My head swap thread!

jrichker said:
What's that sound I hear? Scrape, Scrape, Scrape... Gee that's the 3rd razor blade I have worn out scraping the surfaces clean...

haha dont worry Joe, itll be looking good when you get here.

Heres the last update for today guys. I reached my goal, got both heads off. Got done at around 5:30, took a cold shower and finally had lunch! i feel great haha. Gotta head out to work soon, so heres the last of the pics for today. Looks like I got ALOT of cleaning to do when i get home! Enjoy.

1003531tx4.jpg

1003530wc3.jpg

1003533tc6.jpg

1003534av5.jpg

Attachments

• 1003531tx4.jpg
    1003531tx4.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 36
  • 1003530wc3.jpg
    1003530wc3.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 46
  • 1003533tc6.jpg
    1003533tc6.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1003534av5.jpg
    1003534av5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 29
  • Sponsors (?)

mob said:
Well latley my threads have become 5 page battle royals! Lets keep this one friendly :D

Anyways, thought I should make a thread about my head swap since Ive started the head swap! Originally planned on getting start tomorrow morning, but I had some time, was bored and said hey mine as well get some of the tideous stuff out of the way. I got a pretty good amount of stuff done, I started at 9:30pm and its 12:30 now, but I took my time, did alot of cleaning, got a bite to eat. I unbolted the headers, took out spark plugs, took off the upper intake, valve covers, and drained the coolant, and took out distributor. I didnt really want to take off the lower intake because theres a few things that go into it like the water pump hoses and that pain in the ass black coolant thing. Ill do that tomorrow when theres some sunlight. Pain in the ass is gonna be the alternator and ps pump grrr, oh well, my buddy is coming to help me tomorrow, Id like to have the heads off by tomorrow, and maybe try to get the new ones on friday, and saturday morning Jrichker is coming to help me finish up the rest. I have 1 and a half days to get as much as I can done, I dont have school, and I only work 6-11 tomorrow, and I wont have a car so ill be working on it for all that time. Im really excited! heres some pics of what I have so far, ill keep posting pics as I do more work. Enjoy, and remember BE NICE PEOPLE!

hey i might have asked this before, but are those P's going to allow you to keep the stock valvetrain geometry i.e. pushrod legnth and so on... i know when i did my non p's i had some pushrod legnth issues and it went all down hill from there :bang: .

Hey Mob,good job so far.Why don't you remove the fuel lines completely so they won't be in your way.Local Auto parts sell the A/C line and fuel disconnects for around $10-15.Also,inspect the pintle caps on your injectors,if they are cracked it would be wise to replace them to avoid issues after start up.I did an intake swap years ago,and forgot to look at the injectors.One of the caps was cracked and completely fell off before I put them back on and when I fired up the engine it ran rich.It took me a while to figure out what it was.......:D

fastimes69 said:
Hey Mob,good job so far.Why don't you remove the fuel lines completely so they won't be in your way.Local Auto parts sell the A/C line and fuel disconnects for around $10-15.Also,inspect the pintle caps on your injectors,if they are cracked it would be wise to replace them to avoid issues after start up.I did an intake swap years ago,and forgot to look at the injectors.One of the caps was cracked and completely fell off before I put them back on and when I fired up the engine it ran rich.It took me a while to figure out what it was.......:D
He has the tool for it but the one will no t disconnect.

Thanks guys! and yea I have the tool to disconnect the fuel lines but it dosent work for crap! What exactly do you have to replace if the injector cap is cracked? Same thing happened to me, one of the caps on the injectors broke off, it goes back on but i doubt itll last very long. Can i replace the cap? or do i need new injectors? Im planning on stepping up to 24lbers but I dont have the money to right now.

Well i better get started on my cleaning tasks!

Oh and 25th, I had set a goal before, and it was to just straight out hit 12's. Thats why I bought the heads and intake. Im still not sure how much of a gain the heads will give me thats why I didnt really set an exact number, thats why ive always said aslong as i hit 12.9999 ill be happy. 12.7 sounds good though :nice: I just need my tranny to give me one good run!

carbed87 said:
hey i might have asked this before, but are those P's going to allow you to keep the stock valvetrain geometry i.e. pushrod legnth and so on... i know when i did my non p's i had some pushrod legnth issues and it went all down hill from there :bang: .

I was told as long as the heads havent been milled or had any work on them my pushrods will be fine.

This thread kicks ass... I need to get off my ass and do some heads on my car lola s;lfjef Like how long do ya think it'll be when you get times on the new stuff ,so I can compare and such?

nonglossjason said:
sweet i love this thread. With taking off the intake how much room can you move the upper intake without disconecting all the hoses and such?

There is a plate connected to the t/b that has 2 10mm bolts, id go ahead and take that out, use a screw driver to take out the throttle cable from the t/b, unplug the iac, tps, and egr, and take out the cai elbow. That shouldnt take you more then 10 minutes and I would say you could probably set the bottom of the intake on each valve cover.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

TomCat said:
This thread kicks ass... I need to get off my ass and do some heads on my car lola s;lfjef Like how long do ya think it'll be when you get times on the new stuff ,so I can compare and such?

Im hoping to have the heads on by today or tomorrow, really all depends on how fast my head bolts get here, and when jrichker comes. Car should be running by monday at the latest. And if everything is good from there I should be hitting up the track next friday.

My whole body is sore :( time to get started on scraping! haha

Hey, while JRichker is there, why dont you have him take a look at your hood gap issue :shrug: might be a good time since you already have the top off the motor..

if it were me, i would literally get in the engine bay with a flashlight, have him close the hood, and look around to see where its hitting.