My II is out to pasture until further notice.

Eos

Oh Heather Oh yeah... I want your pink taco
Jun 13, 2003
oklahoma
Well thats it for my pony for awhile, he's going out to pasture for awhile. My tranny is gone. I was pulling away from a stoplight. Oddly enough I was thinking about my tranny going out and what I would do if it happened, and I"d been worried about it lately. As many of you may recall a few months ago my other went out and I got this one from salvage and the stupid mechanic screwed me over and getting it fixed properly. So anyway I"m pulling away from the light and it pops out of first, this is normal sometimes, but then it starts making horrible clanking noises and it won't go into 2nd either... and its just nothing but loud ass clanks... it even made that noise. So there I am in almost the middle of the intersection... thank god I have a cell phone, I called my dad immediately. He came about 10 mins later, and the cops were there too. We pushed it to the side of the road and had to leave it. I hope to god no one messes with it. I got out everything I have, including my new stereo face and cds ofcourse! It's just odd how I was thinking of it right before it happened. I had been worried about it alot lately. Because the car had been vibrating more then normal at higher speeds. I just figured it was something else. But I guess it must have been the tranny. The good news, my dad is helping me get a loan so I can buy a cheap daily driver, and he's going to go ahead and transfer my insurance over and take it off my mustang until I get it running again. (probably next year) I'm really gonna miss it.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear that.

Don't get rid of it. If you do you'll be sorry.

Ever think of converting to an AOD? But then you could be into a bunch of money, not for the trans but for the installation. Real mechanics, the ones not going to boff the installation, don't come cheap.

I don't want an automatic! I hate driving them especially for performance. I'll go auto on my daily driver if I must. But my car was already converted to manual and its not going back. I will never sell my II so don't worry about that. But next tranny I get I was looking at the T 5 TKO in mustangs unlimited the ones with crazy torque specs, like 600lb capability lol

I know one person has a Tremec 3550 in his II (a351must2), not sure how easy of a bolt on it is. It really depends on the headers I think.

If you're not making a ton of power, and don't plan to be for a while, I'd consider a T5 first.

Heres the thing:

IIRC, you got the car with the T5 already installed (?), and you have had the trans replaced by a mechanic of dubious abilities (?).

You know what you've been told but can you say with certinty what parts are really in the car?

If I were you I would, before spending one cent more on parts, crawl under the car, pull the trans and start measuring everything with steel rules/ machinest square/ whatever it takes to get good measurments of everything.

I would pull the bell, look for part numbers, check the flywheel, etc.

In this forum I have read not all T5 bells are the same depth, not all input shafts are the same length, etc. If what I've read in this forum is accurate it's possable your parts are mismatched.

A short snout trans in a deep bell could explane alot of things.

Also it's been posted here several times how the trans mount needs 'worked', The way I have read some people rewirk the trans mount is ... well, I'll just say I've cought hell for being honest.

You'll also want someone to check the drive shaft angles and engine placement and alignment.

I guess the short of it is you need to do an installation from scratch complete with parts verification and powertrain alignment.

Least thats what I would do, but then I'm anal.

fastmustangII said:
But other then that its cool?

How much money you have to spend?

If you want to buy a crank to yoke setup you can be pretty sure everythings going to work. Least till you get to the alignments.

Wart said:
How much money you have to spend?

If you want to buy a crank to yoke setup you can be pretty sure everythings going to work. Least till you get to the alignments.

I'm going to start saving money and its probably going to be next year before I do anything about it. I'm just going to get it professionally done and checked out.

fastmustangII said:
I don't want an automatic! I hate driving them especially for performance.

Don't knock it until you tried it with a hot motor and a low rearend ---punch it and hang on. You can't shift that fast well maybe. I love my c-4 with 3.40 gears and did even before I got my posi.

go pickup a junker put new plates in it and a nice stall convertor forget the mechanic get a book DIY It really is not difficult at all you will need a small jack and some stands you won't be disappointed as for cooling lines if your rad won't support get an aftermarket cooler.

ps don't forget the shift kit -- I drive my auto like a standard minus the clutch

Did you know real dragsters use auto's too

I just love manual trans and always have. it is true that for a consistant time at the track an automatic is superior and the c4 that came with the II was plenty tough. I beat the crap out of that trans and it always held. But for seat of the pants feel and just plain fun its hard to beat a manual tranny. You'll get a little more performance if you can hook it up to. My stang will always have one. Now for sitting in traffic everyday it gets a little old for sure.

