Progress Thread My Kenne Bell Twin Screw'd Foxbody thread, (new addition to the family)

image.jpeg
My son was very adamant about helping with the detailing of the 5.0 so he's applying Armor All to the tires. We will be going for a cruise tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Yup- still waiting for the "How to" write up on the wheel carts :) lol

I was curious, how does your car/irs ride with all your kids/wife in it?
And the car looks great brother
I actually started to do a write up earlier today and then I noticed something in the picture that I wouldn't want somebody to replicate for safety concerns. I will address the issue, retake some pictures, and finish the write-up.

I have yet to have anyone in the back seat. Only my Son and I have driven in it and I'm curious what it'd be like with some extra weight in the back. It may expose my crappy rear shocks but that would be no surprise to me. My wife has yet to even ride in my Mustang and I don't really want to change that ;). She just doesn't get understand me and my 5.0 so she just stays away and out of the hole thing.

This morning I played with my adjustable Tokico struts up front and so far I'm loving them. I originally had the setting on the most firm (setting 5) and I turned them to 3 for my commute to work and the ride quality (as far as comfort goes) was way better!! Oh, and I could still take those sharp turns at more than twice the "suggested" speed limit :D

I'll drop this mornings pic (whore) here too...
IMG_0380.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Where did you get the casters? It looks like I can buy a set of wheel dollies for less than a set of casters. Thinking maybe get some inexpensive wheel dollies and fashion a lift kit out of a 4"x4". Might require some thought since the casters don't mount the way I would want them to.

IMG_0377.JPG

Got these at Home Depot, they were the most expensive part of the carts. They're about $7 each (16 req'd), 300# capacity each ball bearing caster with a 3.5" diameter for easier rolling. I don't cheap out when it comes to safety. I built these so I could work safely under my car as well as roll it around the garage. I still use some jack stands as backup just in case. The casters are mounted with 2.5"x5/16"dia (or maybe 3/8" dia, i forget) lag bolts with washers, pre-drill the holes to prevent splitting of the wood.

Issues such as? Is there a build thread coming soon? Or is there one already and I've missed it?

I bought it new and now It has 183k miles on it. It won't pass TX inspection currently. Based on the way it's running I have some code issues I need to diagnose. I also have about 4" of play in the steering. The a/c is out again.

I'm at the point where it's do I keep it going or do a complete teardown and rebuild it or do I sell it and find a cleaner example such as your car and go from there?

Reactions: 1 user
I bought it new and now It has 183k miles on it. It won't pass TX inspection currently. Based on the way it's running I have some code issues I need to diagnose. I also have about 4" of play in the steering. The a/c is out again.

I'm at the point where it's do I keep it going or do a complete teardown and rebuild it or do I sell it and find a cleaner example such as your car and go from there?
I think what you do with it depends on how sentimental your car is to you since you've had it this long and you're the original owner and also if you can endure a restoration. At least you know the history. If not, then go find a gem, they're out there. Honestly I'm kinda burnt out on big car projects so after I suck it up and install my HCI engine this winter I'll be done with this car aside from little things. No more big projects for me for a while until the time I do a Father and Son build which will be swapping a 5.0 into a 93' Ranger 4x4. That's down the road a few years though.

@Onefine88
I didn't want to rant and high jack in the other thread that replayman started about his roll cage in his vert so I will do it here in my thread. replayman mentioned "beware....the 99' IRS is weaker".....
All of the IRS rear ends are weak and I'll have you know they all suffer from the same weakness that even the beloved 03/04 IRS suffers from which is WHEEL HOP! Wheel hop destroys the half shafts and differential covers of all the years of IRS. Regardless of 31 spline or beefier half shafts they will still break!! They all need PU bushings pretty much everywhere and either a new FRPP diff cover or a BilletFlow IRS diff cover brace to help cure the wheel hop. Once you get to that point the IRS diff cross brace from an 03/04 is very helpful and can be had for less that $100. Spline count doesn't mean much to me but then again I don't drag race. I see many people with 500hp engines and 28 spline rear ends so......:shrug:

Anyways, good luck to you if you are seriously converting to IRS

-Matt

@Onefine88
I didn't want to rant and high jack in the other thread that replayman started about his roll cage in his vert so I will do it here in my thread. replayman mentioned "beware....the 99' IRS is weaker".....
All of the IRS rear ends are weak and I'll have you know they all suffer from the same weakness that even the beloved 03/04 IRS suffers from which is WHEEL HOP! Wheel hop destroys the half shafts and differential covers of all the years of IRS. Regardless of 31 spline or beefier half shafts they will still break!! They all need PU bushings pretty much everywhere and either a new FRPP diff cover or a BilletFlow IRS diff cover brace to help cure the wheel hop. Once you get to that point the IRS diff cross brace from an 03/04 is very helpful and can be had for less that $100. Spline count doesn't mean much to me but then again I don't drag race. I see many people with 500hp engines and 28 spline rear ends so......:shrug:

Anyways, good luck to you if you are seriously converting to IRS

-Matt
HMMMM,, Ya know you're not the first person to tell me these things. Since I got it, I've had numerous people tell me not to do it for all the same reasons you mentioned. Guess I should have done a little more research. I wasn't planning on installing it until later this Fall or winter.

Maybe I'll just sell the thing,,,, I Da know?

HMMMM,, Ya know you're not the first person to tell me these things. Since I got it, I've had numerous people tell me not to do it for all the same reasons you mentioned. Guess I should have done a little more research. I wasn't planning on installing it until later this Fall or winter.

Maybe I'll just sell the thing,,,, I Da know?
No no no. Keep it. I just re-read my post and I saw that I said "all IRS rear ends are weak" but what I meant to say is they all suffer from the same weakness which is wheel hop. Wheel hop breaks the half shafts and diff but this is remedied by replacing all of the bushings and reinforcing the diff cover. After that it's a very strong rear end. Replayman races his and is powered by a Coyote motor and raceoholic is putting down over 600rwhp through his too. I vote to do it but you need to order some Maximum Motorsports bushings.

@FoxMustangLvr I think the misconception of people is what they think weak is. People hear 28 spline, less robust half-shafts, and lack of bracing when compared to 01/03/04 versions. Then in that case you could say its technically weaker than, but by how much who knows.

I think most people forget how much abuse our 28 spline 8.8s SRA take. Its not a bad upgrade over an SRA by any means and is competitive priced right at an MM TA/PB set up, but IMO a more friendly DD feel. That being said, I think that's why people just go buy 03/04 versions bc they'll already "beef'd up". However, that just drives the price down on the other versions which is fine with me bc it allowed me to get an 99 and 01 irs for $600 and $400 bucks.

Enjoy the smooth ride :burnout:

@FoxMustangLvr I think the misconception of people is what they think weak is. People hear 28 spline, less robust half-shafts, and lack of bracing when compared to 01/03/04 versions. Then in that case you could say its technically weaker than, but by how much who knows.

I think most people forget how much abuse our 28 spline 8.8s SRA take. Its not a bad upgrade over an SRA by any means and is competitive priced right at an MM TA/PB set up, but IMO a more friendly DD feel. That being said, I think that's why people just go buy 03/04 versions bc they'll already "beef'd up". However, that just drives the price down on the other versions which is fine with me bc it allowed me to get an 99 and 01 irs for $600 and $400 bucks.

Enjoy the smooth ride :burnout:
Well said :nice: