I called the tech support at one point and actually got somebody who knew what he was talking about!!! ... and at no charge.

I got my battery hooked up today and found out how to hook the harness into the power. Did a self test and found out the harness and computer are working correctly. The relays clicked, the coil sparked, and the computer gave me codes (I still have stuff that's not hooked up). All I need to do is hook up the starter, alternator, do my fuel system, and I can run this mofo!

Speed_Demon1965 said:
burg65, do you know where Ottumwa is at? I live about 15 miles fom Ottumwa.

Yeah, you are about as close to the Missouri border as I am to the Minnesota border. I get down to Missouri every once and a while, I'll have to email ya before my next trip down. It would be cool to see your progress in person.

burg65 said:
Yeah, you are about as close to the Missouri border as I am to the Minnesota border. I get down to Missouri every once and a while, I'll have to email ya before my next trip down. It would be cool to see your progress in person.

Sounds like a deal. :nice:

Well, I got the starter working just gotta hook it up to the ignition switch now. Last night, I put the stock 19# injectors back in. I just hope they aren't plugged up too bad.

I now have my low pressure auxillary pump so I can have my header tank built. Hopefully that wont take long. After that's been built, I will need fuel line and my fuel system will be done.

Was gonna get my exhaust put on this weekend but I have to work.

So, all I really need is to finish my fuel system and get my exhaust put on (could run open headers though) and it should run.

Driveshaft needs shortened about a 1/2 inch and need to figure out what shock tower braces will fit before I can actually DRIVE it. So, I'm getting closer!

Speed_Demon1965 said:
Well, I got the starter working just gotta hook it up to the ignition switch now. Last night, I put the stock 19# injectors back in. I just hope they aren't plugged up too bad.

I now have my low pressure auxillary pump so I can have my header tank built. Hopefully that wont take long. After that's been built, I will need fuel line and my fuel system will be done.

Was gonna get my exhaust put on this weekend but I have to work.

So, all I really need is to finish my fuel system and get my exhaust put on (could run open headers though) and it should run.

Driveshaft needs shortened about a 1/2 inch and need to figure out what shock tower braces will fit before I can actually DRIVE it. So, I'm getting closer!

Have you seen the fuel accumulator at BC Broncos? You will have to scroll down to see it, but here is the link.

BC Broncos Fuel Accumulator

Ok, I have what maybe a silly question. What vaccuum lines need to be installed? I have a copy of the Ford EFI Wiring booklet and they have the complete vaccuum line diagram, which ones are needed and which ones could be done away with?