My II is on hiatus as well with its new engine sitting on the stand beside it. Ive run out of time with work and projects. Im currently lifting and other mods to my jeep which will be my new daily driver/toy.

Im also working on a 67 f100 and it will get an AOD. BTW automatics are better for pulling trailers too.

zwhitr said:
Don't knock it until you tried it with a hot motor and a low rearend ---punch it and hang on.

AMEN... I love my auto, I think the car racing video games are responsible for the manual trans craze. (see cause if your better at the video game you use the manual not the auto, lol) I have actually had teeny boppers come up ooohing and aweing about the car and then say ..oh but it's got a Automatic... lol Go to the track where there's REAL racing going on, not bench racing, and you'll see 90% Automatics!
:lol:

sorry to here about your car, It seems like you really like the II. One good thing is with all this down time, once you do get it fixed you are going to love it that much more, because you missed it so much. If it make you feel better I can't really drive my stang untill spring, Damn winter

50 4 Fun said:
sorry to here about your car, It seems like you really like the II. One good thing is with all this down time, once you do get it fixed you are going to love it that much more, because you missed it so much.

Lets not talk downtime.

If it's true I'll be sleeping in the Shop for quite a while, and not because Wife has had enough of me.

zwhitr said:
Don't knock it until you tried it with a hot motor and a low rearend ---punch it and hang on. You can't shift that fast well maybe. I love my c-4 with 3.40 gears and did even before I got my posi.

go pickup a junker put new plates in it and a nice stall convertor forget the mechanic get a book DIY It really is not difficult at all you will need a small jack and some stands you won't be disappointed as for cooling lines if your rad won't support get an aftermarket cooler.

ps don't forget the shift kit -- I drive my auto like a standard minus the clutch

Did you know real dragsters use auto's too

Agreed.

I wouldnt run a manual gearbox anymore, even if I got one for free. With my manual-valve-body c-4, I get to shift without a clutch, it's instantaneous, and the high stall converter absorbs the shifting shock(which would theoretically help with traction, assuming I had any traction to start with.).

Most importantly, the automatic flexplate + torque converter + 1 quart of trans fluid weighs 12 pounds. (yes, I weighed it)
The stock MII flywheel + pressure plate + disc weighs 65-70 pounds.
What would you rather have swinging around under your legs at 8000 rpm, 12 pounds, or 70 pounds?
After I changed from manual to c-4, the increase in throttle response was dramatic. I stress DRAMATIC.
Built c-4s are smooth, shift instantly, can be ordered with full manual valve body, are far less stressful on the drivetrain, and can handle a LOT of power. I have Dynamic's second-best "mighty mite" C-4, and it will deal with 850 hp. They said if I ever make more power than that, bring the c-4 back and they'll build it stronger. Best of all, they warranteed the unit against breakage unconditionally. They simply said that it won't break, and it hasnt, since I installed it about 5 years ago. It's still breathing and I drive it like I hate it.

Mstng2 said:
AMEN... I love my auto, I think the car racing video games are responsible for the manual trans craze. (see cause if your better at the video game you use the manual not the auto, lol) :

That's funny I do use auto on my Grand Turismo and Need for speed but not very true manuals came about in the 60's with 4 on the floor. and whats interesting nowadays autos are standard and you have to pay extra for the manual

manual's get better mileage due to the slip factor of the auto but with AOD who cares.

Some models have 6 speeds to spread out that torque with insane 1st gear ratios which you could probably shift 1 3 6

With my auto before the rear gear change I could drop 6 grand at 60 miles an hour "T5's need not apply unless the driver can shift"

Mstng2 said:
I have actually had teeny boppers come up ooohing and aweing about the car and then say ..oh but it's got a Automatic... lol

I was at a used Ford car lot last weekend Looking at the F150's I mentioned mustangs he said yeah there's a convertible over there but its got an automatic I said so give me the keys.

ps I also saw the Lightning Holy Crap Batman that is one bad A$$ Truck