My fuel filter changing experience

5.0Torx

Dec 30, 2007
Hey all,

Just thought I'd get this out on the internet for the next guy with a GT like mine.

I changed my fuel filter today and was a little perplexed to not find a schrader valve on my passenger fuel rail. I looked around the search forums and found the link to the guy with the Bullitt who made a nice writeup. My fuel rail doesnt looke like his. I dont know why.

So I opted for the "unplug the inertia switch and idle til she dies" method, and was again perplexed to find that my car idled - albeit a little rough at times - for 5 minutes solid. I thought I had gotten my order of operations wrong, and tried it again by unplugging the switch with the engine already idling. Again, 5 minutes solid before I gave up and just turned it off by hand.

To guys on the search forums:

1) This was indeed enough of a pressure relief for fuel to not go spraying everywhere.

2) I drove to the parts store, drove back, and did this immediately. In almost 100 degree heat, while raining lol. I stuck a fan in front of the car (in my garage) and let everything cool off for about 30 minutes while i was changing into my ****ty clothes, jacking the car up, getting tools, etc...Point being, the exhaust pipes and differential cooled off in that amount of time. No explosions or fiery escapades.

3) My SES light came on on my second attempt to starve the motor of fuel. I didnt really feel like waiting for 3 consecutive cold starts, so i unplugged the battery and started over. I really needed it anyway since my old fuel filter looked like crap and was spilling out what looked like mud!

4) I wore eyewear and draped a rag over the rest of my face. I had another rag in my right hand to catch fuel as it came out. It wasnt too bad. It runs much better now, too!

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, I've always just unplugged the harness right behind the fuel tank up under the bumper (not the inertia switch). For me, it wouldn't even really start after I unplugged it (I had the car off when I unplugged it).

I've used this method many many times, but when I changed my fuel filter several months ago, for whatever reason, I forgot to do it. Fuel went everywhere, all over me except my face. I won't be making that mistake again, lol.

Sounds really familiar. I also tried the inertia switch and it ran forever (6-7 mins with occasional revs). It never did stop running. :rolleyes: The fuel pressure gets plenty low and it works just fine. :)

To save you guys a future headache, you don't need to bleed the rail pressure or trip the inertia switch and run the fuel out of the lines.

Just disconnecting the line at the fuel filter won't result in an un-controllable spray of fuel. It will leak out and spill on the ground, but that's about it. Just keep some rags under the general area and you're set.

To save you guys a future headache, you don't need to bleed the rail pressure or trip the inertia switch and run the fuel out of the lines.

Just disconnecting the line at the fuel filter won't result in an un-controllable spray of fuel. It will leak out and spill on the ground, but that's about it. Just keep some rags under the general area and you're set.

What? You dont need to release the fuel pressure when disconnecting the filter? I cant see how thats possible :scratch:

I never bothered to relieve the pressure, I find that the tad extra that dribbles out isn't worth the hassle.
When I do however have to relieve the pressure, I just take the fuel pump fuse out, run till it dies and wait 15 for good measure. Works evertime!

I just wrap a t shirt size rag around it when releasing the filter.
disconect the toward engine side first. Only about 6 oz will come out.
I did learn this the hard way..... Back in the 90's I went to change the fuel filter on my 91 Bronco, first time changing a filter on a vehicle with an
electric fuel pump, and totaly soaked the shirt I was wearing.
I was like...... dont anyone light a cigerette please.

Like I said, the far easiest way to relieve the pressure is this:

Turn the car off. There is a plug up under the rear bumper behind the fuel tank. You unplug this plug. Then you turn the car over 5 or so seconds. It may hit once or twice, but that's all it's ever done for me.

And voila, fuel pressure is relieved. It takes all of MAYBE 30 seconds. And it DOES make a lot of difference in how much fuel goes everywhere. I've done both: with fuel pressure, it soaked most of my body; without fuel pressure, it dribbled a little bit.

This is a handy tip because I surely wouldn't take the fuel rails off without relieving the pressure.

and totaly soaked the shirt I was wearing.
I was like...... dont anyone light a cigerette please.

:lol::lol:

Yeah ive changed the fuel filter on other cars and it sprays pretty good if you dont relieve the pressure. Definitely no the end of the world, but I do like relieving the pressure first. JMO. I just wanted to make this thread for those of us without the schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail. :nice:

+1 That's what I have always done.

This is how i do it on my 88, on the wifes car last week i bled off at the valve on the fuel rail and still had gas all over the place, not much leaked but that stuff spreads like none other!

usually just taking off the fuel cap is enough to relieve pressure. I never mess with the schrader valves or unplugging stuff anymore. I just take the cap off and go to it. A few ounces usually drip out but I never get fuel spraying wildly everywhere. Safety glasses are a must though. Fuel in the eye = BAD.

usually just taking off the fuel cap is enough to relieve pressure. I never mess with the schrader valves or unplugging stuff anymore. I just take the cap off and go to it. A few ounces usually drip out but I never get fuel spraying wildly everywhere. Safety glasses are a must though. Fuel in the eye = BAD.

That's what I do.
It dribbles a little bit, but definitely doesn't spray.
Safety glasses and rags, like you say are a must.
Also disconnecting the battery as well.