My friend with his stroked 302

Stangfreak95

add a 4
Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
In your sister. If none, your mom
My buddy's been building this monster for the last 2 years. Its a 92 silver coupe. Car is absolutely mint. He stroked it to some weird "stroke". Usually we see a 331ci or 347ci but this is a 364ci. We went on the dyno a month ago. It was just a 3pull deal without any tuning. Still has stock computer and 14*timing. He put down on a mustang dyno 391rwhp and 398rwtq. Thats a little low. We were expecting 425rwhp. He had some custom cam, x303 heads and Trickflow R intake. He went to the track and did 12.4@114mph with ET street.

Then he swapped the R intake for the box R series intake. Didnt go to the dyno yet. Just returned from the track and just ran a 11.8@118mph on ET street with high 1.6's 60ft. There was also a 119mph pass. I'm sure he'll pick up another 20rwhp with a tune. That intake swap really did a good difference. This is with a 5speed. He has a lentech auto tranny ready to go in so we'll see even lower times. That thing is badass :hail2:

Just curious, what kind of mph do the 347ci guys get on the 1/4mile?

• Sponsors (?)

364 CID is at least a 4.125" bore, meaning, it's probably an R or Dart block.

Mike's (Grn92LX) 347 should have no problem seeing times well into the 11's at 118 MPH with his upcoming 347 setup...

Joe

Killercanary said:
My dad is trapping 117mph with his STOCK displacement 302, ie no overbore. I'd expect that car to be in the 120+mph range with those cubes and that kind of power on a mustang dyno.
I was gonna say that even YOU Paul are running better times than the first ones posted.. The factor missing is we dont know what kind of driver he is.

We all know you and your dad's abilities.

RC

hmmmmm...my friend (9eightGTEE) is selling his car to buy a 90 LX hatch with a 347....the motor is a summit block, scat steel crank, forged pistons and rods, afr 185 heads, lunati cam, edelbrock performer II intake...etc etc.....and when the previous ownder to this owner dynoed it, it only made 322 rwhp, and 352 rwtq at larocca's performance or a dynojet.....this is WITH a dyno tune and chip.....i dont understand why hes not making over 400hp to the wheels at least.....he is running kinda rich, and he was gettin a slight ping on 94 octane in the 100+ degree weather, so i said why dont u back down on the timing a little, so you can also back off on the fuel pressure a little, and he was like something isnt right here......sry to highjack the thread, just wondering since its been bothering me and its not even my car.......

stprorolla49 said:
hmmmmm...my friend (9eightGTEE) is selling his car to buy a 90 LX hatch with a 347....the motor is a summit block, scat steel crank, forged pistons and rods, afr 185 heads, lunati cam, edelbrock performer II intake...etc etc.....and when the previous ownder to this owner dynoed it, it only made 322 rwhp, and 352 rwtq at larocca's performance or a dynojet.....this is WITH a dyno tune and chip.....i dont understand why hes not making over 400hp to the wheels at least.....he is running kinda rich, and he was gettin a slight ping on 94 octane in the 100+ degree weather, so i said why dont u back down on the timing a little, so you can also back off on the fuel pressure a little, and he was like something isnt right here......sry to highjack the thread, just wondering since its been bothering me and its not even my car.......
Yeah that does seem strange, and also discouraging, because that's a similar combo to what I wanna do...347/custom cam/185's/RPM II. Gotta be something else going on there.

If you look at the "rated" combos of some 347's, they dont always promise 400 to the wheels, but they ARE usually around 400 or so to the crank, and about 375 to the wheels, which is awesome on motor only.

RC

With the horsepower number being so much greater than the torque figure, I'd imagine that the cam that was in the car is designed with tons of low-end, hence the low horsepower numbers. Torque probably starts to drop at 4500 RPM or so, resulting in a less than stellar horsepower figure. The car is probably a blast to drive though...

Rob, I wouldn't worry. The custom cam shouldn't have any problem pulling 375 RWHP out of a streetable 6000 RPM 347.

Mike, do you know what kind of cam is in the car?

Joe

stprorolla49 said:
p.....i dont understand why hes not making over 400hp to the wheels at least.

1) 1 5/8" shorty headers do NOT belong on any type of combo that your friend has.

2) He has a WAY wrong cam that he said was mild and along the lines of an F cam. That doesn't belong in his combo either.

He said after the larocca chip it made 350hp. Now, put a REAL cam in it, GOOD valve springs, a longtube 1 3/4" header with a 3" mid pipe if possible and watch those #'s rise like your manhood when you watch **** :D

He also did not mention his compression. IMO anything under 10.5:1 is too low.