My head swap thread!

Alright guys, heres the update. We started at about 10:30am, we stoped here at about 1pm. It may not look like alot cause the heads are still on but really did get alot of stuff done. All I have to do is get the exhaust off so I can reach the lower head bolts and take off the heads. I have ALOT of cleaning ahead of me. Just look at the alternator bracket! :eek:

1003508mv6.jpg

1003511im8.jpg

pic.php

1003505jc7.jpg

1003513qs7.jpg

pic.php

pic.php

1003512wj4.jpg

Attachments

• 1003508mv6.jpg
    1003508mv6.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 43
  • 1003511im8.jpg
    1003511im8.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 36
  • Sponsors (?)

PoopDawg said:
Awesome man! Sorry I'll be gone tonight through Sunday night, so I can't help you. But I'm sure you'll get 'er done! Good luck bro!

Nick

damn my tech man wont be here haha, Jrichker said he has off tomorrow so hes probably coming tomorrow and saturday so we can finish her up prety quick, who better to have helping me then joe :)

mob said:
damn my tech man wont be here haha, Jrichker said he has off tomorrow so hes probably coming tomorrow and saturday so we can finish her up prety quick, who better to have helping me then joe :)

Leave out NO DETAIL... I must have a good thread when I attempt this.

Another update. Got one head off, man what a surprise that was when I went to lift the head and found 2 ground on the back of it, can you picture me with a 32495810294 pound head in my hand just holding it trying to figure out what to do! haha I ened up just putting it on the header, couldnt get the bolt out so I had to put it on the fender and pretty much jump on the wrench and the bolt finally broke loose haha, heres the pics.

The head poured out tons of coolant thats why the cylinders have it in them.

1003516pm6.jpg

1003521du8.jpg

1003520gc0.jpg

1003519lr0.jpg

Attachments

• 1003516pm6.jpg
    1003516pm6.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 36
  • 1003521du8.jpg
    1003521du8.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 23
  • 1003520gc0.jpg
    1003520gc0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 44
  • 1003519lr0.jpg
    1003519lr0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for posting this. I 've got a pair of gt40 irons I'm thinking of putting on in the spring. This thread is kinda giving me a nice prelude as to whats to come. Please continue with the pics.

Did you have any work done to the heads other than clean up?

DmnStr8 said:
Thanks for posting this. I 've got a pair of gt40 irons I'm thinking of putting on in the spring. This thread is kinda giving me a nice prelude as to whats to come. Please continue with the pics.

Did you have any work done to the heads other than clean up?

no problem, Im doing a write up as well, so ill keep updating that to help you guys out, the pics are gonna keep coming so dont worry!

And I was on a very tight budget, I was lucky to have the heads come with a valve job, springs, and rockers, I didnt want to spend money on factory heads, so I didnt get ANY work done to them, I just cleaned them up and painted them.

Lucky. My heads only have new springs on them. Gotta take them into a shop and keep my fingers crossed that my budget heads don't turn into a "wish I had just spent the extra money" kinda thing.

Anyway, a write up would be excellent. What did you do for paint? I was thinking of dowing my today actually but the though of all that masking turned my lazy ass away for now.

nice job mob. with the heads you are putting on are you putting on a different set of headers? they look like stock headers. well little better then stock but not the best. we have the same on our 86 is why i am wondering

lean with it rock wit it!! :banana:

haha I guess I was running just alittle lean.

1003526uj0.jpg

1003525sq8.jpg

Attachments

• 1003526uj0.jpg
    1003526uj0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 46
  • 1003525sq8.jpg
    1003525sq8.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 33
ryan218 said:
nice job mob. with the heads you are putting on are you putting on a different set of headers? they look like stock headers. well little better then stock but not the best. we have the same on our 86 is why i am wondering

I have a set of headman longtubes that are going on these heads. The exhaust guy is gonna make my o/r hpipe work for 80 bucks.

DmnStr8 said:
Lucky. My heads only have new springs on them. Gotta take them into a shop and keep my fingers crossed that my budget heads don't turn into a "wish I had just spent the extra money" kinda thing.

Anyway, a write up would be excellent. What did you do for paint? I was thinking of dowing my today actually but the though of all that masking turned my lazy ass away for now.

Yea I agree 100%

Heres the thread on when I painted them. All i did was take an electric drill and a bunch of different bits and got all the paint off, well most of it, atleast on the gasket surfaces. Simple green to clean them. Spray the inside of the ports with brake cleaner and suck it all out with a shop vac to get any metal bits and dust and such out (thanks for that tip daggar :nice:). Then I used cast aluminum silver paint. Not too shiny, I think it came out great.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=663417

What's that sound I hear? Scrape, Scrape, Scrape... Gee that's the 3rd razor blade I have worn out scraping the surfaces clean...